Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Sex Education

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex Education
ADUS
Neophyte
Member # 29163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ADUS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should sex Education be taught in Schools or by Parents?
Answer should be in favour and against.

--------------------
Kayus

Posts: 1 | From: Nigeria | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, Children should learn about their sexuality from the beginning. This leaves no room for confusion and no reason to be embarassed to ask questions if they should arise.

I see so many people (parents) in my area that push the sexual talk aside when it comes to their children.

Some of my parents' friends come to visit and bring their younger children. If a child comes up to his/her parent and asks a question, the parent smiles to my mother or father and makes up some elementary exuse that makes absolutely no sense at all.

The only thing I can say to that is c'mon!

I think it is the parent's duty to teach their child about their body. Yea, children would definitely benefit by having sex eduaction in school, but it is an issue that parents need to pay more attention to rather than teachers.

For those parents who are very blunt with their children and don't use pet names for specific parts or make up some fantasy story . . *High Five!*

Sex education shouldn't be so difficult. It really bothers me that many teens, (including myself when I was younger) are clueless about sex, idenity, orientation, their body, etc.

My mother avoids any questions regardng sex or anything like from my brother. She doesn't feel she should have to give the answers and pawns it on my dad, who throws the discussion aside.

They get so embarrassed when I give my brothers those answers and think I am a vulgar person because I do so.

Heck, they've even yelled at my ,soon to be 17 years old, brother (and me a few times) for having condoms in his drawer. I'd be proud that my son was practicing safe sex rather than angry and throw them away!

I hate that people make such a big deal about sexual knowledge.

As a parent, when/if the time comes in my life, I am going to be honest from the beginning. I don't want my children to be embarrassed or think they are going to get into trouble for asking about sex. But, I guess that is a separate issue. Sorry for rambling.

I think it's nice that schools offer sexual education, even though much of it is misleading, but I think parents need to take more responsibility and action in sex education.

Thats my opinion.

[ 06-02-2006, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: oOo Lea oOo ]

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Should sex Education be taught in Schools or by Parents?"

Honestly? This whole back and forth of parents and schools trying to smear off the responsibility on each other like a booger is annoying.

"You do it! It's your kid!"

"No, you do it! You're supposed to be teaching her, aren't you?"

BOTH parties should be having an active role in teaching a young person about sex and sexuality. Both are heavy influences, authority figures, and time consumers, so it only makes sense that both of them should be open and interactive with the knowledge.

Life skills, people...

But then, I could have this same rant as to who should teach a young one how to balance a check book. Pff.

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.