Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » How? Why?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How? Why?
AlwaysWorried
Activist
Member # 8472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlwaysWorried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know how clothes manufacturers get away with what they do, and why parents buy the clothes. The other day, I saw a top that was obviously for very young girls (and I mean about 12 absolute maximum), it said across it, and I quote:

Sex instructor
First lesson free

How do they justify selling this sort of thing, and why do parents buy them or let there daughters wear them?

*Potential generalisation warning*
I bet the same people who buy those tops for their 10-12 year old daughter will be the same ones that are active campaigners against peadophiles. Sort yourselves out first!
*End generalisation*

Anyway, I was disgusted, as were the guys with me and the people we told.

Posts: 125 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, when I was that age I was still wearing my beaty and the beast and lion king shirts, but hey thats from a girl who still wears Harry Potter shirts at 19.

I know this is so lame, but it is actually true, or seems to be true in our society, but SEX SELLS!

How do they justify it? They can make money off of it, and thats the bottom line in some companies.

Parents some times don't take part in the shopping experiance, even if the girls are 10. Sometimes the girls get the cash and go and buy what they want. If that were only true when I were 16...lol. And in our society girls think they have to be a certain why to get attention. Which isn't true, by no means. Why do they allow their children to wear them? Various reasons, don't want to seem uncool, don't want to push their daughters away, don't see it as a problem, or don't really care either way "it's only clothes, right?"

------------------
~Jay
"I am the sum of my parts and infinitely more so. The hum of my brain, the curve of my torso. The spark of my wit, the depth of my heart. Size is no measure in such a work of art" (from a Hanes Her Way ad)

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Related thread: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum8/HTML/000527.html
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlwaysWorried
Activist
Member # 8472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlwaysWorried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My previous worst sight was a girl about 14 max who was wearing a top saying "Small ones are juicier", but this far surpassed it in the "What the hell are they doing?" effect. I checked out the other thread and it gets worse. Thongs for children with pictures of cherries and phrases like "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" on them. Shouldn't someone be campaigning?
Posts: 125 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As much as some people don't like the idea of it, what can you really do ... ?? What about freedom of speech? These young girls probably like the attention it gets them ... Does freedom of speech have an age limit on it, too?

Not meaning to cause a ruckus ... Just some things that came to mind

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Freedom of speech is one thing, but do they really know what they are saying?
There's a difference between making a statement with full understanding of its connotations and what kind of situation it might lead to and thinking "Well, I want to be like my friends and if this is what the shops are selling it must be fashionable"
I have to say, in my experience a seven year old might not realise the full implications of wearing a shirt with "Small ones are juicier" written on it.
Shouldn't parents be the ones to stop this? In my opinion, they are buying the clothes for thier children, so they should say "no!" to inappropriate clothing. If noone was buying it, the shops would stop selling it.

Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I'm not the world's biggest fan of such, I have to honestly say that I don't see kids coevered in coprporate labels as being any better.

You're talking about selling sex, that's about selling capitalism, etc.

In other words, I think the sex issue when it comes to this isn't the only one out there, by any means, and isn't necessarily the biggest one simply because of our culture's reactions to sex and young folk.

(Just an FYI, btw, as to the psychology of the pedophilic mind: this kind of clothing for most pedophilies would NOT be an attractant, but would more likely be found a total buzzkill and a turnoff. Pedophilies are attracted to children, and primarily-- in most cases, not all -- children who look and sound like children.)

I'm also willing to bet the whole thing really isn't netting anyone much positive attention.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're not getting attention elsewhere, it doesn't matter if the attention you DO get is negative or positive (when you're a kid, anyway ... maybe even adults too)

And it's defineatly about peer pressure ... For both the sexy clothing for little ones and labels. But again, who's to say what can and can't be worn? If not the parents ... are these kids allowed to wear this (sex) stuff to school? (We have growing numbers of uniformed public schools for this very reason ... kids (mainly high school 'kids') wearing 'inappropriate' clothing.)

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose what I really meant is that I'm not sure it's really going to be netting much attention, good or bad, period, save from a few folks feeling shocked (and in that case too, some of that is what's going to be rought to it by those folks, so.).

There are pretty easy parenting questions for this sort of thing anyway that make it all less of an issue. After all, if shopping with kids who do pick this sort of thing up one just says "What does -- insert sultry phrase on clothing here -- mean to you?"

I think most of us wouldn't be too shocked to find your average 8-year-old found it to mean something very different than an adult would. And a parent can certainly explain what an adult might think that would mean and foster discussion about it, and thus make those choices accordingly.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.