Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Oral sex lessons to cut rates of teenage pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oral sex lessons to cut rates of teenage pregnancy
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems suggesting alternatives to sexual intercourse may reduce unwanted pregnancy among teens, as a small survey suggested. More reasonable than abstinence only educatiin but is it a bit odd potentially actively encouraging oral sex in school lessons?
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1212734,00.html/

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I understand it, the program doesn't "actively encourage" oral sex - it just suggests that kids who are becoming sexually active consider other activities first, rather than jumping straight into intercourse.

However, I hope that the course also includes safer sex info - there are already too many people who believe that oral sex "doesn't count" or doesn't have any risks.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I understand it, it's the media who has taken the angle that this is "teaching" youth to engage in oral sex. In actual practice, as logic stated, I understand it to be a suggestion.

But it's one that strikes me as naive or ill-informed, in that one would think teens aren't already engaging in oral sex before intercourse, because most are, and most are without safer sex practices, to boot.

It's always very interesting to me to see that teen pregnancy and teen STDs are prioritized the way they are, when by my way of thinking, no one is worse or better than the other. When not planned or intended, both are unwanted consequences, both cost money, both can potentially be traumatic or troublesome, but then, both can be managed.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunshineLK0517
Activist
Member # 17296

Icon 14 posted      Profile for SunshineLK0517     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that was a good article thanks for sharing!
Posts: 64 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coolestdesignz
Activist
Member # 18028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coolestdesignz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree with this and I am glad that finally something logical is out there.

Thanks for sharing.

------------------
--------------------------------------------
01 PRINT Knock knock.
02 PRINT Who's there?
03 PRINT Recurse.
04 PRINT Recurse who?
05 GOTO 01

Posts: 203 | From: Laguna Niguel, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the days when Salt n Pepa cassettes were still in stores, and Ninja Turtles were new, that concept was called 'outercourse'. The point of it then was to prevent spreading AIDS. It's still a good idea, but it sounds like the point here is being distorted. What's important isn't encouraging anyone to have oral sex, it's supporting teens in making less risky sexual choices they're comfortable with. That's a great idea for anyone.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

All you suicide kings and you drama queens . . .

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coolestdesignz
Activist
Member # 18028

Icon 3 posted      Profile for coolestdesignz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an observation (may or may not be off topic a bit in some parts):

If this stuff was around as far back as you said it was... then it would seem to me that sexual education has gone backwards over the years. Seeing as how this was posted on a school webstite.

Why have people restricted the flow of information that would allow people to make more informed decisions? It would seem that schools are far less concerned about the well-being and health of the students than they are with being "politically correct."

At least they've got the right idea (kinda) in the UK. It's too bad they're thousands of miles away!

Miz Scarlet is right (once again) in that teen STDs are just as much of a problem as teen prgnancy! The plan over in the UK is suggesting that a safer activity be substituted. EXAMPLE: Instead of going SCUBA diving in a cave, why don't you go snorkling?

Same idea, less risk. I like it (except that I actually SCUBA dive, but "oh well")!!!

------------------
01 PRINT Knock knock.
02 PRINT Who's there?
03 PRINT Recurse.
04 PRINT Recurse who?
05 GOTO 01

Posts: 203 | From: Laguna Niguel, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim007
Activist
Member # 17533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by coolestdesignz:
[B] It would seem that schools are far less concerned about the well-being and health of the students than they are with being "politically correct."[B]

I agree with you completely with this statement. However, it most likely isn't the fault of the schools. Society as a whole has become more "politically correct" over the years. What used to be acceptable, now may not be, and in some cases even illegal. Sex education, itself, is a very touchy subject with many people. The school may not want to go through the hassel of angering what could be a majority of the tax-payers who fund that school. In some places, it may even be illegal to teach some aspects of sex education, and unfortunately, in order to solve this problem, society as a whole may need to be readjusted.

Unfortuneatly, oftentimes when we become more politically correct, we in fact become wrong.

[This message has been edited by Jim007 (edited 06-08-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Jim007 (edited 06-08-2004).]

Posts: 63 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coolestdesignz
Activist
Member # 18028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coolestdesignz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim007:
[B]However, it most likely isn't the fault of the schools. Society as a whole has become more "politically correct" over the years. What used to be acceptable, now may not be, and in some cases even illegal./B]

Good observations there!

The real question up there is why has society become so politically correct? How do we turn this mess around before more people get hurt?

Schools can piss off taxpayers all they want. Nobody can say "I don't want my taxes going to the schools!"

I think that before anything happens, there needs to be a social reformation (as you said). I don't want to sound anarchistic here, but the government need not be involved in regulating sex ed. They've done enough damage already (like those nonfunctional celibacy programs).

Parents, go and write letters to your local school districts now!

------------------
01 PRINT Knock knock.
02 PRINT Who's there?
03 PRINT Recurse.
04 PRINT Recurse who?
05 GOTO 01

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a nice idea, but public education is paid for with a WHOLE lot of federal and state funding, beyond tax dollars. Without it, many public schools couldn't survive.

So, like it or not, when it comes to public education, the goverment, and the public, is going to be involved.

And since 1996 in the US, the gfederal governemt has refused to fund ANYTHING but abstinence-based sex ed. If that's news, you can read up about it via several articles on the site and many posts in this area.

Might also want to bear in mind how you're using the term "politically correct." The concept of political correctness generally isn't about moral or religious agendas and serving them, or even about behaviour, but about language and jargon, specifically to adjust or remove language which is offensive to certain groups, usually minorities (and even more often, majorities speaking for minorities).

So, I'm unclear on how that applies to sex education in this context.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Politics, and political causes, change with time. At the point I was referring to, AIDS was a BIG deal, something people were incredibly afraid of getting, and something a lot of celebrities made a cause of. People can only maintain that level of fear for so long, and tend to care what people in Hollywood have to say for even less time, so we stopped caring so much. The US also went through some big political changes during this time, though Bush wasn't in power in 1996 (you might want ro read a bit about Jocelyn Elders and masturbation to find out more about what was happening around this time).

Then again, like Morrissey said, America is not the world. Canada and the UK, to the best of my knowledge, still have full sex education programs. So do other countries.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

All you suicide kings and you drama queens . . .

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 06-09-2004).]

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. However, even though in theory the UK has a more precise sex ed policy, it doesn't seem to be getting through efficiently since it still has the highest teenage pregnancy in Europe, so far as I remember. I suppose it is not just the content of what is said but the style and energy with which it is conveyed.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.