Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Second Grader Barred from Talking about his Gay Mommy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Second Grader Barred from Talking about his Gay Mommy
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from NYTimes (register for free! you'll be glad you did!)

A little boy has been barred from talking about his gay mother in Louisiana.

quote:
The boy, Marcus McLaurin, was referred to the school's behavior clinic, where he was ordered to write the sentence "I will never say the word `gay' in school again" over and over, the [ACLU] said.

quote:
The incident occurred when the class was lined up for recess and a classmate asked Marcus about his mother and father. Marcus responded that he had two mothers, not a mother and father. When the other child asked why, Marcus told him that it was because his mother was gay. The other child then asked what that meant, and Marcus explained, "Gay is when a girl likes another girl."

Well, this strikes as incredibly wacked. What the teacher should have done was explained to the boy that there are some people who don't understand people like Marcus' mommy, and left it at that. "Gay" in of itself is not a bad word, and certainly not when used in this particular context. There are definitely worse things to call a homosexual person.

anyway, your thoughts and comments?

------------------
It ain't the holidays till I see a Salad Shooter commercial.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read the article from CNN earlier, and it struck me as awfully weird. I wonder if the teacher heard the whole remark, or if it was taken out of context. It's perfectly acceptable, in my opinion, for a child to be punished in that manner if he used the term innapropriately. Maybe "gay" is on the school's list of unnacceptable terms, but can a seven year old child be expected to use the term homosexual, or even lesbian all the time. Probably not.

But it doesn't seem that those are the case.

"I was concerned when the assistant principal called and told me my son had said a word so bad that he didn't want to repeat it over the phone," Huff said. "But that was nothing compared to the shock I felt when my little boy came home and told me that his teacher had told him his family is a dirty word." -from CNN.com

The continual clash of values is unfortunate, especially when a child is stuck in the middle, but I doubt we'll see anything fixed in the near future, although I hope the school at least apologizes to the boy and his family.

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.