Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Misinformation from an Unreliable Source

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Misinformation from an Unreliable Source
Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alatariel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine attends a catholic highschool, and, one day in class, her science teacher informed the class that a woman couldn't get prgnant if she was raped, as God wouldn't allow such a thing, unless the woman had actually secretly wanted it.
My friend put her hand up and informed her teacher about how wrong he was, and he gave her a detention.
Is it even legal to tech this sort of garbage? Or to punish someone for trying to right this kind of wrong?

Posts: 128 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what the Catholic School Board site of Eastern Ontario says on religious education in their schools. Essentially, Catholic secondary schools are intended to be a Catholic environment (as is made note in their religious education mission statements.) However, your friend is within her rights to approach a member of the school she trusts (a guidance counselor, chaplain, teacher) and ask if there are rules against a teacher saying things that are unfounded and cruel to students. (I would wager that in any high school, some women are guaranteed to have been assaulted, and possibly have had a pregnancy risk as a result.) Your friend, and you also, if you choose to support her in this, can go to a higher authority to ask if these things are genuinely permissible under the board's rules.

Such close-minded vitriol seems counter-intuitive to the holistic and loving approach the Catholic board wants to engender in its students, but I'm a cynic who says I'm not all that surprised to hear instances of it occuring. Catholic education is what kept me away from religion for so long. [Razz]

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twentysix
Activist
Member # 26852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twentysix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also attend a catholic high school, and in my ethics class this year, I remember arguing with our teacher about douching. She said it was hygenic and that most woman doctors will reccomend it. As annoying as it might be to just sit there and let her feed everybody in the classroom misinformation, there's hardly anything I could do about the situation, seeing as the school already avoids topics about sexuality and reproductive health altogether. They will regard it as something we mustn't spend too much time on because we'll all magically learn everything on our wedding nights.

Catholic schools can provide students with an excellent education (regarding everything BUT sex), and the best your friend can do is go along with that type of crap and inform her classmates of accurate information later on [Smile]

Posts: 86 | From: california | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lollipop89
Neophyte
Member # 29487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lollipop89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it very sad this is still so widely believed and taught. One of our local counselmen also recently said that girls can't pregnant after being raped because they produce some kind of secretions that make it impossible. The whole thing is just completely outrageous!

It's people who listen to this misinformation instead of advice from a competant doctor who make issues of woman's rights and equality so hard to fight for. I understand that your friend is in a delicate position, as she doesn't want to get into trouble, but the whole situation makes me furious.

Posts: 26 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conker
Activist
Member # 28961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am Catholic and to be confirmed i had to complete PSR classes which were once a night weekly over the summer for each year till 8th grade, and as i got into the 6th grade classes, i was constantly debating against the teachers. they would say that god would look upon guys carrying condoms as sinful and i was so bold to stand up and say so god would rather have me get a girl pregnant then use a condom? ....needless to say i was kicked out of class that day. i heard so much BS that i went to a public school. when i entered my first year of High School i wasnt surprised at all to know there were 12 pregnants girls at the private school compared to the 3 at the public school with open sex discussions. Well i was confirmed really not carry nor did it me anythign to me cause im non-practing, and honestly hate my own religion for what they may or may not do.
Posts: 47 | From: USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.