Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » What. the. HECK?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What. the. HECK?!
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

I have not been feeling good lately, so I haven't really posted (I'm getting back to the one I started in Relationships once I'm able to get to the desktop again), but this just enraged me SO badly I'll positively POP if I don't drag myself out of bed to post this.

I just received a phonecall. An automated computer voice said, "We are conducting a survey on abortion. If you would not like to participate, simply hang up. If you identify as PRO-LIFE, press 1. If you identify as PRO-CHOICE, press 9."

Seriously, I did NOT mishear. I pressed NINE.

"Thank you for being pro-life! The fight for abortion is now 29 [27?] years old. We are glad you are interested in protecting the rights of unborn babies" etc etc, and then, "If you would like to help us, press 3 now."

Wow. WOW.

So naturally, I just hung up.

Seriously. I HUNG. UP. I set the phone DOWN. It was off, for about ten seconds. Then I thought, geez, maybe I should call this number back (caller ID) to see if I get anyone.

I pick up the phone, turn it on, and...

The message is STILL. THERE. Hogging up my line.

It's just the saaame message playing over and over again, with no option to say "No, thanks". I tried turning my phone off for a longer period of time--about 30 secs--but gee, no, I pick up and it's STILL THERE.

So I try to press 9 again.

The result? The message simply changes to another one, more politically oriented and longer. "Thank you for being pro-life. Right now, we need to get pro-life officials elected to office. With your help, we can win the comming elections for unborn babies. Our biggest challenge is funding." THIS time, if I want to "help" them, I have to press SIX. Wow, the number changed?

So I'm just pressing numbers to try to get it to go away, before finally am left to pressing 1, and it says, "Thank you! We will contact you by mail with information in a few days. Goodbye." And hangs up.

WHAT. THE. !(&@*($.

Is this illegal? Can I report this to the police?

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Puh. Just like them to do something like that. I remember something similar happening during the previous elections.

Unfortunately, it's a pretty common trick. I don't think there's anything you can do legally. It angers me to hell too.

I guess if they continue calling/hogging the line, you COULD report the number to the FCC; but considering it's a government instituition, I don't know how much weight a complaint against pro-life brainwashing would carry.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miss Lauren is right, as far as I know - this is all perfectly legal, and that is so maddening. You can report the number if you want (not sure how far it'll get you though, especially in this administration); as well, is it possible to call your phone company and have the number blocked so that you don't get any calls from them any more?

[ 04-26-2006, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greenapp1es
Activist
Member # 28071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenapp1es     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just because its political doesn't necessarily mean its not a private group supporting pro life candidates running for office. It may be official/government...it may not. I'd say its worth reporting though...see what happens. Don't hold your breath...but worth a try.

I've had someone say that pulling the line cord out of the base of the phone instantly disconnects a phone call...but I'm not sure if this is at all accurate. Possibly a solution though...

Edit: opps...rereading I understand you're not claiming the caller government...my bad.

[ 04-27-2006, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: greenapp1es ]

Posts: 96 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_Sithney
Activist
Member # 28185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint_Sithney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Annoying, yes, but calling it brainwashing is a little harsh. To insinuate that everyone who is pro-life is brainwashed is to discredit all the people who reached that decision after careful soul-searching and thought.

It sounds more like a private campaign than a public one- these things do happen on both sides of the aisle. Just one more inconvenience brought about by two sides who are ever-increasingly unwilling to understand each other.

--------------------
'My nerves are bad to-night. Yes, bad. Stay with me.
'Speak to me. Why do you never speak? Speak.
'What are you thinking of? What thinking? What?
'I never know what you are thinking. Think.'
-T.S. Eliot The Waste Land

Posts: 71 | From: US | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To insinuate that everyone who is pro-life is brainwashed

Except that, as far as I can see, nobody here did insinuate that.

Just one more inconvenience brought about by two sides who are ever-increasingly unwilling to understand each other.

I'm not sure how the pro-choice side can be held responsible for nuisance calling from "pro-lifers".

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coercive persuasion IS part of the defintion OF brainwashing, so yes: a call in which one is tricked to represent themselves in a way they would not, and did not choose to, has effectively had someone attempt a form of brainwashing, by the org that called, which identified itself as pro-life.

And the people responsible are the people who called. Let's not derail another discussion with this approach, eh? Seriously. Enough.

In any event, Red, on a practical note, you can go here -- https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx -- and get your number taken off any sort of solicitation list to call.

And if someone still calls you with anything at all like that, from that poll to selling the paper, and you file a complaint with that registry, they will be fined.

So, that's what you can do.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_Sithney
Activist
Member # 28185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint_Sithney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by logic_grrl:
To insinuate that everyone who is pro-life is brainwashed

Except that, as far as I can see, nobody here did insinuate that.

Just one more inconvenience brought about by two sides who are ever-increasingly unwilling to understand each other.

I'm not sure how the pro-choice side can be held responsible for nuisance calling from "pro-lifers".

I was talking about how annoying it is when either side makes these repeat political phone calls. All through the election, I got up to two calls a day from the the local Democrat headquarters telling me that my vote was necessary to defeat the evil Republicans. At the time, I was a registered member of the College Republicans (I've since decided I'm far more libertarian). I called them to try to politely explain that I was not a Democrat, but I was still called very frequently. It's a rotten thing to do no matter who does it, and the platform should do whatever they can to discourage these crazies.

--------------------
'My nerves are bad to-night. Yes, bad. Stay with me.
'Speak to me. Why do you never speak? Speak.
'What are you thinking of? What thinking? What?
'I never know what you are thinking. Think.'
-T.S. Eliot The Waste Land

Posts: 71 | From: US | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saint_Sithney, I think that the difference between what happened to you and what RedGoddess is reporting is that you were being annoyed/harrassed, which is bad, but RedGoddss was being annoyed/harrassed AND misrepresented. No one is going to be including your phone calls in statistics that misrepresent your opinion, in a way that could well be used to lobby political groups for a cause that she deeply disagrees with.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Coercive persuasion IS part of the defintion OF brainwashing
Now I'm curious--what is the WHOLE definition? Do you have any links on that subject?

Either way, thank you for referring me to that site--we DID register our number some time back, so I filed a report and that's that. Hopefully their arses will get fined.

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here, have a Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwashing

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anya
Neophyte
Member # 28969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a UK resident in a society where we are mercifully liberal (or possibly just noncommital, as has been suggested by a comedian or two), I am quite horrified. I hope to god that this could never happen in the UK, and am pretty confident there would be riots if someone tried it. Started by me. Mind you telesales people work by the same inexorable priciples and I don't riot about them.

But still, that sort of thing is scary.

Posts: 1 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.