Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Good Women's Magazines

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good Women's Magazines
Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a class discussion, we had a hard time coming up with magizines that are marketed as "Women's magazines" that we feel possitively and appropriately represent woman.

A pair of our students went over to the corner store and tried to find a representative womans magazine. The best we could do were fitness and cooking, with "WOMEN's MAGAZINE" on the cover of both. We felt that they are not appropriately representations of women any more than cosmopolitan (which we also dismissed) was.

So I am looking for some suggestions of magazines that cover WOMEN'S ISSUES, and portray women positively. Cosmopolitan fails as it implies women to be focused on sex and dress, which I know is often not true.

I heard Jane magazine might be okay, but I'd really like a suggestion from the experts.

--------------------
19, male, interested in Sadomasochism (BDSM) and some bisexual tendancies.

Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 30201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the magazines you're looking for would probably be called "feminist magazines", so you could try a google search. I'm no expert, but I know there's some called Ms., Bust, FEM.
Posts: 443 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TAB
Activist
Member # 4510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TAB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to RedBook, I started reading it when I got married. It's target audience seems to be 30-something married women with kids. I'm an early 20 married with no kids, but I enjoy it anyway.
Posts: 68 | From: right...behind...you... | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing with most "women's magazines" marketed as such in your average market is that they're, first of all, often mostly fashion & beauty mages primarily, and even when they branch out, often insanely if not completely heterosexist.

So, if you're only talking about the Jane/Glamour/Cosmo/Redbook/Woman's Day/Allure variety...big eh from me, really on the whole lot of them.

However, every now and then, some of them do decently at having a slightly wider net per at least getting that women's lives are larger than clothes, hairstyles, makeup, cooking, homemaking and relationships with men. Last I looked, Marie Claire did slightly better; Self was pretty decent, too (but I'm out of the loop on these, because the only time I ever see them anymore are when I'm bored at the hairdressers a couple times a year). Jane's original editor used to do Sassy, a teen mag which was in so many ways SO progressive, but that really didn't carry over much to Jane, IMO.

That all said, I'd much more consider magazines like Ms. or Bitch to be "women's" magazines than any of that lot. And both of those two rock pretty darn hard.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks - I checked out Jane and it was worse than I expected - but the suggestion did come from a forty year old single male english teacher, so.

A friend who is very feminist suggested HERizons as well. Anybody heard of that?

--------------------
19, male, interested in Sadomasochism (BDSM) and some bisexual tendancies.

Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.