Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » sucky sex ed and virginity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sucky sex ed and virginity
din007
Neophyte
Member # 29796

Icon 12 posted      Profile for din007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man...sex ed sUcKd in our school (developin country with stone age values on sex)...! ok maybe the stone age values are pretty cool since we hardly have any cases of teenage or unplanned pregnancies. I never had a guy till i was 18 and wow...it really opened up feelings and desires in me which really was undestandable. but still, we arnt even allowed to have our guys into our house. my parents pretend that i'm the saint with no guy and im sure by the time i hit 24 the'll be bugging me to get married. (ARGH!) ...i always wonder..Why we cant have sex? i guess it is a personal choice. but everything in society tells us thats its taboo. noone discusses it and if a person falls pregnant "she's feeling sick' is the answer. my school was full of lesbians (the passing phase thingy) coz guys were soo hard to find. and even if you do, they were labeled the 'scarlet woman'. maybe this is the direct result of segregation...hm..
ryt after meeting my guy it was a wild wild ride of crazy adventures (sexual hehe) exept the 'real' deal of course....sighs....
so anyway i guess this is kind of a rant agaisnt our stupid culture....ok mayb not so stupid but oh-so-frustratingggggggggggggg....arghh..ok im calm :)but in a way, u know...TLW..hm...aand i dont mind waiting for the right person...but the wait...wow..sux..sigh...
so here i end my views,
yours faithfully,
The puritan [Wink]

Posts: 24 | From: SL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Scarleteen!

We ask that during your stay here, you post in proper English. This includes grammar and punctuation: it makes it easier for everyone to read, and increases the chances of someone responding to your post.

That said, your post asks an interestinq question of sexual education in different countries. The base of our users hail from the United States, Canada, and various European countries. Because of that, we're fairly well versed in how the various countries approach sexual education.

This is an opportunity to open a dialogue about sexual education outside of our main user base. What sort of things were you taught? After reading through the main page articles and the forums, what sort of discrepencies have you found? For comparision, what are the STD rates and pregnancy rates for your country?

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
sex ed sUcKd in our school
At least you had sex ed. To be frank, I've never had it n school and I use to have those high biology classes but actually we didn't talk a lot about sex.We talked more about our sexual organs, how they were working, women's period but we didn't talk about contraceptives or things like that.

The only time we had sex ed last about one hour. It was when I was about 11 and we had a nurse come in our class to explain us what puberty was and what changes occur in that period. We didn't learn to have safe sex nor how to use a condom nor how to protect ourselves.

So really, consider yourself lucky to have had sex ed even if it was not great. At least, you learned some things that I didn't had chances to learn at that time.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, sex ed in the UK sucks too. That's actually a bit inaccurate to be honest: it doesn't suck, it just doesn't exist.
All they do is teach the girls in Year 7 about how to use a tampon, and teach us about what the various types of contraception are in one 45-minute lesson. Not how to use them mind, just what they are. Oh, and the 'Rhythm Method' or menstruation charting is advocated as effective and allowed, along with abstinence (Catholic school [Wink] ).
We covered what STIs are, and we were told it was vital that we stay protected with 'barrier contraception', although we were left oblivious to the fact that this included oral sex.
And I wouldn't be surprised if there were some guys (not to mention girls) who don't know how to put a condom on.
As for biology and RE! They basically shift responsibilty on each other! I was horrified when my biology teacher, in response to a question about contraception, said 'you'll have to ask the RE department, I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say.' Basically, because it's a Catholic School, they can only recommend contraception implicitly.
In addition, abortion teaching is heavily pro-life, as it is forbidden by the Church to acknowledge the pro-choice point of view. I personally am pro-life, but I will accomodate anyone else's opinion (even if it was my girlfriend who was considering an abortion, ie with my baby).
How many more lives will the Catholic Church ruin before they allow contraception? Or at least some kind of sex education? Miz S, could we send them a petition too?
Just in case a priest ever yells at you, by the way, say 'sex' and you'll get a 10 second head-start. Say 'condom' for 15. [Wink]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
echomikeromeo
Neophyte
Member # 29978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for echomikeromeo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even in California, supposedly one of the most liberal states, sex ed is nothing to write home about. You can't even call it "sex ed", really. Contraception ed, yes. STD ed, yes. Puberty ed, yes. Pregnancy ed, yes. But not sex ed. Would that we had a school programme that would actually teach us what sex was about - and not just sex-that-gets-you-pregnant, but oral sex and anal sex and all that good stuff too.
Posts: 29 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.