Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Duke University Lacrosse Players Gang-Rape African American woman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Duke University Lacrosse Players Gang-Rape African American woman
ax50607
Activist
Member # 27650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ax50607     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh. What do you guys think about this? It has gotten a whole lot of media attention here- there are protests and prayer meetings and news reporters and rallies and other such crazy stuff all over the place.

Personally, I think this is outrageous- but the worst part about it is that things like this happen on college campuses ALL THE TIME, but people only rarely speak out about it.

Why does this happen? Who/what is to blame? What can we do about it? How should the university respond?

"In the early hours of March 14 at 610 N. Buchanan Blvd. two black
women went to work as exotic dancers for a Duke Lacrosse Team party.
The women were surrounded and had racial slurs flung at them by the
aggressive men. The two dancers tried to leave but were coaxed to
return. One of the women was pulled into a bathroom and raped,
sodomized, and beaten by at least three white men for over half an
hour. The accusations are first-degree rape, kidnapping, assault by
strangulation and robbery, but the members of the Duke Lacrosse Team
are maintaining a strict code of silence. "

"Durham police had 46 members of the Duke University lacrosse team
DNA-tested Thursday in the suspected gang-rape of a woman at an
off-campus party last week.
Police think at least three of the men could be responsible for the
sexual assault, beating, robbery and near-strangulation of one of two
women who had an appointment to dance at the party March 13, according
to a search warrant.
Such a broad DNA sampling early in an investigation is unusual,
several local lawyers said.
The assault allegedly happened in a house shared by three members of
the men's lacrosse team, Duke officials said."

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/421799.html

Posts: 69 | From: NC, US | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.) I think they were idiots to hire "exotic dancers" anyway. I'm sorry, but it's a party for a lacrosse team. Their behavior, good or bad, is going to reflect upon the school. These guys need to at least THINK, and try to behave like civilized men rather than walking hormonal cess pools.

2.)There is no excuse for their behavior. I don't care what those women were doing at the party. They should have both been treated with respect, and their race/nationality should have absolutely no bearing on how they are treated.

3.)No one ever has the right to rape anyone. That's all I have to say about that.

Personally, everyone in attendance should at least be put on probation until the matter is investigated further and the culprits are found out. Some sort of reprimand should go out to anyone who harassed the women. As for the men who raped her, they should obviously be expelled and arrested. Toss the jerks in prison and see how they like it when THEY'RE in line to be violated like that.

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ax50607:

Why does this happen? Who/what is to blame? What can we do about it? How should the university respond?

If you can come up with a satisfactory answer to that, and furthermore, act upon the information, I think a Nobel Piece prize would be in order.

There are theories that rape isn't so much about sex as it is about power. As far as who's to blame, that would require looking back on the entirety of human history. Rape has often be used as a war tactic.

I personaly find the fact that the team members are protecting the guilty to be rather disgusting, and reflects on the character of the whole team, not just the guilty.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim007
Activist
Member # 17533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkChild717:

I personaly find the fact that the team members are protecting the guilty to be rather disgusting, and reflects on the character of the whole team, not just the guilty. [/QB]

But is the team really protecting the guilty ones? I think its pretty clear that Finnerty and Seligmann aren't guilty of rape. ATM receipts and a black cab driver's testimony suggest that the two white defendents are innocent. Since the black community in Durham has been screaming that justice will not be served because the victim is black and the defendents are white, why is it that a black cab driver from that very same community says that those two are innocent? So, suppose that you were accused of rape, and you clearly didn't do it (like Seligmann and Finnerty). You were arrested and your photos have been plastered all over the front pages of newspapers and magazines. If you knew who committed this rape, wouldn't you release that information if it could save you from a possible jail sentence and ontinued public humiliation? I would, as would most of us. Not many people are willing to go to jail for someone else, even for their friends.

I'm not suggesting that she wasn't raped, although that could easily be debated. I'm saying that these two defendents are not the perpetrators. Rather, they are victims of Mike Nifong's political campaign to get reelected early next month. Blacks account for approximately 40% (wow thats pretty big) of the voting populace in Durham. In reality, Nifong doesn't know who raped the accuser, if anyone, but if he wants to secure the black voting block he can definately go out and seemingly prosecute some rich white kids that go to Duke who are part of a group that was yelling racial epithets at a black stripper who was a mother of two.

Is this woman a victim? I'd say probably yes (a medical examination indicated that she had marks and a demeanor consistant with someone who had been raped). Is it right though, to make victims out of two kids associated with the case, but not guilty of any crime?

I'd say no.

[ 04-24-2006, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Jim007 ]

Posts: 63 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ax50607
Activist
Member # 27650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ax50607     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, yes. This has turned into such a huge issue here and nobody really knows anything. The whole ordeal (and especially the media and its influence) really angers me.
Posts: 69 | From: NC, US | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim007
Activist
Member # 17533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just noticed that the previous post was made back in march, long before Seligmann and Finnerty had been arrested.

It would be nice, though, to hear different opinions on the case. Was she really raped? If so, was it at the party? What should be made of the 2nd stripper? Is she a credible witness? Are politics playing a role in the legal process (As I noted above, I think so, but its definately debateable)? Is race playing a role in the legal process?

Those are just a few questions. There are a lot more with this case, and it'll certainly be interesting to see how this will play out.

--------------------
Eat, drink, and be merry

For tomorrow we die

~DMB

Posts: 63 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ax50607
Activist
Member # 27650

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2006/04/24/News/Lawyers.Question.Lax.Lineup-1867358.shtml?sourcedomain=www.dukechronicle.com&MIIHost=media.collegepub lisher.com

the most recent article.

likewhoa19
Activist
Member # 28218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for likewhoa19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"But is the team really protecting the guilty ones? I think its pretty clear that Finnerty and Seligmann aren't guilty of rape. ATM receipts and a black cab driver's testimony suggest that the two white defendents are innocent. Since the black community in Durham has been screaming that justice will not be served because the victim is black and the defendents are white, why is it that a black cab driver from that very same community says that those two are innocent?"

Okay sir, let's get one thing straight. Black people and all people are individuals and as such, they act as individuals. A black cab driver doesn't automatically freaking represent the black community, k? It's not like the fact a black cab driver said the boys are innocent is the ultimate proof they didn't rape a black woman, any moreso than a white cab driver saying they were innocent would be.

Posts: 193 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ax50607
Activist
Member # 27650

there are also more links to other articles and opinions on that same site. do a search
Jim007
Activist
Member # 17533

quote:
Originally posted by likewhoa19:
It's not like the fact a black cab driver said the boys are innocent is the ultimate proof they didn't rape a black woman, any moreso than a white cab driver saying they were innocent would be. [/QB]

I'm not saying that the cab driver represents the whole community. I'm saying that based upon his race and socioeconomic status and the fact that most people of the same race and socioeconomic status in the Durham community don't look too kindly on rich Duke students, one would probably expect him to believe that Seligmann and Finnerty committed a crime. Regardless, he has no reason to lie or otherwise support the boys.

Once again, I'm not saying that the stripper wasn't raped. As I noted above, medical evidence suggests that she was. I'm just saying that Seligmann and Finnerty are getting a raw deal because in my opinion, based upon the news reports I've seen, she was mistaken when identifying those particular boys. After all, she was "pass-out drunk" (according to stripper #2) and possibly under the influence of a date-rape drug. If you are that intoxicated, how can you be 100% sure of a particular person's face?

Jim007
Activist
Member # 17533

quote:
Originally posted by ax50607:
there are also more links to other articles and opinions on that same site. do a search

Yeah the Duke Chronicle definately has a lot of information on the case, since it is the Duke student newspaper. Because it is a student newspaper (run by the lacrosse team's peers), however, I'm a little bit wary to take information from it that I can't verify somewhere else. I've been following the case primarily from msnbc.com. The chronicle does have some pretty interesting opinion pieces on the case, though.

--------------------
Eat, drink, and be merry

For tomorrow we die

~DMB

JenatDuke
Neophyte
Member # 28638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JenatDuke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured I should write on this as I'm currently in grad school at duke. What happened was tragic. (full stop) The situation is sticky though, as the media have hyped it up out of control, elevating the stakes so that no one can come out undemonized. I think the pricks who did this were egotistical jerks who need to be punnished under the law. I also pray that the woman in question finds a strong support network to help her heal. As far as the campus, they really are doing the best they can to address violence, racism and specifically sexual assult. Not as a justification by any measure, but this sort of thing happens on campuses all over the U.S.--I wonder why this incident was blown up and broadcasted on every major news station? Students at Duke generally are good kids who, yes, are privledged, but generally aren't violent preditors. I can't stand the way the media has been portraying the situation...where were they at my last college (much smaller) when a similar situation happened?
Posts: 9 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tricky thing is that there's really NO group that we can say "aren't violent predators."

Rapists are wealthy just as often as not. Rapists are educated just as often as not. Rapists are often the exact same guys that from the outside, others would say are "good kids."

And those false assumptions perhaps explain why incidents like this sometimes get the coverage they do (pity they don't more often): because people are taken aback because they have made assumptions about who rapists are and found those assumptions to be false.

College campuses ARE very big trouble-spots when it comes to rapes. Plenty of coleges HAVE tried to hide or downplay their rates of assault: plenty of college with asports teeams have coevered or tried to cover rapes by athletes because their stakes in the team are so high.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have very bad sidescroll in this thread caused by long url's. Would the posters of long url's please use http://tinyurl.com/ to reduce the length of the url? Nothing is lost and it makes the thread easier to read.

[ 05-11-2006, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Bobolink ]

--------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.