Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » lifting the "curse" part 2

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lifting the "curse" part 2
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while back we had a thread about a continuous birth control pill that was touted as being the solution to solving the "problem" of menstruation.

Today I saw something on television that reminded me of that. It was a commercial for a surgical process that was "safe, effective and pain-free" and would end menstruation permanently. It began by saying that when women are done with child-rearing and still have a while to go till menopause, this may be an option for them to end the annoyance that is a period.

It then went on to say that women everywhere of every age now have the option to control their bodies and "end the curse forever". Their motto is "Stop the Flow. Period."

What do you think about such procedures? Would you ever get one yourself if it was affordable for you? What kind of procedure do you think it is? In the ads, it never does mention what type of surgery it is...it may be a hysterectomy or tubal ligation for all the TV-watcher knows.

And what do you think about their advertising campaign--saying menstruation is a curse that should be fought with surgery?

Personally, I'm all for having the option to choose. If someone wants to end her own menstrual cycle, by all means go for it. For me, though, I don't think I'd be able to make such a permanent decision at this age. Maybe if I was older and knew I didn't want any (more?) children, and wanted to be able to be done with it...my own cycle can be rather difficult, with severe cramps and PMS and fatigue and the like.

The thing that really bothered me about this, though, was their use of the word curse. I don't think being female is a curse, and having a period is just one of the things that comes with the whole deal.

So, what are your thoughts?

--------------------
disconnect and let me drift/until my upside down is right side *in*

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as a man I'm perhaps not the best person here. All I will say is that I've always liked the way women have a monthly cycle, with hormones changing levels throughout the month. It seems such a wonderful, natural thing. I'd love to have that myself, and if I was a woman I can't imagine wanting to get rid of it. Of course, I've never experienced menstrual cramps. [Wink]

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 30201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like my hormones. I don't have menstrual cramps. I usually don't PMS. (I've heard this may be related to diet). Plus, I'm generally happy and libidinous. Nope, no artificial hormones are going in my body anytime soon.

I'm also kind of bothered by the way female sanitary product commercials and packaging always has to look sort of pretty and girly (but obviously not explicit)

[ 09-09-2006, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: iheartdc ]

Posts: 443 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually on the painful side of the spectrum; once I get my other varied gynecological problems sorted out, I'll get to addressing my hellishly painful periods.

But even so, I don't think I could give it up. It would just feel.. weird, not to bleed. This may sound radical or even creepy, but I actually like my period once the painful part is over. As cliche as it may sound, it does have a certain power to it, a small part of what makes us female. For me, it's also a monthly affirmation of a women's higher pain threshold.

If push came to shove, I'd look into a temporary solution to stop my periods until I could get it treated. But going for more than, say, 3 months would really weird me out.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGirlfriend
Neophyte
Member # 30645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheGirlfriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I really don't think that I could imagine NOT getting my period every month. Not only dose it give me a day off from school (an old family tradition) but it's just the most natural thing about women. That kind of creeps me out. Can you have kids if you have that surgery? If you can, wouldn't the eggs go bad after a while? Isn't that what my period is for in the first place?

--------------------
on and on reckless abandon, somethings wrong, this is gonna shock them, nothing to, hold onto, we'll use this song, to lead you on

Posts: 8 | From: MA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueveggie
Activist
Member # 26508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueveggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Girlfriend, if I'm not mistaken your eggs won't 'go bad'.. periods are mostly preparation for a fertilized egg and if none presents itself, out the whole shebang goes.

Frankly I would LOVE to do such a thing- but I'm still iffy on the kids front- so for now I will stick to my BC that actually lets me have a life. I'm the opposite from some of you guys- I HATE having my period. Ugh. Wish it would poof and go away!!

Posts: 86 | From: southern CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.