Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Equal Rights in School

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Equal Rights in School
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friends and I are having a problem at our school. We are in the rural south, and there is one out lesbian couple at my school, a couple of friends of mine. Recently, student have been complaining about them being affectionate, so much in fact that the administration here has forbidden them to even touch while on school property. Also, the more "butch" girl is not allowed to hug anyone, period. They were told that they "were infringing on the rights of the other students as Americans." Aren't they Americans too? Aren't our rights infringed upon every time we have to look at hetero couples practically going at it in the halls? We have decided to raise as much hell as possible. I am writing an editorial for the paper, and several of us are going to the guidance office and complaining the hetero couples in the hallways are "infringing upon our rights as Americans." We are also writing letters to the school board. Any other ideas as to how we can combat this blatant discrimination would much appreciated. Thanks a bunch.
Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hullo Rose,

just two things i felt like mentioning before you kick up your school:

a) How did the administration tell the people involved and what exactly was said? - Make sure you have the clear hard facts, stuff that's this delicate is often blown out of proportion as it makes the rounds of the school. Are there rules regarding sexual contact/pda that affect all students? Are they enforced for straight students? Are they different to what the two gals were told? Selectively putting or enforcing rules on students because of sexual orientation is not ok.

b) Have you contacted your local ACLU? ( http://www.aclu-tn.org/ ) ? They are the most helpful place when it comes to Student's rights, including the rights of GLBT students. Ask the folks there for their expert opinion, support and activism ideas.
Also, contact GLBT Rigts Organisations in your area (such as http://www.equalitytennessee.org ) and ask for opinion and support.
While it's awesome you're willing to stand up and be an activist here, make sure it happens with good tactics and well though out arguments, and not emotionally and in the heat of the moment.

Good luck!

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: (In response to being asked to fight a troll) "I would, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the PDA rules at my school, the rule states that no more than hand holding is allowed. The girls are not even allowed to do that. As for the rule being enforced, it is occaisonally monitored for the straight couples, but was blown out of proportion for the my friends because the principal said they were a "high-profile" relationship. I'm going today to speak with the guidance counselor to get the "hard facts" although I do believe that what my friends told me is what actually happened. Thanks for the links, Caro, and your advice.
Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"High Profile Relationship"? Now that's a funny reason to give. So are the (excuse the cliché) cheerleader/home coming queen and her quaterback boyfriend not allowed to hold hands either, because they are "high profile", too? he.

I think if there is a rule, it should be enforced all the same for everyone, no matter what orientation. - Your tatic can be to either attempt to overthrow that rule (which might not work, considering it is quite reasonable), or to aim for similar enforcement for all, which I doubt will get much support from mainstream straight couples that currently break that rule every day.

In any way, good on you for going to see your counsellor and make sure you giev the ACLU a buzz. Hope all goes well.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: (In response to being asked to fight a troll) "I would, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nifty
Activist
Member # 11254

Icon 6 posted      Profile for nifty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello rose!

i dont have any info or advice or anything -

but i do think that its great you will stand up to this rule!!

hurray for you!
good luck

Posts: 52 | From: england | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatsthatmommy
Activist
Member # 7869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatsthatmommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good job rose, as the late Abbey Hoffman said "POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!"
Posts: 69 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to rule in favor of the rules *my* high schol had.

No public displays of affection. not between straight people, not between queer people, not even between the most popular kids in school. The detention officer was an equal opportunity enforcer, and frankly, I was all for it. I mean, school is for studying, so save the mushy crap till after the bell rings.

My point, if you're gonna have a rule like that, you have to enforce it uniformly, otherwise not enforce it at all.

------------------
Universal Law #4721: Any joke can be made funnier with the word "goatf**ker." Corollary, any story can be made more entertaining by adding a few ninjas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackRoseFaery:
I'm going today to speak with the guidance counselor to get the "hard facts"...

Caro gave some great advice there, if I do say so myself. The only thing I'd like to add is a request that you keep us updated. I'd certainly like to hear more about this, as the story you've given seems to be a rather blatant case of discrimination. I know that sometimes emotions get involved and stories get twisted a bit, so as soon as you can get it sorted out, please let us know. Thanks and good luck!

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PBOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Well, here's a small update. The guidance counselors have been speaking with the principals on equal rights for all students, but the principals have yet to say anything. One of the girls is going to write a letter to the superintendent (sp). Also, the principal sent around an email to all the teachers about not discussing it in class. Its some progress, but not as much as I'd like to see.

[This message has been edited by BlackRoseFaery (edited 02-25-2003).]

Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey BlackRoseFaery, that's terrible what your school is doing! I really don't see how the students' "rights as Americans" are being infringed upon!

I think school is a much nicer place to be if people are allowed to hold hands and hug (at recess, of course. Class time is for studying, but recess is for fun).

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Thanks for the update.

Black Rose, has anyone (for example you or one of the gals affected) been in touch with the ACLU or another support group yet? - Sorry to repeat myself, but they really can be extremely helpful in cases like this one and assist you in contacting the right people and formulating your critique in such a way that it can actually work towards overall change.

Thing is, that while I am all for protest and activism, I'm an even bigger fan of extremely well organised, level-headed protest. - Partly because the latter usually comes with a minimised risk of further trouble for those rising-up against the discrimination they are facing.

So get the support - I have no doubt you could do it without, but why not ask for help if it's so readily available?

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 02-25-2003).]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.