Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » age of consent

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: age of consent
ariesdiva
Activist
Member # 23103

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ariesdiva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the age of consent in NY is 17, but I'm not sure. Anyway, i over-heard a friend of mine (who happens to be my ex) talking about fingering his gf (he's 18, she's 16). I dont think thats legal. I want to tell him, but mostly because i'm jealous. And i dont want to seem like an obsessive ex. what do i do?
Posts: 74 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Wonderful Chart of Legal Ages of Consent for Around the World and for All 50 States, including the text of the laws which apply to that legal age. (One of the most informative sites ever.)

The legal age of consent is 17 in New York.

While it is your decision whether or not to tell him, and why or not you should tell him, what he is doing could get him charged with a Class B Misdemenor, because she is legally not of age to give consent for any type of sex, including manual.

And age of consent doesn't just apply to someone over age of consent and someone under, it usually applies to two people who are both under the age of consent, as an FYI.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should stay out of this one. It sounds like you shouldn't even have overheard that conversation, and furthermore, your motives are more self-interested than in the interests of helping him out. It is quite possible that he and his partner are aware of the law anyway. If your friend asked you for advice, then it would be appropriate to talk about the law, but as things are, I don't really think it is your place to intervene.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
different
Neophyte
Member # 23404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for different     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although it may be illegal, I'd say stay out of it. All around the world people are 'committing' sexual activities underage: A worldwide bust would see most students of high schools put in Juvenile Hall.
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.