Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Calling Young Feminists!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling Young Feminists!
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The All Girl Army wants YOU!

All Girl Army/ The Young Feminists Project is looking for a few good women to create, nurture and enjoy a women's community targeted to young women internationally, who identify as feminist, between the ages of 10 and 23.

We expect to debut the site in May of this year, and it will include:

• 29 featured blogs by young, feminist women and one overarching blog, collectively edited and compiled.
• An active, moderated discussion board primarily serving, and intended to benefit, young women with a limited area for those of all genders, as well as a limited area for women over 23.
• Cooperative ownership and management of the site.
• Collective, dynamic projects driven by young women.
• A myriad of current resources for young feminists: books, magazines, film, music, art, events and symposiums, other websites, scholarship funds and organizations.

What's our goal?

• To increase visibility and self-representation of young women: of your lives, your ideas, your goals, your achievements and your struggles: to counteract lookism and the media's representation of young women with your real voices, unscripted words and real lives.
• To help foster a supportive, creative and proactive women's community, and nurture relationships and discussion among women of all ages; to help young women develop their feminism and their autonomy via women's community, and discover that other women are allies, not competition.
• To create and sustain a collective board of feminist women of all ages to manage the site, with a majority vote in decisions given to women under 23; to provide experience for young women in creating, organizing and managing community, advocacy and support for women.
• To provide mentorship for young women to learn skills you're interested in.
• To provide a visible exploration and examination of feminism, of growing up female, by and for young women.
• To show the world the hearts and minds of a whole lot of seriously awesome young women, and to give others, young and old, the chance to be as inspired by all of you as we are.
• Our board and founders are an evolving and eclectic group of women of all ages, from all walks of life. We are everything from a mother of ten to a sexuality educator; from an IT professional to an advocate for battered women; from a women's studies student to a sculptural jeweler, all of us feminist, all of us dedicated to women.

One woman said that what we're trying to do is "like the radical Girl Scouts!" That sounds pretty good to us. Namely, we want to pass the torch in the best ways we know how, because we feel that all of you are going to redefine feminism as we know it, and have the capacity to make an incredible mark on the world. We feel the internet is an optimal place to do so because it gives us the ability to work internationally and dynamically.

We still have several spots available for bloggers right now, and will continue to accept new applications over the next few weeks.

Want to take part? Click here for our application. Click here if you are over 23, and would like to volunteer.

For questions, press or more information, contact:

Heather Corinna: heather @ allgirlarmy.org
Jeyoani Wildflower: jeyoani @ allgirlarmy.org
Jenny Lobasz: jenny @ allgirlarmy.org

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Psssssst...

We still have a few spots left to fill, but they're going fast!

We especially are interested, given the rest of the group we have so far, in young women between the ages of 13-16, and in teen mamas.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

One more shout-out about this, as we're in our last week or so of looking at applications and doing acceptances for the first wave. We're looking at a May 15th site launch at this point, and I would loveloveLOVE to have some of you from here apply.

Just a word: part of the point of the All Girl Army is to create a really diverse community of young women. If you have a concern that something about you "disqualifies" you from women's or feminist community, please know that even as of right now, we have everything from two children of a radical feminist/homeschoolin' mama to an evangelical young woman from a very traditional family working in social work. Our point is to OPEN the doors, not to gate them.

[Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

And we're live!

Check it out: http://www.allgirlarmy.org/

...this also means all of you get me back after I get a days sleep and catch up on a week's worth of dishes. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

lollipop89
Neophyte
Member # 29487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lollipop89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what an awesome site! Thank you!!
Posts: 26 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, just wondering, when you say you're setting up a teen feminist website and want support from 10-23 year old girls, is that rejecting any male claim to feminism? I'm 15-year-old male feminist (albiet possibly the only one in the UK [Smile] ) and I am often disgusted by male behaviour. Women are often far more thoughtful and caring (probably a very good reason why i have so many great female friends), and although equality would probably be better, if anyone should have the upper hand genderwise I believe it should be women. (In case you were wondering, the internet quiz on tickle.com rates me as 85% feminine [Smile] ) My point is, men can be feminists too just as some women in olden times thought masculinists had the right idea. So surely we should be allowed to make our contribution to this project too, right?

[ 07-01-2006, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: smileyjoseph ]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lollipop89
Neophyte
Member # 29487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lollipop89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an FYI...being a feminist and being effeminate are two totally different things. Feminism is a philosophy and movement largely concerned with gender equality, particularly socially and politically. Even very masculine men can be feminists.
Posts: 26 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

This particular project is geared to young women between the ages of 10 and 23, because it is often very difficult for young women to have any space of their own; their own community. There is an all-genders area on the forums for the site, however, in which men may participate.

And the approach here isn't about being disgusted with male behaviour: it's about WOMEN, not about how women feel about men. It's also not rejecting a "male claim" to feminism: most feminist aims aren't about ownership of feminism as theory or practice; merely about working for equality and women's visibility.

[ 07-01-2006, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Miz Scarlet ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

lollipop89
Neophyte
Member # 29487

And Miz Scarlet, I was just looking at the site and saw that you only have 28 bloggers. Does that mean that you still have room for a 29th...?
Heather
Member # 3

(We are absolutely still accepting applications, lollipop! And some of our bloggers are of an age which will roll them over into being over 23 in the next year, so...if you want to apply, please do!)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

lollipop89
Neophyte
Member # 29487

One question about the application: Would you mind if I combined the paragraph about myself with the question about what I want to give/get out of the project into one longer answer?
Heather
Member # 3

We're all about creativity, so however it works for you, have at it. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

lollipop89
Neophyte
Member # 29487

Thanks!! Sent! [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Awesome! I'll pass it on to the committee members in charge of apps, and we'll get back to you in time!

(In the meantime, feel free to register for the boards there and chat away!)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

thathollygirl
Activist
Member # 29912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thathollygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude. Sounds awesome. So I guess I oughta apply.
Posts: 70 | From: place | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rayn
Neophyte
Member # 29306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rayn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm also going to apply, but i was wondering when your *year* starts? as in, school year? or january, or the persons b-day....
thanks
Carolyn

--------------------
"Im not the next of them, I am the first of me..."
-First of Me, Hoobastank

Posts: 24 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Hey, Rayn. [Smile]

It doesn't have a start or end per applications: when we get a vacancy in the number of bloggers we have, we then review new applications. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

I'm bumping this up, because we're going to have some openings again soon over at the AGA.

Right now, our big priority are bloggers who a) can keep up with the requirement to blog once a week and b) either already have done or are truly interested in doing some real reading per feminist theory, and applying that to their entries and observations. We also very much need bloggers who have real dedication to collective community per the message boards, reading other bloggers posts and enaging discussion, etc.

So, if you've interest, please apply! And feel free to ask me any questions here or in email if you've got'em.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

OnceOnABlueMoon
Activist
Member # 33148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OnceOnABlueMoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm like brand new to this thing really, and I'm not exactly sure as far as what views you're after, but blogging I have covered. I have several blogs around the Internet and for me writing is as much apart of me as my fingernails or my eyeballs. I'm an English writing major as a matter of fact. I'm 21.

But the writing part of it aside, what else is required-ish? I s'pose I should check out this site, eh?

Posts: 48 | From: North of Hell South of Paradise | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Might be helpful. [Smile]

We're not after particular views. Rather, we're after bloggers who are earnestly interested in feminism, decently versed in at least some feminist theory (as opposed to the pop-culture brand of feminism, which tends to not be aprticularly critical or analytical), as well as really looking to dedicate themselves to a women's community.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

selina
Activist
Member # 33376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
now why didn't i find this forum earlier! its a great site and if you require another person, i wouldn't mind being of some help. i don't own a blog but if i wrote something and sent it in, would that count?
Posts: 94 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Selina - you don't need to have a blog of your own. AGA provides a blog for you. All you gotta do is apply and get accepted. There's a link to the application form in Heather's original post.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selina
Activist
Member # 33376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i will apply tomorrow when i have more time. thanks again
Posts: 94 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IHKVEC
Neophyte
Member # 35779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IHKVEC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh wow... feminism! [Smile]

yay! cheers!

Posts: 4 | From: uk | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.