Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Marriage Statistics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Marriage Statistics
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So a couple of days ago, following Miz S's suggestion, I picked up Backlash by Susan Faludi and have been enthusiastically reading it. One thing Faludi discusses at length is a marriage study that made the news 20 years ago, proclaiming that a women's chance of finding a husband decreased dramatically the longer she waited.

And because it's always the case that, when you hear about something once, you're bound to trip over it again and again, this is is an MSN article I found today: Rethinking Marriage

Thought it might be of interest to anyone who's read Faludi's book.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only big "Grrr," in that article (which I expected -- this is mainstream media), is that it really didn't address at all reasons why women who DID find a "right person" STILL might not want to get married. Given, I'm going to be a bit more inclined to notice that given my own feelings, but so are a lot of women, and even among women who want to marry, there's a feminist conflict many face. A friend of mine doing a book on DIY weddings and I were just discussing the other night that (bless her) she included a chapter which DID address couples who wanted ceremonies of some sort which were not marriages or legal marriages.

In other words, it seemed to be a lot about "Phew! You really still can! Just look at these girls!" There was a definate slant in the article (including stating the vast majority of all women of any age want to be married, without citing any data to show that) that marriage must be a good thing, when it's to a good person, etc. rather than a more balanced approach, or any address whatsoever of the reasons why marriage (beyond economics) might not be considered such, even by happily opposite-sex partnered women.

(Enjoying the book? It's dense, but it's a good one.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Yeah, I'm liking it. I have to squeeze the reading in between classes and papers, so I've taken to reading on the bus and in the caf, which is earning me odd looks from people - though, admittedly, that might be more becasue I am voluntarily reading a big, non-fiction book than because of the topic. It's pretty eye-opening, though.)

What I found more interesting than the fact that NEWSWEEK is correcting their numbers was re-reading the original article from the 80's. I figured, given that women bought into it, it must have at least sounded sympathetic. But I found it downright offensive. But that might also be because I am looking at it from another context.

And I think the new article got one thing wrong: They quote a Psychologist from Northwestern as saying that the homosexual marriage agenda is proof that wanting to marriage is a deep-rooted human desire. But from what I've heard and read on this topic, most homosexuals aren't looking to join the institution of marraige for the sake of it, but because they want equal rights - such as the right to visit a dying partner at their deathbed.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Per your last paragraph? You nailed it.

Certainly, for some, there is the issue of the romance of marriage, of wanting a marriage simply as a commitment to a partner.

But if you talk at all to queer marriage advocates, if you read any of what the couples have said even just from the first rush in San Fran when it happened, you hard more about the other issues.

Again, I'd say that comment is yet more of the pro-marriage/every-woman-wants-a-marriage bias I was finding in that piece.

And yeah: that original article was pretty darn offensive, in my book. Of course, it didn't help that every ad running on it when I looked at it was a weight-loss advertisement, either.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing a lot of thinking about the "deferred marriage" issue lately too...
even though Newsweek's updated their article, many people still focus on the notion that deferred marriage is generally a choice, and a risky one at that. Somebody told me the other day that I "chose" not to date but pursued career instead... yeah, right. Where is it written that only women, and especially those in isolating professions like academia, compartmentalize their lives?

I think women kenned to that Newsweek article because it validated their longstanding fears about being single. Because they didn't have examples of sucessful unmarried women over 30, they went with the next best thing, and bought into the faulty statistics.

"Commercial media wisdom tells us single career women are desperate for marriage but will be left on the shelf: if women choose economic independence and professional fulfilment over marriage and child-bearing, the cost will be dreadful -- loneliness, nervous breakdowns, the loss of femininity."

Faludi's observation there is largely true 15 years later. Barbara Dafoe Whitehead recently argued ("Why There are No Good Men Left") that unmarried women over 25 place an extraordinary emphasis on the need to marry, but lack social support for deferred marriage. At the same time, those women are bombarded with unsettling imagery that offers matchmaking in exchange for a fee, cosmetic surgery, or the example of a happy almost-symbiotic couple.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been reading some similar things lately about marriage (I don't have the links right now, but if I find them, I'll post them here), regarding some declarations of the 80s that suggested women who reached 40 without marrying were unlikely to do so. Not only did this turn out to be wrong, there was absolutely NO discussion of the idea that a women might have, you know, CHOSEN, not to get married, maybe even chosen to not to have a partner.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.