Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » religion, does it matter or not? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: religion, does it matter or not?
crusher165
Neophyte
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crusher165     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when you think of the word religion, what do u think? do u think bout some boring church service?
or are you one of the new age types?
what's your opinion on it? cause i'm not sure where i'm going in life at this moment, and i'm trying to decide whether or not to make god part of my life.
what do you think?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 12-26-2002).]

Posts: 36 | From: i'll tell you when i get there! ;b | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a Christian but I don't call myself that now. I went to numerous churches but never managed to find one I was comfortable in. I soon realised my image of God contrasted greatly with the image of God portrayed by most Christians and that sucked.

Also, being a questioning and somewhat cynical teenager, it is hard for me to accept God's word like that. I was always told not to question. That God wouldn't like it and that hurt me.

But I believe in a God. I talk to him when I am upset, lonely whatever and I feel better.

But I believe very much in Buddhism's teachings. I find them very interesting and if I have a chance I would read up more but I am a real procrastinator. Or maybe I just don't want to. I don't know.

If by God, you mean the Christian God, I suggest you attend a few church meetings (any of your friends church goers?), buy a bible. They have those for teenagers which are really quite interesting and just see how you feel after all that.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to take a look at a previous topic addressing this: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum7/HTML/000278.html

(And, as an aside and a suggestion, the world's religions are generally not divided into Judeo-Christian and "New Age" because there are NUMEROUS traditions just as old as or older than Judeo-Christianity)

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would certainly recomend that everybody should search for some sort religion or spirituality, whatever form it takes. In fact even a community of some sort. Hope I'm not sounding too preachy here.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crusher165
Neophyte
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crusher165     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks lin, actually I go to church on a regular basis... miz scarlet, i know that religion isn't devided into those 2 parts, they just feel like the 2 ends of the extreme to me
so u guys do think god's important? i'm glad cause that helps a little. lol
thanks

Posts: 36 | From: i'll tell you when i get there! ;b | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe in any type of higher power. I'm not sure I believe in fate or destiny either. It's actually pretty scary-not knowing what has happened, what is happening, or what is going to happen. But I like to feel that I'm open to anything at all-and I can explore it from all views-religious or otherwise. If you let me, I could actually go on about this forever. And I'd rather not, considering that I'd scare myself silly !

------------------
Mens' magazines feature pictures of naked women. Womens' magazines feature picture of naked women. This is beacuse the female body is beautiful and delicate, while the male body is lumpy and hairy and should not be seen by the light of day.

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crusher165
Neophyte
Member # 2299

pink... not only would u scare yourself... your scaring me
lol
no actually i see your point.
my prob is more that i'm not sure if i want god to exist.. how do u spell?
i know he does, theres so much proof...lol
but i still don't want to just be old my religion, i want to know it for myself!!!!!!!!

crusher165
Neophyte
Member # 2299

by the way just thought i'd mention that if i knew what i was, i'd be seventh day adventist except for the fact that whaen i go to church, which i do regularly, i enjoy seeing hat kinda rise i can get outta people i'm naughty but i know that at my church.. while they do judge other people, they love me, even if i exsasperate them to no end w/ my clothes,and make-up, and nail polish so don't think i'm turned off from my background, i'm not, just not sure bout the future.
phsygnosis
Activist
Member # 2226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phsygnosis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a muslim and I believe in it deeply, although I am not the most religious person and I will admit that, I still think that is the true way. Lin is right, She lives in Singapore, and I use to live in Malaysia which is right above it and Buddhism (Sorry if I misspelled) is a very beutiful religion. They have so many beliefs where you just can't doubt them on and kind of sounds really true. Lin, if you ever read this thread again, Do you speak Malay? Just wondering. Anyways, The best thing is to have a religion because it helps alot of us in life believe in our selfs.

-Phsygnosis

Posts: 88 | From: Canton, Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am wiccan and I love having something I believe in. I definitely believe that everyone should believe in something. It gives you something to turn to when you're feeling alone or lost, it helps you remain strong on your own, in my opinion. So I think some sort of belief in something or having a religion is very important.

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"You flicker. And you're beautiful. You glow inside my head. You hold me hypnotized, I'm mesmerized..."
My Webpage-Alisons Life

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uss69
Neophyte
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uss69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a atheist.
I dont really care what other people are as long as they dont go preaching to me or try to burn me at the stake(Yes atheists were burned at the stake as well)

I'd just like to know how the Church sees me as immoral not being a easy to brainwash, yet church goers I know get laid every weekend, more stoned then some Rostifarian Hippie(My spelling blows sorry) yet that's is all right. They break the rules their system sets up yet i follow them(which just happend that way) but since I'm not one of them I'm immmoral.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just can't believe in a supreme being who would send an innocent baby to hell just because it has not been baptised, and "cleansed of the original sin."

I'll stick to my own melting pot of beliefs. I classify myself as pagan. And I have always beleived in spirits, entities, ghosts, reincarnation, and the astroplane.

It's all good.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lina79
Neophyte
Member # 2276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lina79     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Religion to me is church. I like going to church. I go to bible study where we're donig true love waits. I love God!!! He's the coolest. He's my best friend. I think that religion is different than faith. Religion is the technical part and faith is the worship (which I happen to like more). If you don't know God, GET SAVED!!

------------------
*Lina79*

Posts: 12 | From: St. John's, NF, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lina dearie, I don't think most people here believe that not knowing the Christian God means you are doomed to go to hell.

That was why I refused to go to Church. It was all about if I don't believe, I wun be saved and I will go to hell. So what? Isn't Christianity about love? Coz the way I hear people putting it, it sounds like I am being threatened if I do't becom a Christian. This is not about you Lina, it's just how I have been feeling for some time.

I believe in God. Maybe coz I am scared. I like to believe someone is looking out for me. I like knowing that God loves me, regardless of what I have done. So many times I feel so alone in this world and so unliked, so unloved. With God, I feel like I am put here for a reason. They may not be the right reasons to believe in God but they are what I hold on to for now.

StarryReadhead, I know very little about Wiccan but I once spoke to this guy who is also a wiccan (it's a general term right?) and it sounds great. Really peace loving and just wonderful. But it is also one of the most misunderstood religions around. There is this guy in my school who thinks he is a wiccan and walks aorund in a black cape while selling love potions. sigh.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uss69
Neophyte
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uss69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkChild717:
I just can't believe in a supreme being who would send an innocent baby to hell just because it has not been baptised, and "cleansed of the original sin."

I'll stick to my own melting pot of beliefs. I classify myself as pagan. And I have always beleived in spirits, entities, ghosts, reincarnation, and the astroplane.

It's all good.

Yeah but they have problem with aborition even thought they say everyone is born a siner.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I'm concerned, no one is wrong when it comes to religion. At least faith gives people something to hold on to (even if Nietzsche said this was mankind's greastest fault). I am a Theravada Buddhist. A happy one

------------------
Inspected by Number 26

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crusher165
Neophyte
Member # 2299

god doesn't condemn a newborn baby to hell... my religion teaches that a parent is responsible for their child till they come of age... i couln't believe in a god like that either.. i'd as soon kill myself..!!!
as for being immoral, no one but god and u can decide that...NO ONE. it's a personal, and very private decision... i really do believe that w/ the way things are now, imorality... and everyother sin is between u and god... not u and your pastor or priest...

------------------
~i never knew u
but your action effected
my life
but who knew what u'd do?
seeing as...
i never knew you

live4travel
Activist
Member # 1772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for live4travel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, first off, you can choose not to listen to me if you don't want to. This is all stuff that is observed and taught to me. and what I believe for myself.

God (supposedly, is supposed to!) love everybody, no matter what. He let his son die on the cross, so we could be forgiven for our sins. Ummmm The one person that was talking about, if you don't have this religion, your going to hell, well that's called Catholicism. I totally do not like it myself, because I think it's bull runky. But believe whatever you want, I don't like being pushed into religion, so I don't push myself. Right now, I'm mad at god, but for some reason, after reading all these posts, and finding people saying, Go to church and be religious! and How they think that Christians believe that you will go to hell if you don't go to church or believe exactly the way we do, is just wrong. I do believe God can be great, but so far, I'm pretty far from him. I'm in great conflict with some of the views of the bible, like they're views on sexuality and lesbians/gays. I've become acceptive of many things, after visiting this site, a lot of my views have changed. Well I'm just going to leave it at that. I'm also very tolerant of all the other religions too. Peace to all people, if there ever COULD be such a thing.

Josh

Posts: 116 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crusher165
Neophyte
Member # 2299

josh, i know how u feel... i feel the same way right now, except for the part about sexuality... as i'm straight
lol
straight, but totally screwed up

------------------
~i never knew u
but your action effected
my life
seeing as...
i never knew you

live4travel
Activist
Member # 1772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for live4travel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know, I'm not gay by any means. I just don't see the problem in same sex relationships for OTHER people, as long as they don't try to start a *sexual* relationship with me. Friends, yes, sexual, no. Thought I'd clear that up right now. lol But actually I didn't accept GBLT relationships, until I actually knew people that are in them, and saw that they are no different than me, have the same feelings, and have a heart just like you and me. I also was greatly influenced by Aja, a teen that used to post a lot when I first joined the boards, but has since then stopped. *to my knowledge* Well, religion can be a confusing thing, that's all I know
Posts: 116 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who do follow the Bible, I can't reccomend enough that you actually READ it.

When you do, you'll find that the condemnation of homosexuality that does occur is not only very vague at best, it also only occurs in pl;aces like In Romans, in which other races, creeds and women are also given a very different treatment than we would give today.

And overall, most Bible scholars agree (as would I, having studied the Bible academically in college): the consideration of homosexuality as sin is only do because it implies sex out of wedlock, and is given no more weight than ANY sex out of wedlock, for the purposes other than procreation. So, kids, if you ascribe to these beliefs and are sexually active, you're really in the same boat, regardless of your oreintation.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad got mad at me for bringing this up-Is God not an all-forgiving being? So, whether you believe in him or not, would you be forgiven? What do you all (pertaining to Christians) think of this? I've never laid hands on any holy book, so I may have a few things mixed up.

------------------
Mens' magazines feature pictures of naked women. Womens' magazines feature picture of naked women. This is beacuse the female body is beautiful and delicate, while the male body is lumpy and hairy and should not be seen by the light of day.

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crusher165
Neophyte
Member # 2299

hey pink...
from what i've researched about god being an all forgiving being... he is. but the only catch is u have to want to be forgiven... in otherwords.. ask
that's my 2 cents on that...
josh.. i didn't say u were gay... and concerning gay/bi relationships... i'm okay w/ gay... since i know people that are really cool but i havent met any one that's bi yet.. so i havent figured that out yet

------------------
~i never knew u
but your action effected
my life
seeing as...
i never knew you

Heather
Member # 3

Can I make a request?

If discussions like this are going to be had here, for the respect of varyoing and diverse belief systems, can we please qualify them?

For instance, crusher just said:

quote:
about god being an all forgiving being... he is. but the only catch is u have to want to be forgiven...

And I'd like to ask that staments like that be qualified by tradition, for instance: "From my practice/understanding of Christianity (or Judaisim, or Mormonism, or Islam or whatever)...la la la."

Because we are a varied group, and around the globe and throughout history what or who (or what gender, etc.) god or godhood (or the lack thereof) is varies a whole heck of a lot, and I'd like that to be respected.

Not a criticism, simply a request.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

live4travel
Activist
Member # 1772

You BETCHA Ms. S! lol I think it's so awesome that such diversity comes to this site and actually gets along. I love seeing people with OPEN minds about different Idea's and beliefs! It makes me feel all good inside! ANYWAYS.....yeah it's cool wit me For ONCE people of different religions aren't FIGHTING, I hate how Israel, and who is it is fighting right now! At this very moment, it's SOO sad. But anyways, atleast one place, people of all different backgrounds can join together and talk peacefully and honestly with eachother! It's so great. Well that's all I gotta say, I gotta go babysit now, Laters!

POPCORN AND PENGUINS!

StarlitNight007
Activist
Member # 1902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarlitNight007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a Roman Catholic, and have been since I was baptized at a month old. I didn't get to choose my religion, but I think that even if I were to do so, I would pick Catholicism again. It's mostly based on traditions and it's a bit showy, but I feel safer having something or someone to believe in, and to talk to at night when I don't understand things. I think religion is more of a comfort than anything else.
Posts: 59 | From: Mountaintop | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crusher165
Neophyte
Member # 2299

mrs. s
i'm sorry... i didn't mean to offend... but what the heck i'll get over it...
just so everyone knows...
from MY point of view*giggles* god is an all forgiving being
and anyone who want's to differ w/ me on that is welcome to
i like these boards.. thanks for having them i'll try to be a little more parctial next time

------------------
~i never knew u
but your action effected
my life
seeing as...
i never knew you

BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've got one that hasn't been brought up at all yet - my parents are Jehovah's Witnesses. AAAAAAgh. I hate it I hate it I hate it. Half my week is spent at blummin meetings telling us that everyone with any pinion at all is bad bad bad and then being expected to knock on people's doors and try and brainwash them as well which I really hate cos I don't believe it myself and I'm sposed to tell them. mY parents are really really strict and want me to carry on but I tell you the second I'm old enough I'm outta there. It's put me right off any sort of god or spirituality. I believe that purpose in life comes from helping other people not telling them what you believe and why they should believe it. I really can't find much proof int bible or otherwise for a god who cares, and I definitly can't believe that JWs are the only one with the truth. Grrrrr.
Sorry, I really needed a rant about that cos it's the worst thing in my life.

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Oh, Jade. I am so sorry. That has to be incredibly rough.
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom fights the Jehovah's Witnesses. No, seriously. She invites them in, and argues with them. My mom's a bit loopy.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
on*fire*4*God!*
Neophyte
Member # 2407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for on*fire*4*God!*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
rock on, Lina!
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crusher165
Neophyte
Member # 2299

you guys... this is not bash our religions... it's just a discussion

------------------
~i never knew u
but your action effected
my life
seeing as...
i never knew you

'u wanna get 2 me... u gotta get to you'

Super BubbleGum Gurl
Activist
Member # 2456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super BubbleGum Gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm a strong Christian but I'm not the kinda person who goes around and tells everyone that they're gonna go to hell. That's just insensitive. Some of those other Christians may gang up on me here but here's what I think. There is only 1 God and it's not Jesus or Buddha or Muhammed or Alla. Jesus IS of the most high authority and he is the Lord, BUT that doesn't make him God (and I have researched the Bible and not one bit says he is God, just "the Lord").
Buddha is considered to be a friend of Buddists, not their god. They believe in something higher. And Believe me, I was Buddist for 8 years. And from my friends experiences, it's the same with the rest.
Sorry for being so intellectual about all this. I just had to say something.

Posts: 54 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crusher, we're just seeing humour in irony, nothing bad. Worry not.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mack
Activist
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell for me is to walk the earth as a shadow for interinty or untill the planet or universe implodes or something. the "Heaven" equilvent could be a Earth like paradice which I call Avalon or you could travel the different Dimentional plains and see what is out there on more of the 3d realm. It's kind of hard to explain, and i'm still trying to figure out my self all the quarks. in my Faith there is no God or supreme beings(I'm Atheist). I could even give a scientific explination to my version of the "after-life"(not proven science but stil; science)

MAN DOES MY SPELLING SUCK.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.