Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » The Christian Taliban

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Christian Taliban
Reverend Zeed
Neophyte
Member # 15137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reverend Zeed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Milke seems to hate me, I'll edit my post like so.

I got this interesting article in an e-mail from a newsgroup. If your interested read it...if you think it will offend you or you don't really care don't read it (though I bet I didn't have to tell you that):
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=18259

Its an omen of dark days when the church and state get melded together.

Another term for Bush or any president supported so heavly by the church will only lead to bad days, mark my words. If these people's ideas on what is moraly right and wrong as per sex get instituted, we will see higher amounts of HIV/AIDs outbreaks aswell as other STDs. Thousands more unwanted pregnancys and hardship beyond imagination. Think afganistan in the USA. What do you think?

I don't wish to offend anyone by this article or any remark I make. This is my opinion, just like your opinion might be the opposite. Also, I don't hate christians or any other religious peoples, though I feel very strongly when a small group of people (who happen to be religously minded) decide to tell everyone else what is right and whats wrong. That is called an oligarchy.

(BTW, Milke, if I give credit to the original author and link to his/her website it is not plagiarism. I did not once claim I wrote the article. Nor did I publicize or publish anything. I was posting this article on here to get other users opinions on it. I was then hoping to make replys to those opinions and get into a civilized conversation with them. How else can you have conversations about news items or articles of interest if you do not post, or atleast link to them?)

[This message has been edited by Reverend Zeed (edited 03-30-2004).]

Posts: 12 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Posting someone else's entire article without their consent is plagiarism, and both against our Guidelines, and a potential civil liability. Using our boards to publicize or publish material without our permission is equally unacceptable. In much the same way we wouldn't allow you to post ads for penis-enlarging pills here, you also can't just post articles, especially when they're encouraging religious intolerance. If you want to edit your post so it actually contains commentary, politely expressed opinions, or your own thought-out ideas you can revive this topic, until then, it's essentially spam, so your link will be removed. If you can make this into a post with a point, you can replace it.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

Everything's been sold to others' revolutions

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Zeed, the reason it is out policy here not to allow full posting of articles outside of fair use is because reposting, per copyright law, IS publishing. Giving credit is not the same as obtaining permission to repost copyrighted material in full, which is what one needs to do to do so lawfully.)
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The article is somewhat hyperbolic and doesn't do a service to all those who suffered (and are still suffering) as a result of Taliban rule in Afghanistan. I am as alternately amused and then worried by the hypocracy and illogicality of the US Christian right as any other sane individual, but its only in specific areas where they stick their nose into private affairs. The Taliban, by contrast, attempted to rule every aspect of everybody's lives (especially women). It is really only with drug use and sexual conduct that the Christian right in America is really impinging on rights. They tend not to be too bothered about gun ownership for example despite that being clearly against a Christian ideal.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me^19
Neophyte
Member # 17740

Icon 11 posted      Profile for me^19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a woman this makes me very scared and worried. I deserve knowedgle and information about what can be done to my body and the possible side effects. If you are a pro-lifer (I am not) then at least support after school programs for children who won't have a lot of money because their teen mom is working 18 hours a day at three jobs. Support better education about sex. Make the adoption system better. There really is a Christain Taliban running this country. Makes me very sad indeed.

------------------
Work like you don't need the money, dance like no one is watching and love like you have never been hurt!

Posts: 12 | From: NorCal | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NorCal Me19, the point of the argument is that to compare the Xtian right to the Taliban is hyperbolic. Say what you will about theocrat nutbags, Jerry Falwell hasn't inflicted nearly the same level of damage as the Islamofascists in the Middle East.

Personally, it's my thought that being on the extreme of any belief system is dangerous -- religious zealots threaten diversity, but ATHEIST zealots threaten the right to individual expression in the form of worship. I'm not Xtian, Jewish, Muslim or any of those, but I don't feel threatened by a menorah or creche in a park. Live and let live.

------------------
Q ... E ... D ... bee-yatch!
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.