Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » sex question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sex question...
stevesbaby131
Neophyte
Member # 11801

Icon 7 posted      Profile for stevesbaby131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a question, my mom would never let me have sex (this is very hypethetical by the way) and i was curious, if i wanted to have sex...is it her desicion if i can or cannot? since i'm 13 she says that she basically owns me until i'm 18, is that true too? i've been thinking about having sex in a couple of years but i'm thinking of doing it before i'm 18 and i don't want my mom to not let me, she has this way of....knowing everything i do...so i'm kinda afraid..haha thanx a lot you guys

------------------
~*~HuGs AnD kIsSeS~*~

Posts: 16 | From: U S OF A BABY!!! | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Legally, you need to be over the Age Of Consent in your state to engage in sexual activity, regardless of whether your mother or parents approve or not. When you are the Age Of Consent or older, it is indeed your choice whether you have sex or not - but if that does not fall within the rules that your parents have while you live with them, perhaps you are better to respect how they feel. Someone else may need to clarify other laws regarding emancipation and parental rights in the US. (Emancipation is the release of a child from the control of their parents/guardians).

FYI, practically no US states have an Age Of Consent younger than 16. You can check your state at AgeOfConsent.com.

[This message has been edited by entropie (edited 02-16-2003).]

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in addition to what entropie said, while your mom doesn't actually have a final say in the things your ultimately do, if it means a lot to you, considering what your mother taught you and the values she tried to instill in you is a perfectly okay reason to say no to sex for a while. by that, i mean if you are worried about hurting your mom's feelings or breaking her trust, then it's okay to say no. If that's a risk you're willing to take, however, then you mom can't really do anything to stop you.

With that said, age, love and stubbornness are probably popular reasons for doing it, but a lot of times, they don't really mean a person is ready for it. Check this out instead Ready or Not? ?The Readiness Checklist

------------------
Universal Law #4721: Any joke can be made funnier with the word "goatf**ker." Corollary, any story can be made more entertaining by adding a few ninjas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stevesbaby131
Neophyte
Member # 11801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stevesbaby131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanx a lot but a question for what entropie said, does that Age Of Consent thing go for oral sex too? i mean it isn't really penetrating anything so that wouldn't count right? thanx again

------------------
~*~HuGs AnD kIsSeS~*~

Posts: 16 | From: U S OF A BABY!!! | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Age of consent goes for oral sex and manual sex, and can include other acts (fondling, for example) depending on where you are.

------------------
Universal Law #4721: Any joke can be made funnier with the word "goatf**ker." Corollary, any story can be made more entertaining by adding a few ninjas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stevesbaby131
Neophyte
Member # 11801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stevesbaby131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanx soooo much i really appreciate it

------------------
~*~HuGs AnD kIsSeS~*~

The Hitman
Neophyte
Member # 12010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Hitman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I'd hate to live in America. I'm 18 and living in Australia, so I'm legal. I think the law here is that once you're over 16, it's open slather, as long as they're within two years of your age.

By the way, if manual stimulation is illegal until age of consent in America, I'm guessing there are a lot of kids breaking the law.

------------------
"Like Pilate, I have a dog!"

Posts: 10 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.