Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Prostitution--> why?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Prostitution--> why?
durandis
Neophyte
Member # 17454

Icon 6 posted      Profile for durandis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why isn't prostitution legal? Ok, I'm not trying to set off some firestorm, but sometimes the contolling puritan nature of this country's laws really frustrate me.

What is the female opinion of prostition? I'm not talking about simp-the-pimp beating up on girls to go out and hussle some money. I'm talking about the clean legal operation where women make a conscious and voluntary decion to have sex with men in exchange for money. Should this be illegal? Are the old foggies in government still clinging on to the archaic notion that they can tell women what to do with their bodies?

Not to confuse anyone? I'm a guy that has used the services in the past and I just want to know what the other side thinks about this. Any response is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 2 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bubblex
Activist
Member # 17452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bubblex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too think that women should be able to make the decision to have sex for money. I think the government should provide safe sex information and protection to prostitutes instead of sending them to jail for the night or ticketing them.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're old enough to have been visiting prostitures, you're probably a lot older than this site is aimed at. When a Scarleteen user is a legal adult, we expect them to primarily help provide assistance to younger users, rather than use the boards as their main resource. If you are looking for a site on sexuality aimed at adults, there are many of them out there, so feel free to run a Google search.

As a side note, by no means are all prostitutes female, nor are anti-prostitution laws by definition anti-female. Nor are the opinions of women more or less valid than those of men. That said, I don't think said laws exist to oppress or harm anyone, but rather, to protect people from undesirable things (exploitation, abuse, disease transmission, emotional damage). I don't know if the laws are necessarily effective, or helpful, but I do suspect the intent behind them is good.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

Everything's been sold to others' revolutions

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laws regarding sex work vary depending on the country or area. In Canada the work itself is not criminal, but activities surrounding the work is (such as communicating for the purpose of selling or purchasing the services, living off the avails of a sex worker -used to include a sex worker's children but no longer does).

It is my opinion based on my research and volunteer work with sex workers that the criminalization of sex work (like in most of the U.S.A.) and activities of sex work were not put in place to protect sex workers from any of the difficulites related to the work. Most of the challenges faced by sex workers and their families are a consequence of the criminalization of the work and its related activities.

Early anti-sex work laws tend to come from a puritanical frame of mind where sexuality is to be strictly limited to male-female intercourse within the confines of marriage and reproduction. In 1949 many countries moved towards the decriminalization of prostitution, but continued to criminalize the activities that are required to engage in the work. The U.S.A. did not follow this United Nations intiative (first proposed by Eleanor Roosevelt) and prostitution among consenting adults is still illegal (with a few exceptions).

------------------

Love Scarleteen? Say thank you by donating and keep us around!

[This message has been edited by bettie (edited 03-30-2004).]

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and here is a link to a website that people might find useful in their research in sex work.

http://www.nswp.org/

------------------

Love Scarleteen? Say thank you by donating and keep us around!

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reverend Zeed
Neophyte
Member # 15137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reverend Zeed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prostitution is legal in Amsterdam and a couple south american countrys. I hear that its well managed and controled by the governments...the girls are kept clean and have to be tested for STDs on a reguler basis. They also ID people, which keeps youngsters away. MY boss comes from a south american country that has it legal and my friend visited a country that has it legal (he didn't "buy" anything, but a couple of his shipmates did).

Alas prostitution is like drugs. It should be legal, and all the evidence points to that fact, yet none of the politicians have the guts to go ahead and make it so.

[This message has been edited by Reverend Zeed (edited 03-30-2004).]

Posts: 12 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Let's please not refer to sex workers as "the girls." In short, it's demeaning and diminuative, and in the context of a post apparently discussing why sex work should or should not be legal or condoned, respect for the women working in that trade should be paramount. Thanks.)
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it doesn't directly contribute to the discussion, but I recently learned that prostitution was widely legal in the middle ages, up to the 12th, 13th century or so. The women paid taxes on what they took in. Many of the women in charge of brothels provide daycare for the women who were mothers (although for those who wished to avoid motherhood there was surprisingly effective methods of birth control and abortion). It was an accepted (if not condoned by all) way for urban women to survive.

The church (Catholic, pope and all) were tolerant of it. They felt it was better to have prostitution as something that was allowed than to have rape, the possibility of homosexuality, and the corruption of "good, pure" women. Of course, prostitution didn't eliminate these things, but that was the idea.

Eventually however, women who were prostitutes were limited in space. Restricted to certain areas, not to be seen outside during the week before Easter, and made to wear clothes that made their profession identifiable. They began to be stigmatized, and eventually made illegal altogether.

Just a little early historical background. I find this sort of thing really interesting.

------------------
I see you shiver with antici......pation

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeangenie
Activist
Member # 16168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeangenie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I highly recomend Carol Queen's book "Live Nude Girl" she is my idol and she has a few wonderful essays about her experience in sex work. If sex work were legal alot of the corruption in the field would be eliminated. Sex work is sort of a cause of mine so i'll step of the soap box for a bit.
Posts: 53 | From: Austin, TX, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.