Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Assult Victim Denied EC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Assult Victim Denied EC
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that with the recent discussions of OTC emergency contraception, that this news story was rather poingant, relevant, and moreover sad.

A rape victim was unable to get EC because no one carried it--the one pharmacy that did refused to dispense it on moral grounds.

The article is here.

The article contains some interesting tidbits, like the statment that FDA scientists are resigning over the decisions made.

What do you all think?

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
My own personal feeling is that refusing to dispense a legally prescribed medication should be grounds for the revocation of the pharmacist's licence and the licence of his/her employer to dispense prescription medication. But with the right-wing fundies (I will not sully the word "Christian" by associating that word with them) working to increase teenage pregnancy, there is not much chance of that happening.

------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 10-26-2005).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been away for quite a while, so I'm not sure if this website has come up yet: http://www.raisinghervoice.org/
RaisingHerVoice.org: Sexual Assault Survivors Speak Out
quote:
RaisingHerVoice.org provides a safe space for survivors of sexual assault to share their experiences with emergency contraception (EC or the "morning-after pill"). The website aims to raise awareness about the important role of EC during a time of crisis. Please note that some of the material on this website may bring up unexpected feelings for survivors of sexual assault.

I think stories and sites like these are extremely relevent when topics like these come up.

I'm with bobolink on this. This is prescibed medication and for a woman in this situation, it is very much an emergency issue. The pharmicists job is to dispense medication. If they can stop BC and EC from being dispensed on 'moral' grounds then what's next?

------------------
Consciously Naive

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zander
Neophyte
Member # 23420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

Wow, i have never hear of anything like this before. If anything like that happend where im from, (hamilton, Ontario, Canada) people would raise Cain. Its simlpy not right, i so many ways , this 20 year young women is now forced to have a baby, not by her will, but by the will of the assulter and the phamacy!!!( basicly)
this troubles me and i hope this happens to no one else.

Posts: 28 | From: Hamilton | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.