Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » When sex sullies stuff

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When sex sullies stuff
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Playing off the discussion about James Bond having sex in a temple, I thought I'd cast a wider net: What, if anything, should sex not touch? Are sex scenes in temples always off-limits, or only when Bond does it? What about when a small, indie flick has a sex scene in a place of worship?

How about this magazine cover where American rapper Lil Kim covers most of her face wearing a hijab, but exposes much of her body - much more than would be acceptable in many predominantly-Muslim societies. Predictably, the photo angered some Muslims.

I'm not interested, especially, in responses to the two scenarios given up above, though you're welcome to provide them. I'm curious about everyone's response to a larger issue: Sex is used to draw attention to, and to mock every other bloody thing under the sun, why should religion be any different?

------------------
"Just remember you'll only be the boss so long as you pay my wage!"
-Elvis Costello, Cheap Reward

[This message has been edited by Dzuunmod (edited 01-03-2003).]

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, as a demi-Buddhist atheist, I don't have a problem with the idea of sex in a temple per se - I don't see sex as something that's going to "sully" anything.

However, context makes a difference, as ever.

For example, I'd guess that the producers would never have shown Bond having sex in a Christian church - they'd anticipate getting protests about that, which you don't want if you're trying to produce a generic block-buster. Generally, that is the sort of thing that only an indie film would risk doing, and it would most likely be because they wanted to make a specific point (religious or political) by it.

But the assumption of the Bond producers seems to be that with a Buddhist temple, the same rules don't apply - it's as if they figured Eastern religions are just a bit of exotic scenery. It's that implication that annoys me.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see some irony in having Sarah Jones's name under LK's (Your Revolution (Will Not Happen Between These Thighs)). I don't think the issue here is about sex so much as respect. If you know something bothers someone, and you don't *need* to do it, you're probably best off leaving well enough alone. Religion is extremely important to many people, often much more so than politics and other very personal concerns, and taking a stab at something people hold very dear is asking for trouble (though I know, sometimes that's the point.). Sex, quite simply, is also something else that's important to people, and attention getting by nature. While this means it can be an effective marketing ploy, or way of adding some excitement to a movie or whathaveyou, it doesn't necessarily mean that using it to do so is always appropriate. We'd be wise to show sex some more respect too. It's a lot more than a tool to manipulate consumers, and should be treated as such.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

I want a boy for my birthday . . .

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KandyKorn17
Activist
Member # 9729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KandyKorn17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to disagree with you, milke... I think that everybody has the right to do something someone else might find offensive. And anybody has the right to be offended by that. And when I say right, I mean... I don't think one should hold back on someone else's behalf. That's just me, though.

As for the lil kim thing- that is so awesome!

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to concur with Milke actually. If I'm not mistaken, the point is you CAN do whatever under the protection of free speech. But just because you does not necessarily mean you SHOULD do something.

And I especially like that last point Milke brought up -- sex is more than a marketing ploy and as such, deserves to be respected accordingly.

------------------
Don't be coward like shrimp, be brave like PRAWN!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummmmm ::thinking:: I think i got my thoughts on this together, so bare with me.

I to agree that sex and religion are both very important things to people. And that they should be treated with respect.

But does that mean people need to watch were they step when it comes to such things, NOPE. By crossing a line we realize were the line is drawn, and can possibly change the line. Sometimes not in the best way, but sometimes in the best best way possible.

I also agree that if someone has the right to do something, doesn't mean is should necessarily be done. I think though, that the concept itself is great, but that we have become an overly cautious society, where we fear that if we say something it will bring reprocutions on us. AND I don't believe that is okay.

Our society has become overly P.C. that even the simpliest of comments made in the workplace "you look nice today" can become a reason to have a sexual harassment lawsuit.

That's a little off topic, so I'll attempt to get back on what my original thought was. Who decides what is appropriate and respectful in concerns of sex, religion or any other issue that causes great uproar? The gov't? The people? The individuals directly affected? The victims (if their are victims?)

Okay, that wasn't exactly the clearest of thoughts, I'm really tired. Off to bed I go, maybe after I sleep my thoughts will be more clear, maybe not ::shrugs::

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.