Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Vatican considering condoms to prevent spread of AIDS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vatican considering condoms to prevent spread of AIDS
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Article here.

A fellow student told me this morning that Pope Benedict and his cardinals were opening discussions on the use of condoms to prevent the spread of AIDS, especially in countries where it is rampant. After making this face for a few minutes --> [Eek!] I went searching on the net.

While the news isn't as good as I'd hoped (seems the discussion is *very* preliminary, and calling condoms 'the lesser of two evils' indicates something evil about them), I'm stoked that events are moving in a direction in which misrepresentation by clergy about AIDS may change. Often, a priest is the sole and infallible authority in the global South about matters of faith and sex, and the Colombian cardinal did no one any favours when he made the charge that condoms actually make the spread of AIDS worse.

I'm also rather cynical about the part where a woman is not supposed to reject her husband's advances, but is allowed to make him put on a condom because "thou shalt not kill." On the other hand, it is again a reality for many strict Catholics and I'm glad that the opportunity for that much security may become a reality in time.

It drives me crazy that it's taken the church this long to come up with a viable discussion on condoms and AIDS (and other diseases, I'd hope) but I am glad that Pope Benedict seems amenable to the discussions occuring, along with others like stem cell research. So I'm hoping that this dialogue will move the church in a good direction, and potentially save many lives.

What say you?

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djynnjah
Activist
Member # 20056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djynnjah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely a case of small moves being better than none. I didn't get the idea from the article that a woman is 'not supposed to' reject her husband's advances but rather that they expect she won't be able to or that her rejection doesn't matter. If a woman is not regarded well enough in a relationship to have her refusal of sex respected, what's to make her refusal of unprotected sex in particular any different? It's right back to the old "She can kick and scream all she wants but it's going to happen" idea.

I'm definitely glad there is thought going into it. I don't think the conditions being considered are going to be too effective at helping anything to the extent it needs to be, but it's hopefully some kind of start.

[ 04-29-2006, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Djynnjah ]

--------------------
What don't kill you is a learning experience.

Posts: 65 | From: Caribbean | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paradoxical Enigma
Neophyte
Member # 27994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paradoxical Enigma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm...I must say, this is quite interesting to me. Somehow this doesn't seem particularly surprising to me. It seems that the Catholic Church has a history of doing too little too late (think Council of Trent in response to the Reformation). Still, I must say I AM pleased that some progress at least being made.

I admit that I am still classified as Catholic, though I'm not exactly enthusiastic to say so at the moment and I'm fairly dissatisfied with the Catholic church (and what a time, too, what with my impending confirmation). Anyways, I digress. I think this is looking somewhat promising for the future of the Catholic Church, but it seems that, as expected, it's going to be a long road to progress. I think if we're lucky and things don't suddenly tighten up down the road we may even see a bit of lightening up of the Catholic church's sexual policies in a couple decades. I'm hesitant to count on it, though.

Posts: 35 | From: In front of the computer; go figure | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I saw that on the news. I was actually pretty thrilled. "Lesser of two evils", whatever you want to call it... it's opening up a gateway for the sorts of people who bow to the church's every command, be it life-threatening or not. I enjoy that the new Pope has that some moderate-liberal twinge as his predecessor (sp?). The last Pope even promoted Civil Unions which, though far off from what pro-gay-marriage activists/supporters are fighting for, is pretty deliciously open-minded for a CHURCH, if you ask me.

And Djynnjah, regarding this:

"If a woman is not regarded well enough in a relationship to have her refusal of sex respected, what's to make her refusal of unprotected sex in particular any different? It's right back to the old "She can kick and scream all she wants but it's going to happen" idea."

Not quite. I know it sounds hard to believe, but there are a HUGE number of Christians (not just Catholics--and probably not just Christians either, though I wouldn't know about that) who believe that God decreed for women to always welcome their husbands' advances so that he is not left open to "temptation". This is something that many treat as an integral, religious principle, as necessary to "obey" as the other commands they adhere by, and follow whole-heartedly even in relationships where there is much mutual love and respect (though rather misguided, if you ask my not-as-religiously-tollerant-as-I-should-be-by-a-long-shot-in-hell self). Try http://themarriagebed.com/ Though still rather sexist, the couple who runs it try to promote the idea of MUTUAL sexual responsibility, though if you go visit the message boards and just read a few threads here and there, you'll get the idea pretty fast about this whole wife-obligated-to-husband thing. You'll find statements like, "I know that God wants me to always give my husband sex when he wants it so that he is not mislead by Satan". But... I'll shut myself up now.

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djynnjah
Activist
Member # 20056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djynnjah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know about the marital obligation belief, having seen it come up in both the religions I've grown up with. I was just being nitpicky over the grammar, "can't" not being the same as "shouldn't". As far as the phrasing of that particular article goes, to me it looked more like not acknowledging marital rape rather than actively and directly promoting the 'marital duty of a wife' idea. As far as the difference between what was said, what they actually think and what's believed and practiced, I'm in no position to say and it was just the one article.
Posts: 65 | From: Caribbean | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twentysix
Activist
Member # 26852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twentysix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RedGoddess:
Try http://themarriagebed.com/ Though still rather sexist, the couple who runs it try to promote the idea of MUTUAL sexual responsibility, though if you go visit the message boards and just read a few threads here and there, you'll get the idea pretty fast about this whole wife-obligated-to-husband thing.

EEK! THREADS LIKE THIS SCARE ME :

http://www.themarriagebed.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4264

Posts: 86 | From: california | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That makes me sick, frankly. Using a "pediatric speculum" on virgins? Stretching exercises?

No. Just...no.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twentysix
Activist
Member # 26852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twentysix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkChild717:
That makes me sick, frankly. Using a "pediatric speculum" on virgins? Stretching exercises?

No. Just...no.

I think what scares me most is the fact that grown adults think that it's a good idea. I'm only SIXTEEN YEARS OLD, and I know better! Partly because of this website. (Thank you, Scarleteen.)
Posts: 86 | From: california | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paradoxical Enigma
Neophyte
Member # 27994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paradoxical Enigma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, just out of curiosity, I looked at the main site for a bit, and found pretty much all of the things I don't like about Christian dogma as it pertains to sexuality. Above all, the thing that bothers me is that they insist that sexual feelings (usually worded as "lust") are inherently wrong outside of the context of marriage. In addition, I just find a lot of blanket statements which really are not entirely rational or realistic. Often times, they insist that certain adverse circumstances which CAN result from certain tendencies they do not support ALWAYS DO. The problem is that they insist everyone has to interpret the Bible the same way and that every part of it has to be absolute. Sometimes I think people just need to step back and realize that, when it comes down to it, the Bible was written by imperfect human beings, and ones from an archaic society at that, and that naturally you have to take into account the context in which it was written. Besides, who can honestly say that they really know what exactly was meant by everything?

[ 05-08-2006, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Paradoxical Enigma ]

Posts: 35 | From: In front of the computer; go figure | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
EEK! THREADS LIKE THIS SCARE ME :

" target="_blank">http://www.themarriagebed.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4264[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it makes me sick. I mean, if I lived home alone, I would seriously scream and tear at my hair and beat the monitor--THAT'S how much it upsets me. I feel SO SORRY for these poor people. It feels sick to me that in this modern day where information is SO available, anyone who can afford the internet would still unnecessarily hurt themselves and suffer poor sex lives and sexual experiences... for no other reason that religious misinformation!

Edit: Huh, the code is being weird with the quote UBB there. And rereading this post, I realize it sounded highly patronizing. I'm just emotional about it. -.-0 It's frustrating.

[ 05-08-2006, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: RedGoddess ]

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of having lots of foreplay/manual sex, with a real, caring partner before they have full on intercourse, women are being advised to "prepare" themselves for sex, alone?

Wow. That definitely kills any chance they will learn to enjoy themselves. No clitoral stimulation, no orgasms, no pleasure... just "stretching."
*shudder*

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.