Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » A little less innocent than Barbie...?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A little less innocent than Barbie...?
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you might have heard about this.

Wal-Mart stores in the United States responded to consumer complaints about a doll, and pulled her off the shelves. The reason? Midge, Barbie's best friend, is pregnant. The link is good for the next week. Children who play with the doll can open her stomach, and have a baby pop out.

Pressure groups in the U.S. complained that Mattel, which makes the doll, was endorsing teen pregnancies. In Canada, by contrast, no one has uttered a word about the doll.

Curiously, the doll is marketed on the packaging as being married - but no one seems to mind the idea of a teen being married.

I don't know what the problem is. Haven't there been scores of dolls like this before?

Would you let your children play with such a doll? Do you think that this doll sends a message to children that play with it?

------------------
You can twist his body 'til it faces backwards/Those plastic features/You could make somebody a pretty little wife/But don't let anybody tell you how to live your life.
-Elvis Costello, Tear Off Your Own Head (It's a Doll Revolution)

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where were these people eighteen years ago, when Mattel was marketing another pregnant doll? (If you weren't around then, the doll normally had the baby tied to her waist with a ribbon, under her dress)

If I recall right, too, Midge has been around at least thirty years, and Barbie was originally based on a German doll marketed at adults. Is it possible that right now we're just more sensitive to the issue of teen pregnancy than we have been at some points previously?

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Danny says Relax.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Meh. Even though I didn't have a "pregnant" Barbie, my Barbie got pregnant pretty frequently anyway. It's not like I had to have a pregnant doll to realize that.

What about those stuffed dogs and cats that you could un-Velcro their stomachs and all the puppies/kittens would come out? (What were those called, anyway?)

Stupid, I think - they should be spending their time and money working on *real* problems. Maybe they could educate young people on how not to get pregnant on the first place. Maybe they could donate some time and media attention to Scarleteen, for example.

[Hey, I remember that Heart Family thing.]

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Maypole/The ties that bind you will unwind/To free me one day/And everything decays..." - XTC, "The Wheel and the Maypole"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The difference, I think, Milke, might be that the Heart Family looks pretty much like these people want everyone else to look - they'd probably encourage those dolls today.

------------------
You can twist his body 'til it faces backwards/Those plastic features/You could make somebody a pretty little wife/But don't let anybody tell you how to live your life.
-Elvis Costello, Tear Off Your Own Head (It's a Doll Revolution)

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really can't see why people are complaining. As said above, I used to pretend barbie was pregnant anyway, and she had many, many children- You don't need a pregnant doll before children will pretend that Barbie is starting a family.

If anything, I would say that this doll is educational. I think children should learn where babies come from, and if pregnant Midge is going to help to introduce them to the idea, so much the better.

Also, a pregnant doll might help to ease the transition from being an only child to having a younger sibling. It would probably help children to look on the whole situation in a better light if not only mummy but also thier favorite toy was having a baby.

Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work at Zellers.....

What scares me is not that Midge is pregnant without a ring.
What scares me is that dolls are supposed to be fun toys, a fantasy, plaything etc..... and tehre's a new line of toys out called "happy family".

Is it really that rare?

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pity Midge doesn't also come with an insert explaining that over 80% of cesarian sections are unnecessary.

Or that genitals are kind of required to become pregnant.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keermj
Neophyte
Member # 11425

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Keermj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never even heard about this doll on t.v. Shoot, i would've ran out and bought it just to see what it looks like. In fact, if somebody has a link where i could see the doll, lend it to me. I tried every freaking Barbie site to see this Midge chick, and i havent yet. And apparently, i can't see her at Wal-Mart.
Anyways, i agree that if we had a doll like this out there b4, maybe i wouldnt've gotten a seven hour talk about where babies come from. I think it would be much easier if kids got the idea at a younger age, but oi dont think we should complety rely on some doll to teach our chldren about birth and sex.
~Keer

Posts: 2 | From: Vickery, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/021227/5/r2pd.html

And if that link dies, as Yahoo ones tend to: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2608867.stm

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else ever notice that ken had underwear while barbie didn't even have a disguise for being anatomically incorrect?

Well, back onto topic. Honestly I didn't even know of Midge. But then again I could of had her but named her something entirally different.

I see know problem with Midge having a baby or being pregnant. I think the real issue, is that Midge is sold seperatly from her husband, making it look like a single mom, or possibly a pregnant teenager. (Let's face it barbie isn't getting any older )

The Wal-Mart corporation is so sensitive about what it's portraying to it's consumers. Thus is why I don't buy a cd from them.

They make billions, if not trillions a year and they are worried over some doll, if they are so worried about pregnancy they need to put their money in something that might help prevent unwanted pregnancies, STIs, etc.

------------------
~Jay
"I am the sum of my parts and infinitely more so. The hum of my brain, the curve of my torso. The spark of my wit, the depth of my heart. Size is no measure in such a work of art" (from a Hanes Her Way ad)

[This message has been edited by youcancallmepunk (edited 02-10-2003).]

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KandyKorn17
Activist
Member # 9729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KandyKorn17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pfff I would never buy a pregnant barbie doll. Not because there is something wrong with it, I just would rather have the skinny princess barbie. But when I was 7 years old all my barbies were getting it on with each other, so...
Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UKgirl
Activist
Member # 11280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm, what do you think the chances are of any big chain refusing to sell all those baby dollies to little girls? I don't see how this Barbie doll is any worse, possibly its even a little better. I saw it the other day in a shop and she does look like a full grown woman. A young woman, but still a woman. So kids act out a woman having being a mum. The little baby type dollies on the other hand let the kid act out being a mum, which I think might be a little more dodgy on the teen-mum front.
Posts: 166 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a pregnant Barbie when I was around 8 years old. She wasn't married or had a ring or anything. (and I had never thought about it before I read this topic). It wasn't much of a revolution because for me, it was just another kind of Barbie (there are singer, mermaid, skiing, birthday party, going to bed, going to the beach etc Barbie, why not pregnant?). Also, I had known for a long time how babies were made. I already knew when I got a younger brother, and back then I was 3 (except I knew it in a simple way a 3 year old can understand)

Oh, and I was Midge today. The only thing I didn't like about her is how it was written to buy the dad and the brother. Separetely, of course.

[This message has been edited by misscat (edited 02-13-2003).]

Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.