Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Teacher Suspended For Views on Gays.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Teacher Suspended For Views on Gays.
herecomestheson
Activist
Member # 8200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for herecomestheson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a recent news item from my province.

Here is the article: http://thestar.workopolis.com/servlet/Content/fasttrack/20030423/UTEACN?section=Educa tion

What does everyone think about this? Should a teacher be suspended for his views outside of the classroom? Should free speech be restricted for teachers? Discuss!

[This message has been edited by herecomestheson (edited 04-25-2003).]

Posts: 72 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's not just a teacher, he's a counselor, so those views can -- and have -- very well create conflict with his ability to perform that job: any student or parent who read that piece, for instance, and who either is bisexual or homosexual, or who eschews that sort of bigotry, will now no longer be comfortable with this man in that regard. To boot, this is more than one piece, and in one of his pieces he criticized his own union for initiatives in the schools to end GLBT harassment, clearly stating he doesn't support his own schools policies to make things fair and safe for all students there.

I agree, it can be iffy with things like this, but teachers are hired on the basis of who they are, not just who they are in school, because it is a position that's pretty intense and does require loads of tolerance. Holding any job also often requires accepting certain value systems that job puts forth, and in this case, that's equality and tolerance.

I used to be a teacher as well, and one of the reasons I don't teach actively now is because of my sex work, even with Scarleteen -- even if I didn't bring that to a school, they could base hiring or keeping me on what I do outside the classroom, and while I sincerely wish our culture was such that my working with sexuality wasn't a conflict, in a school system, it very much can be, and I respect that because I respect how delicate it is to educate and run a school. What I do outside the classroom, especially when made public knowledge, can very much effect how students feel about me, how parents and colleagues can work with me, and can stand counter to a given schools values, just like with this man, despite it being a very different take on things.

Were he say, saying publicly he felt all african-americans were psychologically abnormal, or that protecting students from racial harassment was NOT a bad idea, it'd be pretty clear to see that there was no way he could deal with that student population fairly or with tolerance, no?

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 04-25-2003).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum8/HTML/000648.html
Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.