Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Why Have Sex?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why Have Sex?
Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wise Janet Weiss         Edit/Delete Post 
(This may be in the wrong forum)

About Sex, Why do we have it?

Other than to have a baby, WHY do we have sex?

Does it improve a relationship?(no)
Is it just fun to do?(?)
Does it improve your trust in your boyfriend?

(sorry if it's in the wrong forum)

~Cynthia

Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I think this is as good a forum as any. Nice question -- let's just remember though that those of all sexes, relationship models and orientations post here, so not everyone who has sex is having it with a boyfriend, nor is pregnancy even an issue for many people having sex at all, eh?)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wise Janet Weiss         Edit/Delete Post 
Oopps, sorry, was writing through my point of view, I'll keep that in mind next time.
Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 30201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's fun. Not having had a long-term bf, I can't really respond to the rest of that. I think it's often a biological need though -like how when you're hungry, eating feels oh-so-good and probably it does make plenty of people feel closer to their partner.
Posts: 443 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's MY personnal point of view on that.

About Sex, Why do we have it?

I personnally have sex because it feels good, makes me feel good and relieves tension. I could compare it with playing sports or taking a walk. It makes me feel good after and part of this is because of all the chemicals it releases in my blood and the release of the tension after and during it.

Does it improve a relationship?(no)

I personnally don't rely on sex to improve a relationship. In some cases, it can improve it but there's also a lot of other cases where it changes nothing to the relationship or does the inverse of improving it. So, for me, I don't expect sex to improve a relationship that isn't going particularly great at the moment or a relationship that went wrong, whatever.

Does it improve your trust in your boyfriend?

Really, for me, I normally have to trust my partner enough BEFORE engaging in any sort of sex with him although I did make some mistakes in the past. But I think it can improve the thrust in your partner a little bit more after but the trust for me have to be there also before.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually in an ongoing discussion with an asexual friend of mine who doesn't understand why I would want to engage in sex/what I find enjoyable about it. Quite frankly, yes, I have sex because it feels good and it's fun. While I would not engage in sex solely to up the intimacy in a relationship - there would already have to be a lot of trust and intimacy in the relationship (not just physical intimacy, either!) for me to engage in sex in the first place, like cool87 said - I think that if done at a good place in a solid relationship, sex can increase intimacy and make for a more loving relationship. Note that it doesn't always, and it should by no means be used to try and "fix" a relationship, as has been pointed out already.

Also, while I haven't engaged in casual sex, I don't think that I would be entirely opposed to it. I think that trust/intimacy is less of an issue there, and that in that situation, sex would primarily be just satisfying a desire - iheartdc put it very well. It's my unofficial opinion that sex feels good because if it didn't, nobody would want to have it and the numbers who did just to have kids would decline gradually, and then the human race would die out. [Razz] (Just kidding... mostly.)

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katherose
Activist
Member # 22441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katherose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fun to do, feels nice.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alea
Activist
Member # 31146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't answer why we have sex, but like other posters, I can answer why I have sex.

I don't have sex because it's physically arousing, feels good, or really anything like that. I'm sexually active because I love and trust my partner, and I want to share everything with him - including my sexuality. If all I wanted was the physical, I'd masturbate. I personally find sex extremely emotionally fulfilling, and enjoy the closeness that it builds between my partner and myself.

--------------------
Obscurity is the refuge of the incompetent.

Posts: 58 | From: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kluekozyte
Activist
Member # 29511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kluekozyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's something undescribably wonderful about physical intimacy - not just penetrative sex. When it comes out of emotional intimacy in a trusting healthy relationship, it can add a lot to the connection between two people. Besides, it's great fun, and it happens that the safest and most fulfilling way to have that fun (I think) is within a relationship or at least between two people who trust each other and know each other on some level.

Does it improve a relationship?
It can't save a bad one, but I think it can make a great one even better.

Is it just fun to do?
Yes.

Does it improve trust?
Intimacy is very intimately connected with trust in a relationship, so while I don't think it necessarily improves trust, and you certainly shouldn't engage in sex because you don't trust your partner and you want to trust him/her more, it may serve to cement the trust between two people and make a more powerful connection than there was prior to intimacy.

Posts: 84 | From: NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow ... You just summed up my feelings on this better than i ever could, klue. Thank you.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.