Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » 'Skin tone' contraceptive patch provocative

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Skin tone' contraceptive patch provocative
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 2 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, AlterNet.org!!

One Color Contraceptive Does Not Fit All

This was seriously my first thought upon seeing the Ortho Evra contraceptive patch.

Basically, the article notes that the patch, which is advertised as a discreet alternative form of birth control, is offered only in one color: beige.

From the Ortho Evra web site:

quote:
Is ORTHO EVRA available in different colors?

Currently, the ORTHO EVRA birth control patch is available only in one color, beige. Other colors, including a clear patch, are being evaluated for future development.

The J&J PRD, L.L.C. tested different patch colors, including a clear patch, for ORTHO EVRA. Beige was selected because it maintained its appearance best over the seven-day wear period.

Would the lack of colors available lead to you choose a different method of hormonal contraception?

Does this get under anyone else's skin? ;]

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

[This message has been edited by lemming (edited 01-14-2003).]

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angel07
Activist
Member # 8018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i do think they should offer more colors other than just beigy peach! thats kindof racist, isnt it? to say that it blends with your skin tone-but only if your caucasian. if they are only going to have one color, they shouldnt advertise for it blending in well. but actually, i havent seen it so if its like the bandaid, it doesnt really blend with my skin anyway! if they are going to use color blending as a feature to make it more appealing, they should make it in a variety of colors for different people, no matter your skin tone. or just make it one color~clear. i dont think they should choose beige as the "best" because it blends the best when in reality, it doesnt really blend to caucasian skin tones (in my experience) and it wont blend with other skin tones either! thats just what i think.
Posts: 131 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd want mine in neon pink.

You're not going to wear it on your forehead, are you? You don't match your underwear and bras w/ your skin tone all the time, why should any other piece of 'underclothes' be any different?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, that is quite interesting. I'll have to confess that I honestly didn't realize that the patch literally was beige. Either I wasn't paying enough attention, or was having a brain-fart or something. I assumed it was clear for some odd reason.

Which, I think would be a fabulous idea. A clear patch would match up with everybody. And, I think it might be snazzy if they offered some with some sort of artsy design on them (or offered you the option of putting personalized art on them...probably asking a bit much, but it'd be neat anyway).

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the issue is so much that it doesn't match or shouldn't match, Smurf.

It's that in its advertising it is stating that it DOES match "your skin tone", when in fact what it matches is one clearly caucasian skin tone. And that is essentially racist.

It'd be like if I were, say, a college who claimed that my tuition was afforable "for you," when it was afforadble to only the upper 10% of residents and you were the lower 10%. That'd be classist.

In the case of birth control it gets especially sticky because in a lot of cases, scenarios and communities, birth control overall IS more accessible to certain classes and races than others, and tends often to be marketed to a very specific class/race as well more times than not.

(I agree, Kitten, that'd be fun as well -- but. I think the patch is going to be limited as-is because all too many people, sadly, would not want anyone in the world to know they're using contraceptives. having it be pink or having a butterfly on it doesn't exactly scream "blend.")

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i never made a fuss about Band-Aids, and likewise, i don't really see a point in making a fuss over the color of Ortho-Evra. For one thing, i never met anyone who remotely matched the "skin" color of the fabric on the bandage. It's not worth it to me to change the color of the patch if it means that the quality will be sacrificed. for example, i buy ugly fabric bandages because the cutesy plastic ones don't stick as comfortably. meh. if they can make a clear patch that works i won't object. but i think it is excessive to make so many shade to match everybody. it's not makeup, you're going to hide the thing anyway.

------------------
According to the experts, I am some species of badass.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then i think the problem falls w/ the advertising, not the product itself.

At the same time tho, they also advertise putting in places that aren't likely to be seen anyway. You're supposed to wear it on your bottom, hip, tummy ... somewhere so it's not going to be seen. If you're not going to see it, why does it matter what colour it is?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree with you Smurf. It seems to essentially be a marketing issue/error on their part.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, Smurf, if you require birth control, it's likely that someone's going to see it no matter where you put it.

------------------
"And when I'm gone, she'll never leave me. No, no she'll never, be untrue. And buddy if you do not believe me, you don't believe the sky is blue."
-Joel Plaskett, Down at the Khyber

[This message has been edited by Dzuunmod (edited 01-14-2003).]

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up, too, on the idea that the writer brought up: I think it's be pretty awesome if they offered it in different designs.

As for people wanting it to be discreet, look at the new pill packs being offered by Ortho: they're Nicole Miller-designed, with pictures of lipsticks and high heels - a far cry from the nasty pink Dialpaks you get free.

I can Mod-Podge my Dialpak, but I wouldn't want to do anything to the patch by myself.

I think they need clear to start with, and then some sort of snazzy design. Then everyone could be satisfied.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Hey i have nothing against it being seen!

For those who do tho, here's to hoping that they've had the birth control discussion w/ their partner(s) and he'll know what it's all about. If not, the colour of the patch isn't your only/biggest problem ...

Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I remember the era of clear Band-Aids, and those things got damn grubby and icky looking. And no, I've never seen a 'flesh-tone' anything that looked like anyone I've ever seen. Changing the advertising, and making the patches available in, say 'neutral', and something fun like leopard print seems about the best idea.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

It was a good lay. . .

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you ask me they should just make it look like a big bandaid, then if anyone sees it who you don't want to, you have a good excuse.
Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusk
Neophyte
Member # 9957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing something about the patch before and for some reason assumed they were either clear or came in a few shades. I agree that advertising them as "blending in" wasn't a great idea on their part.

I'd go for a clear or slightly opaque one. I'm freckled so it's gonna stand out otherwise Although, I think being able to get them in designs would be kind of fun too.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but can I ask how many caucasian people are "beige".

As an extremely pale person I feel discriminated against! :P

Smoking patches are beige or clear, band aids are, this isn't a big deal..

I mean, how can they service everyone and guarantee that there is a colour for every skin tone. Even if they did release a dark coloured patch for people of different ethnic groups.

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.