Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Birth Control Pressures

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Pressures
MissUSA718
Neophyte
Member # 29283

Icon 5 posted      Profile for MissUSA718     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am writing an article for my Journalism class - regarding - whether the pressures to learn about birth control (in school, by parents, dr's etc.) during your teenage years in High School (14-18) puts more pressure on young women to have sex. If you are a 14-18 yr old young woman... please give me some insight on the topic, do you feel more pressure to have sex because you are constantly told about birth control from schools, parents, media etc? If you have experienced this pressure.. and as a result had sex because of it, please let me know. Thanks guys ahead of time for your help!!!!
Posts: 1 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MissUSA, this area of the boards is for staff and volunteer replies only, so users won't be able to reply to you here.

If you just read the boards, you'll actually find a lot of threads relating to this topic, but I'll go ahead and move it for you anyway to the sex ethics and politics area where you can get replies.

(Though it's a bit of an odd question, especially for kids from the states, when in the past ten years, NO federal funds have been given for public school sex ed programs which DO discuss birth control. So, the idea that teens are inundated with birth control information at schools alone is pretty misinformed.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blink
Activist
Member # 18892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miz Scarlet is right--this question seems based on a false premise. It is a big, and, in my experience, untrue, assumption that young women are constantly being told about birth control and safer sex. Most school health curricula teaches abstinence only, and I haven't seen more than the occasional exhortation to wear a condom in the media. As far as one's doctor, it really depends on the doctor, certainly not all doctors push birth control on their teenage patients. In fact, none of the girls in a sex education class for high school students had heard the word "contraception," even though a few of them were sexually active and using condoms.

So the only thing I'll say as far as your question is that I think that sometimes safer sex curricula don't spend (enough) time addressing the fact that not all teens want to be sexually active and teaching them ways to discuss that decision with their partner and stuff. But then again, abstinence curricula don't seem to do that very well either, and I think that, while including that kind of information in safer sex curricula could make it easier for teens to say no to or delay sexual activity, I don't think that it is a large enough factor to influence their decision.

Posts: 106 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nali
Neophyte
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither myself nor anyone I know has been felt "pressured" to have sex due to being taught about birth control. In fact, most schools I know of don't teach about birth control! I don't see any reason why learning about birth control would pressure people to have sex. The media certainly inundates young folks with images of sex, but never have I seen birth control information that made me feel like I should have sex.
Posts: 32 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case it's worthwhile...

...I came of age at a time and in an area where there WAS plenty of comprehensive sex ed, including information en masse on birth control.

And I gotta say, nothing about it was remotely sexy to me. I did not want to race out to go use all of these methods, just to see if a condom or pill worked. I did become sexually active in my teens, but the desire to do so was by no means based in getting birth control information. Heck, it's amazing that I even wanted to have sex given how tricky most methods looked: I can't imagine what mental process would occur to lead someone to want to have sex, or feel they should more so, because of looking at a diaphragm. Even being on the pill for cramps, the fact that I was protected against pregnancy didn't increase my desire to have sex.

Of course, you also have to bear in mind that for those of us who grew up/are groing up anything but hereosexual, the idea that sex = birth control is fallacious to begin with.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea that birth control awareness would lead to sexual activity falls in with the big, hooping, nasty lie that sexual KNOWLEDGE always leads to sexual promiscuity. That whole assumption acts as though all teenagers are just teetering on the brink of sexual desire, waiting for some small sign that it's OK before jumping into the waters. It's simply not true.

Not only is sex something that a lot of teenagers don't feel ready for, aren't interested in, don't want, etc., but sexual education has actually been proven by trial to have ZERO influence on when teenagers choose to have sex. After observing statistics during a time when sex ed was prelevant, as compared to now when they DON'T include comprehensive sex ed (including birth control) in schools, the only difference is that back WHEN birth control WAS being discussed, teenagers were more likely to make use of it when becoming sexually active. Other than that, statistically speaking, teenagers are still hopping into the sack at pretty much the same rate, even though knowledge of birth control is now actually VERY DIFFICULT TO COME BY, contrary to what you seem to be basing your research off of.

[ 06-09-2006, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: RedGoddess ]

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.