Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Metro Detroit Teen Sentenced to Community Service in Anti-Choice Center

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Metro Detroit Teen Sentenced to Community Service in Anti-Choice Center
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Detroit News today there was an article that was a follow-up to a previous story that I'd read earlier in the year, where a then-16 year-old boy hit his girlfriend in the stomach over the course of about three weeks (not for the entire time, of course) with a minature baseball bat to induce a miscarriage. After pleading no-contest to the charge last month, he was sentenced recently to 200 hours of community service, which he must in turn perform in a Macomb Country anti-choice crisis center.

I just posted in the ST Blog with my response and thoughts on the matter, so there's really no need to repeat myself here (and since everyone reads the blog, they undoubtedly already know what I've had to say ), but I did want to open this up to discussion amongst the users here.

Let's keep in mind, though, that I'm merely opening up the sentencing for discussion here, and not for a debate on abortion itself. So, before this even gets a chance to disevolve into a discussion on the morality or legality of abortion, especially in light of our Pro-Choice policy, so let's just try to stay centered on whether or not we feel that this sentence is fair, and if this ruling indicates that the court is trying to press an anti-choice point-of-view.

------------------
Tim, as in "Donate"

[Edited to fix URL and spell-check.]

[This message has been edited by Dude_who_writes (edited 09-30-2005).]

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.