Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Funny...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Funny...
Darkness
Activist
Member # 14353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darkness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you all think about this?
http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~cbosley/pictures/P6270047.JPG

[This message has been edited by Darkness (edited 12-20-2003).]

Posts: 48 | From: CaLiFoRnIa !!! | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that can't be local, because it's all palm trees out here. But seriously, what am I supposed to think of it? Why don't you tell us how you feel about it, since just posting a link isn't the best way to start a discussion.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

. . .Fearing not that I'd become my enemy
In the instant that I preach

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sublime_15
Activist
Member # 12538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sublime_15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont really like those billboards it makes it sound like if you are having sex you dont have a future. True things like STDs and getting pregnant can affect your future but its not going to automatically take the future away from you. It not like you have sex and bam you have no future. Also on the "I'm worth it" part, okay I have sex am I worthless now or something? Do i not value myself if i feel the need to share myself with someone i love? It just makes it sound like sex is the absolute worst thing you can do and people who do it dont respect themselves.
Sorry but I get alot out of a few words, I'm probably reading into it way to much but yeah thats what i feel about it.

[This message has been edited by sublime_15 (edited 12-20-2003).]

Posts: 280 | From: nowhere | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those seriously, seriously irk me. I know plenty of engineers who had sex as teenagers (one of whom had his first child at 20 while still in college, and became a very successful engineer anyway), and plenty of perfectly responsible teens who choose to have sex. Me, for example.

Just about anything that advocates abstinence and only abstinence tends to irk me. But especially those that suggest that any premarital sex will irreversibly prevent a desired future.

(random aside--would this fit better in sexual ethics & politics?)

------------------
put your hands on the wheel, let the golden age begin
let the window down, feel the moonlight on your skin
let the desert wind cool your aching head
let the weight of the world drift away instead

these days, i barely get by. i don't even try.

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darkness
Activist
Member # 14353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darkness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this link on a site, doesnt look like something here in California... Milke.. im just looking for opinions, and personally think, thats a bunch of *bleep* garbage. Why didnt they put something like "talk to your children about sex" or "sex is normal, just be responsible with your life" I dunno, I think that just the wrong way to approach the issue.
Posts: 48 | From: CaLiFoRnIa !!! | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd sort of like to see an 'Abstinence until you're educated about sexual safety and have enough self respect to find a really excellent partner' or even 'Abstinence until you buy those darn condoms already' campaign, but I guess that'd be too many letters to fit onto a billboard. I'm quite certain this sort of thing is well intended, because truly, a lot of people are concerned about children growing up right, and getting the care and education they need, but sometimes the approach taken is a bit off. In a lot of cases, we've come to associate marriage with mental and emotional maturity, general personal and social responsibility, and all that good stuff, and while you should have already developed those things before you marry, not everyone has, and not everyone needs to be married to have those qualities.

Then again, that sign doesn't say ' . . .Until I'm married' or ' . . .Until I'm of a specific age' or ' . . .Until I'm heterosexual and directly involved with the religious right' so I really think we might be reading a bit too much into it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 12-21-2003).]

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(random aside--would this fit better in sexual ethics & politics?)

Yup, I think so, so I'll just move it over there.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilmsirishrage
Activist
Member # 14566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilmsirishrage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it amusing because my friends at UT engineering always say: "I'm going to be an engineer--sex can wait" as in...we spend so much time on labs and studying that we don't have time to even look at potential sex partners =)
At least that's the first thing I thought of!

Posts: 51 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was actually the first thing I thought of too. "I'm in university. Sex can wait... because I have six papers due in the next two weeks."

Of all the abstinence encouragement adverts I've seen, this is one of the less-offensive ones. Most of the bilboards around here have pictures of wedding bands that say "Slip on one of these for the best sex of your life", which irks me for many reasons, the least of which being that marriage does not guarantee awesome, wonderful (or even STD-free) sex.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daylightsgift
Neophyte
Member # 15518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daylightsgift     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't think it's as bad as other billboards i've seen. It does get at least a half-message across to people who would rather run away and get with 10 other people before you can finish the whole message.

i just wish it was alright to explain to people that "sex isn't bad"... without the fear of them using it as their life motto and becoming a sex fiend.

Posts: 11 | From: Georgia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, there's nothing wrong with being a "sex fiend" - as long as you're a responsible, safe and ethical sex fiend .

For the record, though, the research evidence says that teaching people that "sex isn't bad" doesn't make them any more likely to have sex or to become sexually active earlier or to have more partners than anyone else.

There are actually a few studies which suggest that comprehensive sex education programs may delay the age at which some people become sexually active, by making them more assertive and better able to resist pressure to have sex before they're ready, and more likely to hold out for sex which is happy and enjoyable.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nifty
Activist
Member # 11254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nifty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
engineers have to be chaste.....??!!

its a little random... and doesnt give away much information apart from the no doubt misled above thought. ^^

Posts: 52 | From: england | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nifty
Activist
Member # 11254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nifty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry for posting twice but isnt that a sign for newport pleasure right under it? thinking it was a cigarette company and trying to be clever i googled it - turns out its just gum. but newport pleasure is also a catalouge sex toy shop...

taste the irony.... minty.
well i didnt think the billboard was funny but i thought THAT was ^.^

Posts: 52 | From: england | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

It really is just a cigarette ad, dude.
Though I guess it sort of makes sense. If you avoid sex, you'll have more time to do other things, like starting an addiction.

------------------

morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol milke

Seriously, people need to face the facts that it's too late to press abstinence on a crowd that isn't listening. It SHOULD say, "It's my future -- I'm going to educated myself on how to protect myself and those I love." It's like the car analogy -- driving a car is very dangerous, but they don't go around telling teenagers to stop learning how to drive since you might get killed. Instead they educate us on how to be safe and aware drivers.

Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.