Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » HPV vaccination approved!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HPV vaccination approved!
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"WASHINGTON (AP) -- Women for the first time have a vaccine to protect themselves against cervical cancer. The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday licensed the vaccine, Gardasil, for use in girls and women ages 9 to 26." -NY Times

This is the NY Times article talking about how the cervical cancer vaccination has been approved by the FDA. For those who don't want to sign up with the site to read the full article, here is a link to a similar MSN article.

Anyways, to make this a more sexual ethics and politics-esque topic, it's well-known that the vaccination already has some opposition by parents. Arguments include that since it may need to be administered fairly early on in life to fully protect kids (like MMR, chicken pox vaccines, etc), it may make kids aware of sexual behavior too early and/or encourage them to be promiscuous.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you consider getting the vaccine for yourself if you're of age? What about making the decision for your kids--current children or any hypothetical future children? What kind of impact do you think/hope it will have on people today?

[ 06-09-2006, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: faifai ]

disconnect and let me drift/until my upside down is right side *in*

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, for heaven's friggin' sake. I am sick and tired of the promisciousity myth, especially in this case. We're talking about a disease that can KILL a young woman, that is uncureable. And they want to withhold a vaccination on those grounds?

What if the flu were transmitted sexually? Would we keep our kids from getting vaccinated for that, in case they decided that being exempt from disease makes them magically less level-headed and grounded?

In short, all a kid needs to know in this case is that it's another vaccination. Something that keeps you from getting sick. That's all. Nobody goes into specifics about how rubella or measels are spread; they just shoot 'em up.

I think it's a wonderful idea. I've heard they're even getting close to a chlaymidia vaccination. That doesn't exempt anybody from using safe sex measures; because in fact, new sexual diseases will likely spring up just as fast as we immunize against the previous ones.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FINALLY!!! This fills me with supreme joy.

Now if they could just get their arses hauling on that male birth control pill...

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard on the news this morning that the vaccination will be available to female Virginia residents at the end of this month.

A series of 3 shots for $360.

Now if they could just get their arses hauling on that male birth control pill...
Hey, I second that!!

[ 06-09-2006, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: oOo Lea oOo ]

And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We vaccinate kids for Hepatitis B, and have for an age, even though most people who wind up with Hep B will not be exposed to blood unless they're having unsafe sex, shooting up or using shared needles in other respects.

And I have yet to hear anyone suggest that Hep B vaccinations will incline children to become sexually active, heroin addicts or want to be coated in tattoos. Boy, oh boy, when I got that Hep B vaccination when I was 8, I know I immediately turned to my Mom and said, "Wow! Now I can go do loads of drugs, have crazy, bloody sex and get your name inked on my butt, Mom!"

The idea that kids even KNOW what they've been vaccinated for and why is just plain silly: heck, most adults don't even know when they were last vaccinated, let alone, for what.

The only difference here is that Hep B is classified as a general infection, and HPV as a sexually transmitted one, and thus, people view them differently, even though both can be sexually transmitted.

Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miz S is SO right. Kids have no clue what they're vaccinated for -- most children who got the chicken pox vaccine aren't even sure what it's for. My generation was clueless about measles too.

I'd definitely get the vaccine for myself, as well as any children I may have in the future.

"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:

The idea that kids even KNOW what they've been vaccinated for and why is just plain silly: heck, most adults don't even know when they were last vaccinated, let alone, for what.

Case in point: I didn't know that I'd been vaccinated against Hep B until my doctor told me after I had my first STI screening, and the antibodies turned up in the blood test. I'm sure my parents would have told me what the vaccination was for if I'd asked them, but I don't even remember having it; clearly it wasn't that important to me.

I am very seriously hoping that the whole promiscuity thing just won't fly with the general population. I know that here in Australia it has been exaggerated a fair bit-- for instance, one of our conservative politicians was quoted as saying that he thought it would promote promiscuity, but he had not in fact said anything like it, and later stated that he'd happily have all of his kids vaccinated at a young age.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.