Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Religion and Sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Religion and Sex
platzapS
Neophyte
Member # 13130

Icon 5 posted      Profile for platzapS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What religion, if any, do you adhere to? Has this affected your sexual opinions at all?
Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aroseisarose
Neophyte
Member # 14963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aroseisarose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was brought up Roman Catholic, but I don't believe in this religion, because I have a problem with many of its tenets. Why would I consider myself part of a religious tradition I disagree with?

The Roman Catholic church has lots to say on sexual matters and related issues. For example:

Sex is for marriage.
Abortion is immoral.
Homosexual sex is a sin.
The only acceptable reason for sex within marriage is for reproduction (this is why birth control is considered a sin).
Gay marriage, by consequence, is unacceptable.

There are probably many others, but these are the most common ones. Personally, I disagree with the lot, and any sexual decisions I make will not be based upon this religion's view of sex.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RumpusParable
Activist
Member # 2295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RumpusParable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
am an universalist christian minister.. i dug into religions to find out what i believed, if anything. a nutshell expression is that i am a christian, i believe in christ & see god through a christian framework -but i don't believe that god has to limit him/her/itself to that framework. more would get too long & in-depth & boring.

what's come of my sexuality in relation to my religion?

it's hard to describe... since i chose a religious view rather than being raised in one always, who i am & my religion are rather intertwined.... each shaped the other, rather than a family religion shaping me as i grew.

i'm very comfortable with it. with me.

i think that's the biggest thing... even when the rest of the world gets weird, i can look at this framework. a framework that is heavy on responsibility for one's actions & being honest with oneself.

it's part of what makes me so comfortable in my non-gender/s, sexuality, and within my own skin. it's part of what made me realize how good a thing sex is, rather than the "dirty" nonsense. it is part of why i face that my decisions *are* my decisions, and to make them & not regret them.

over-all, it's caused me to embrace my sexuality. to love it as part of me & to enjoy it.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Touchstone
Neophyte
Member # 3659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Touchstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I was (am being) raised unitarian universalist, so i pretty much have to figure out what i believe about sexuality and god on my own and with friends ;p

Rumpus, if you're in the US or canada, enlighten me. Is there a large number of unitarian / universalist churches that aren't unitarian universalist?

[This message has been edited by Touchstone (edited 10-12-2003).]

Posts: 36 | From: USA, NY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RumpusParable
Activist
Member # 2295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RumpusParable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
am from the US, though am not living there.

they are, as far as i can read, the same thing... as much as anything ever can be when so many individuals are involved haha.

i've never understood why UUs are called UUs though... the name seems redundant.

but that's just random thoughts. we're talking about the same thing it looks.

[This message has been edited by RumpusParable (edited 10-14-2003).]

Posts: 160 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UUism = Unitarian Universalism, and represents a merger between the two church at some point in the last century. I don't think it considers itself to be based in Christianity, really, just in a historical way that it's descended from Christianity. It's more like a free-for-all, really.

I don't think there are any just Unitarian churches anywhere (as opposed to UU) but I know there are some Universalist ones, which are rather more Christian than the UU church I grew up in, but still seriously liberal. (From my understanding, anyway. I'm not a minister in one, though )

Also, each UU church can differ pretty radically from others, I've found out. The one I was raised in was tiny, but pretty radical and had lots of rather vocal people. Which was good. Others I've been to have been more moderate. So, it depends.

Anyway... the topic at hand.

------------------
got a haircut, got a silver tooth
tryin' to get myself arrested

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweetpeas0214
Activist
Member # 15069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweetpeas0214     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am of the Christian faith. This has affected my sexual decisions. I myself am waiting till I get married before I engaged in intercourse. However, I know that other people don't follow that same opinion and I totally understand and respect that. But my faith is not the only reason i choose to abstain, I didn't want the added risk or worry of STD/STI, teen pregnany, and the emotion baggae that could go along with it. I do not believe that sex is solely for reproduction perpose I believe that it is to be enjoy with a person and their partner that they want to express their love with in that way.
Posts: 57 | From: Knoxville, Tn, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm dating a "strict" Catholic- anti-abortion, no sex before marriage, the whole kit and caboodle. Funnily, I'm about as far left as they come (Chomsky's got nothing on me!) and pretty liberal when it comes to sex and all its' subsiduaries.

I'm finding myself getting more and more conservative as I date him though- and I'm nto sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

Even though he lives a 30 hour plane ride away, phoen sex is a no-no. And while my ex and I were very experimental, and open, and no-holds-barred when it comes to the bedroom, this bf and I are VERY conservative. It's almost as though I don't want to offend his sensibilities.

We did have sex though- once. He was (of course) a virgin...and it looks as though the next time will be in may..

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefreak44
Activist
Member # 12381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluefreak44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a Christian. As far as labeling myself, that's as far as I like to take it. I am a disciple of Christ. As far as church affiliation, I attend and almost totally agree with an Assembly of God church. For those who don't know, AG is a sect of the Pentecostal denomination.

My faith affects my views on sex VERY much. Some take this to mean that I don't think for myself. However, when I was younger I took about 2 years away from God and the church, to discern if I really believed or simply did because that was the way I was raised, and I finally came to the conclusion that I really do believe. One of the "conservative" views on sex that I disagree with, and I disagree with few, is that birth control is a sin. I believe that if a couple is married, and wants to be sexual active, monogamously, then there is absolutely no problem with using some method of birth control. Back to my faith, my dedication to God has led me to not pursue (at least to the extent that my friends did) guys, until I was 18 and a guy I had liked for a very long time (unbeknownst to him) asked me out. He was a fellow Christian. Another aspect that my faith affects is my dating life. I promised myself that I wouldn't date a non-Christian, simply for the fact that my faith is so important to me that I couldn't stand to be with someone who didn't relate. And in the words of Amos 3:3 (I believe), "How can 2 people walk together without agreeing on a direction?" I said yes to this man, and we've been together almost a year, still remaining pure (he was a virgin when we began dating as well, shortly before his 17th birthday). On the issue of birth control, we've decided that when we first get married, after I graduate junior college, I will be on a form of birth control. We've both prayed over this and believe it to actual be the most responsible decision, because 2 people in college and with jobs could hardly support a third.

Anyway, I know I sound extremely conservative now, but oh well. You asked.

Posts: 81 | From: MO, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Touchstone
Neophyte
Member # 3659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Touchstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so, doesnt really have to do with sex anymore but hey ;p From what i have learned, unitarian alone can imply ties to the church of england ;p but this is kinda off topic now ...
Posts: 36 | From: USA, NY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 2 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting Topic; Religion & Sex. I have grown up in a catholic church. I however do not agree with the rules that the church has which in this case; no premarital sex.

My choice to have sex had nothing to do with the religion. It was simply from my own personal beliefs seperate from the church.

I however do not have a problem with other people who choose to wait till marriage. It's their life, their choice, and their body.

So that's my 2 cents!

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChitarraRegazza
Neophyte
Member # 15161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChitarraRegazza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... I was raised in a Roman Catholic family, but I have never been religious. While I never put much stock in Christian morality, it's something that kinda weaves its way into you that you can never totally get rid of. Even those don't believe in or act on those lovely commandments often feel a little twinge of guilt on breaking them. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that while religion doesn't determine my sexual behavior, it has definitely affected it.

-Catie

Posts: 25 | From: mass and ny | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.