Donate Now

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Rotten Respones

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rotten Respones
Hnery_Kravis
Neophyte
Member # 14244

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Hnery_Kravis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is more or less an update on my last post since i was blocked. In response to Milke's decision to end my post i have writeen two letters one to him and one to Miz Scarlet.

The Letter to Miz Scarlet goes as follows:

I feel that for these site to work you must create an environment of open discussion, where both sides of an issue can be represented. When you impose your views on other's to the extent of ending conversions you reveal more about yourself and your character than about mine. Actions like this have tainted my view of scarleteen and have made it clear that your site serves as a tunnel to dish out your own opinions under the cover of sexual education. It also makes me wonder how many parents of site user's would appreciate your "methods" of teaching

Chris Burns

Sadly reactions like this are becoming ever more likely. The monitors on this board and others routinely respond in unnecasrily rude and vicious manner to minor infractions. Many new users become frustrated. This taints the image and quality of scarleteen. I would invite responses to this post to be sent to my email however this too is banned.

Chris Burns

Posts: 6 | From: Okotoks,Alberta,Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know Hnery, we do not allow users to post e-mail addresses for their own safety, and snide allusions to this safety measure doesn't help anyone.

This type of what i would call flaming is not acceptable on this board.

When you have a problem you e-mail Miz S with that problem, posting your problem on the boards(even if it's just o refer to the e-mail) is not acceptable.

We were not pushing our views on you.

We were letting you know that Scarleteen does not have any time for bigotry, which you were blatantly showing in your posts.

A moderator will be along soon to close this thread.

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can feel that way all you like.

But here at Scarleteen, we don't feel bigotry is a "side" that needs representation any more than say, rampant violence is a side. You'll find in your life that in various private communities, workplaces and organizations, there will be rules in place about discrimination and harassment, and Scarleteen is no different in that regard, and our polices on such are not up for negotiation. If you can't abide by them, you need to go elsewhere as again, you agreed to abide by them when you registered by clicking the "I Agree" button to the guidelines which included such.

Considering that of the 6000 and some users we have a day, and have for nearly five years, most of the responses from parents are overwhelmingly supportive, and that parents, teacher organizations and other groups like the national council of sex ed here in the US support Scarleteen and how we do things, there's really no need to wonder, save wondering why you'd think good parents would want their children and teens to explore intolerance and bigotry of any flavor.

Milke, for the record, is female, and you, for the record, can't really say what taints or tarnishes the "image" of an organization which is not yours to manage, and in which you have no financial or committal stake. If you feel that aa policy of disallowing bigotry taints our image, you clearly aren't comprehanding the mission of this site from its inception through now.

You have not yet been blocked, but if you continue to flaut the guidelines (as you were clearly reminded of them AND asked to email complaints, rather than post them), you will be. And should your partciaipation flirt with or become haraassment, you'll be reported to your ISP to boot.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hnery_Kravis
Neophyte
Member # 14244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hnery_Kravis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We apparently have a difference of opinions and I am at this time requesting that i be remved from your servers as a member. My veiws repersent a conservative value oriented society. Your rules and guidelines disagree fundamentaly with those veiws.I have no intrest is harrassing anyone however I see no further purpose or reason for me to be apart of scarleteen.
Posts: 6 | From: Okotoks,Alberta,Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing to "remove," save turning off your posting privledges, which I'll be glad to do.

However, it should be noted that a great many political conservatives, or more "traditional-value-oriented" people (a misnomer of a phrase anyway, but like say, Quaker or folks likle Jesus) did/do NOT support bigotry or discrimination either, and very much do not want to be lumped with those who do.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrayDancer
Neophyte
Member # 14256

Icon 4 posted      Profile for GrayDancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Chris, you've requested to leave the forum, so maybe you won't read this, but I'd like to go on record as a parent of 4 teenage daughters: nipping bigotry in the bud is NOT a bad thing.

I realize that you probably do not feel that your opinion is bigotry...but I'm afraid it does, in fact, come across this way. It is hard to want to have a discussion/debate with someone who has already emphatically announced that they do not accept even the possibility that they are wrong. While you did not, in fact, actually say that in so many words, your use of words like "vomit" seemed to preclude the possibility of civil discourse.

Put it another way: you were looking to either pick a fight, since you know what the views of the administrators of this website are (i.e., tolerance) or you were looking to convert people to your point of view--and neither of those is a discussion. Perhaps if you had stated something like "I'm uncomfortable with the idea of gay marriage, but a lot of people seem to think it's a good idea. Can you explain to me why it shouldn't threaten my conservative beliefs?" or even "Here's why I think it's wrong. I know a lot of you think it's right. Can you tell me why?" Neither of those are threatening, and are honest requests for a discussion. Yes, they do reflect bigotry (can you imagine if someone said, even politely, "I believe that black people should drink from different water fountains because...what do you think?") so perhaps they'd be nipped in the bud too...but some kind of open-mindedness needs to be reflected here, an acknowledgement that while you hold beliefs, you are able to accept the validity of different ones.

In regards to this site, and Miz Scarlet in particular, I have to say that I'm glad that someone has the guts to go against the false information that is being taught by the government funded "sex ed" classes. In fact, I recently discovered that even <i>talking</i> about sex is discouraged in the schools. As you can see by my sig, I'm absolutely opposed to ignorance. Making informed decisions is the best weapon I can give my daughters against a very scary world out there. and the information on this site is invaluable.

So, as one of those parents you were referring to--sorry, for the record, this is a great place for my daughters and me to learn.

Gray

------------------
--"Ignorance is not a sin; remaining ignorant is."

Posts: 21 | From: Madison WI USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Gray, for your insightful response.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

Kissing girls in English at the back of the stairs, you're a honey with a following of innocent boys, they never know it because you never show it..." - Belle and Sebastian

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.