Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » When are your values no longer YOUR values?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When are your values no longer YOUR values?
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Quesnel, BC, a man might lose his job.

He's an evangelical Christian, and chooses to take the Bible literally.
He is also a high school guidance counsellor.

He recently spewed off an editorial and 4 letters to the town newspaper (town population: 25,000) condemning homosexuality, commenting on how immoral it is, and said he was praying that potentially gay students come to him so he can save their lives.

Needless to say, he ticked off quite a few people, who think he should be removed from his job (as a guidance counsellor)

He says that the comments he made weren't directly on the job, so it shouldn't matter.

Thoughts?

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusk
Neophyte
Member # 9957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he's a counsellor at a public high school, I think the public has a reason to be at least a little concerned. Espcecially if he "said he was praying that potentially gay students come to him so he can save their lives." Just how does he expect to do that? o_O There are appropriate places to offer advice according to one's religious beliefs but I don't think as a public school worker is one of them.

If this is a private school and he's in line with the school's beliefs, then it's up to the school to decide if he overstepped himself.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This guy's being ridiculous if he says in a letter/editorial, that his religious views colour his job performance, and then turns around to the people who are upset and says that this won't have any bearing on his job performance.

He can't have it both ways: either he says he won't try and change gay students, or he admits that his religion will change the way he does his job.

------------------
You can twist his body 'til it faces backwards/Those plastic features/You could make somebody a pretty little wife/But don't let anybody tell you how to live your life.
-Elvis Costello, Tear Off Your Own Head (It's a Doll Revolution)

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatsthatmommy
Activist
Member # 7869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatsthatmommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oooh this is a touchy subject. What he did was out of his job, but it was in a public place refering to his job. Im not sure about canada, but in america i know for a fact he would get fired and there would be not as much of an outcry becuase you need to take religion completely out of a public institution here.
Posts: 69 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See, I honestly wonder about that.

I know you guys are supposed to have very distinct zones of religion and anything else, and yet I find the US to be a much more religious atmosphere than Canada. Whether that's better or worse has yet to be seen, by me at least.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Hitman
Neophyte
Member # 12010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Hitman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else find it ironic that this guy is under fire for using free speech, expressing his opinion against what is effectively free expression of sexuality.

Kinda funny, when you think about it.

The Hitman

Posts: 10 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not not think we are concerned with his freedom of speech, that is of course his right in US society. However, his beliefs and self-confessed intentions mark him out as being incompetent at being a counsellor specifically. Even if he held beliefs against homosexuality, he could still act perfectly well if he kept that out of his work but if he wants change people from their chosen, or even unchosen orientation then he is rendered useless in that field. And I dont think I am being unfair.

An anxious and often confused student does not need to be plied with religious dogma, explaining how "evil" his possible future lifestyle will be. That could only ever make things worse and that runs against the whole point of having a school counsellor.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BC is British Columbia, on the west coast of Canada.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost
Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gah! Terribly sorry. I know how much you Canadians don't like to be mixed up with Americans. I had not read over the whole topic for a few weeks and I must have forgotten the geographical setting for this particular news story.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I don't mind, it's just that nationality can affect scenarios like this.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost
Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Hey, no worries. I'm the first person to get touchy about being a so-called "wannabe American", and even *I* don't mind
Gladys
Neophyte
Member # 11551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gladys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is just so not okay.

I really have no sympathy for him. He may be a B.C. Bible Belter, but if he wants to be a public servant (as public school teachers are), he's going to have to respect the public laws. And blatant public discrimination based on sexual orientation is not allowed, and in a public school where this guy regularly comes into contact with gay teenagers, could be very damaging.

It totally ruins his credibility as a counsellor.

We had a flap in Ontario last spring because a student at a Catholic high school (which in Ontario are publicly funded, which...don't get me started) wanted to take his boyfriend to the prom and the school wouldn't let him. He sued them for the right to attend, and won.

If you're going to accept public money, you're going to be accountable to the public. Deal.

And yeah, in general, Canada is a less religious society than the US.

[This message has been edited by Gladys (edited 03-05-2003).]

Posts: 10 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missyj
Activist
Member # 10430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Church and State, or in this case province, , should be kept separate. If it were a Catholic school etc., then fine. But its public, everyone needs to respect eachother. We have freedom of speech, not freedom to harass people by telling them that "we need to save them."

And cupcake, yeah, the states seems to be more 'religious' to me too. But I think thats because we associate religion with Christianity. And the States still seems to be dominately Christian, Canada has really really been promoting multiculturalism and diversity of religion. So Canada is still very religious, but not in the same context as the States, we don't see a concetration on the Christian religion here anymore like we still do in the states. Thats just my opinion, though.

------------------
Love is natural, and everything that goes with it. ;)

Posts: 153 | From: Oakville, Ontario. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.