Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Sexual Activism

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sexual Activism
ahli
Neophyte
Member # 19598

Icon 10 posted      Profile for ahli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe that it is International Month for Masturbation, and in this spirit, I would like to ask few questions about Sexual Activism.

Firstly, why should people who are under 18 be precluded from becoming involved in sexual activism of this nature? People are far more readily accepting that adults masturbate, but never that teenagers masturbate...

Additionally, there has been moves here in Australia by the QLBT movement to protest the Red Cross Blood Donation Drive because the Red Cross will not accept blood from someone who has had homosexual sex in the last 12 months. Does Scarletteen endorse the Red Cross's position on this?

Thirdly and finally, it appears that Scarleteen is broadly in support for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender peoples. Does Scarleteen support Gay Marriage? Or does it believe that Marriage - QLBT or heterosexual, is perpetuating a hetero-normative stereo type, and a form of state sponsored monogomy?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciate, although I know that Heather is busy at the moment.

Posts: 20 | From: NT | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AskST is moderator-reply only, so in the spirit of broadening the response pool, I'll move this to... (reading over contents again) Sex Ethics and Politics

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Scarleteen tries to be broadly inclusive of people's sexual orientation. On our splash page, it says that Scarleteen is a pro-choice site. That is the only sexual issue on which we have an official position. If you go to the Guidelines (link at top of this page) you agreed to them when you registered, you will see our rules about conduct on this site. We also do not support illegal actions.

------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 05-25-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 05-25-2005).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahli
Neophyte
Member # 19598

Icon 10 posted      Profile for ahli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bobolink:
If you go to the [b]Guidelines (link at top of this page) you agreed to them when you registered, you will see our rules about conduct on this site. We also do not support illegal actions.

[/B]

Thank you for pointing out the Guidelines. However the question was not in reference to 'illegal' actions, and I believe you have answered my question superficially - perhaps due to the fact that Scarleteen only has one 'official' status.

Perhaps Bobolink, Gumdropgirl and Miz Scarleteen and others could give their own personal opinions on these questions: let me rephrase them...

1. Do you think that under 18's should be able to participate in 'National Masutrbation Month'?

2. Do you support the Red Cross's stance to refuse the blood of people who have been engaged in Homosexual relations in the last 24 months?

3. Do you support gay marriage? Do you believe that marriage is an institution for state sponsored monogamy?

Posts: 20 | From: NT | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 10 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps Bobolink, Gumdropgirl and Miz Scarleteen and others could give their own personal opinions on these questions: let me rephrase them...

If you want to ask everyone these questions, you're welcome. But you're likely to find that different people answer them differently, and none of those answers will represent some sort of Official Position Of Scarleteen.

Scarleteen aims to give people information so that they can make their own choices; that inevitably makes us pro-information, sex-positive and pro-choice. But we're not out to dictate what people should believe beyond that.

Personally:

1. Since under-18s can and do masturbate at any time of the year, I'm not sure what the problem would be with them masturbating during any one particular month! If I'm missing something, please explain.

2. I think the Red Cross is misguided. I do understand the reasons for trying to screen out people in high-risk populations, and think they have the right to try to do so (in fact, I'm barred from donating blood under the UK rules, as my work means I get regular scratches and bites that break my skin). But sexual orientation alone obviously doesn't make someone any more at risk of having blood-borne diseases!

3. As long as anyone has the right to marry legally, I think that same-sex couples should have that right as much as anyone else.

I personally would also support extensions of marriage rights to groups larger than two, and a range of civil partnership options for people who don't want to marry but do want their partnership acknowledged by society.

I don't see anything intrinsically heteronormative or stereotyped about monogamy per se, even though I object when it's presented as the "right" choice for everyone.

There. My personal opinions. Not Scarleteen's.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. There's a pretty strong pop culture current that acknowledges that teens masturbate. And the joke is that they do it ... a lot. I mean, I was in high school when Green Day put out "Longview." That song's entirely about young folks slothing about and wanking (among other things). I agree with logic_grrl that we don't need a specific month to advertise masturbation. But we could do things everyday to increase the public discourse on the topic. For one thing, talking about it in a mature manner with peers helps. The less taboo it seems, the more people will be open to it.

2. My profession is public health, and frankly, I side with the Red Cross on their rules for donation. I'd rather have large number of higher-risk people elevated from the donor pool than have one or two people taint a supply that would affect thousands. Outbreaks like that cause far angrier public outcries than what we see for the LBGQT crowd. Is that necessarily, fair? No, but blood donation isn't a civil right, and there are serious risks involved. In a more perfect world where every group was contracting various diseases at equal rates, i'd love to see the donor pool expanded to include groups typically left out. Bear in mind my position is generally different from a lot of folks here as I'm not a political liberal. There's a great blood donation disucssion at http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum8/HTML/000770.html check it out.

3. To each their own. I don't believe gay people could ever do a better job of perverting the institution of marriage than heterosexuals are already doing. I am in favor of letting gay people get married as far as civics go. I won't push churches to embrace the trend, but then again, I'm a Buddhist, and it'd be odd for me to tell Christians how to run their church. I do personally favor marriages because I think it's easier to raise a child in a two-parent household than in a single parent household, and whatever's in the kid's favor is fine by me. On that note, I'm okay with gay couples adopting. There aren't enough people adopting, imho. Plenty of kids need stable and loving homes. And if people want to be polyamorous, well whatever floats their boat. As long as no tax fraud is being committed, it ain't my business.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahli
Neophyte
Member # 19598

Awesome responses guys. Please... any more people who want to voice their own personal opinions?
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Well, I think this question is a bit... off. Anyone can masutrbate privately, it's not anyone else's buisness. Therefore I think no one should be barred from participating in National Masutrbation Month. I actually wasn't aware that such a month existed, but I have no objection to it.

2. I think there's nothing wrong with barring people not in monogamous relationships, but if a person has been having sex exculsively with one person for a year or two and hasn't tested positive for any STDs, I think they shouldn't be barred from donating blood, regardless of their sexual orientation.

3. What with my username and all I don't really need to say that I support SSM. It's kind of a given. However, I'm not really all that into marriage in general. It's not a bad thing, but I just don't think it's for me. My opinions may change and I do like the idea of a big fancy, expensive ceremony, but I don't like the idea of being tied down to someone for the rest of my life.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maglight
Neophyte
Member # 24303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maglight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you even need to indulge in masturbation? Perhaps there are alternatives, like practicing chastity? Personally I think self-control is a much more valuable asset to one's psychological faculties then succuming to such desires. If you do indulge in such an act regularly, then you won't be able to function without it -- creating an additiction. Just a warning.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any scientific studies to back this claim, maglight? If so, i'd like to see them. If not, please stop spreading false information.

Granted, people can become addicted to almost anything, but masturbation in itself is not addictive.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to drop a note in here as a reminder that often, simple activism can work even more easily than you'd imagine.

The Walgreen's corporation had recently signed into policy that pharmacists could refuse prescriptions to customers on moral/religious grounds. Namely, birth control and emergency contraception.

Our local chapter of NOW here organized a rally at one of the most visible branches in the city, down the block from my apartment. Notices were sent to local NOW members to attend the rally.

I pretty much never say no to a rally. Never have. Why?

In any event, I rushed over there after teaching this morning, only to find out that not only had Walgreen's tossed the policy out in response to the rally, they did so without us even having to have it at all. They so much did NOT want visibility drawn to this policy from women's groups that just hearing about an organized rally caused them to alter the policy late last night.

Which meant a bunch of us got to instead sit down, toast with our water and enjoy things truly working as they should, which is immensely satisfying, especially given the current political climate when it comes to women's rights.

So.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage ST blog about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(And maglight, no, there is no physical or emotional need to masturbate.

But most people want to, find it beneficial in many regards, and there has NEVER been any medical data to show that masturbation is in any way harmful or addictive, nor creating a chemical dependency, which we can't say, for instance, about something even less needed or beneficial, but almost as widespread, as fast food chains cheeseburgers, candy bars or soda. And once more: misinformation being posted here is against the user guidelines you agreed to when registering.)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.