Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Activism Alert! Conference in Washington: "Mobilizing Youth to Save Abortion Rights"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Activism Alert! Conference in Washington: "Mobilizing Youth to Save Abortion Rights"
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks

This morning, I received the following eMail from the folks from Million 4 Roe that I thought I'd share with you.

quote:

On January 22-23, 2003, hundreds of students from across the country will gather in Washington, DC to show their support for abortion rights on the 30th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court decision that gave all American women the right to safe, legal abortion.

At the Never Go Back Student Leadership Conference: Mobilizing Youth to Save Abortion Rights, pro-choice students from across the country will strategize together new ways to protect reproductive rights for future generations. Major leaders of the women's rights movement today will
address the conference, including:
Gloria Feldt - Planned Parenthood, Kate
Michelman - NARAL, Kim Gandy - NOW, Dr. Jane Smith - Business and Professional Women USA, and many more!

Students: You are invited and encouraged to join us!
Register at http://www.feminist.org/store/ngbconference

[...]

This conference is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Don't let the only voice in Washington on January 22nd be the anti-abortion minority. Help show Washington that pro-choice feminists ARE the majority!

Please share the information about this conference with the pro-choice college students that you know. To learn more about the conference or register online, visit http://www.feminist.org/store/ngbconference.asp.

We need your help to win this fight. We can Never Go Back!

The Conference will offer participants to:

• Attend seminars about women's rights and reproductive freedom with prominent leaders of the women's movement;
  • Learn leadership and mobilization strategies for advancing grassroots campaigns to defeat anti-choice Supreme Court nominees;
  • Train to be a stronger advocate of reproductive freedom on your campus and in your community;
  • Visit legislators on Capitol Hill to show support for abortion rights;
  • Commemorate the 30th anniversary of Roe v. Wade - the landmark Supreme Court decision that gave women the right to safe, legal abortion; and
  • Network with fellow student feminist activists.

Registration fee is $25.00, but for those short on cash, registration fees are also offered on a sliding scale.
So if you're on the east coast, and want to protect choice, make sure you're in Washington on January 22nd and 23rd.

Showing activism to protect choice in the US is muchly needed RIGHT NOW: the US Supreme Court needs just one more anti-choice judge, and Roe might be overturned!

Act, folks!

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: (In response to being asked to fight a troll) "I would, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 11-26-2002).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't ya know that that's the same city an obnoxious, opinionated Australian lives in?

If I can find time, I'll be along!

------------------
Cars for everyone!
For the penisless, inbred redneck in you!
For the penisless, psychotic, imbecilic executive in you!
For the mindless idiot in you!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnyside
Neophyte
Member # 10702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnyside     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if it's for students, what do we do about school? not that I'd mind skipping, of course, but my parents might not be so keen on the idea.
Posts: 18 | From: texas. boy howdy. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard!!
You made my day, mate. You know, I can almost picture you in front of the big stairs of congress (is it that way or am I imagining it?) with a big sign saying "Protect Choice" around your neck, chanting protest songs louder than the no choice folks that will -no doubt- be there, too.
he.

sunnyside - from my understanding this is geared towards college students who would - at least as far as i know- be on break then.
don't just skip school to travel cross country! - unless there would be a way to get out of school with an excuse (if that's possible, i know over here you can get excuses for political activities, if you've got interested teachers and a good school).

considering sunny, that you're in houston, how about finding out whether there'll be any activities in your area to protect choice on the upcoming anniversary of Roe v. Wade? You can be an activist anywhere!

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: (In response to being asked to fight a troll) "I would, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 11-27-2002).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Sunny, i had a good look around, and there are lots of opportunities for you to get active locally.

There are several local chapters of the feminist majority foundation (the folks who do this conference) at campuses all over Texas. Maybe you could join the activists there, even though you are a high school student!

You could also contact Houstons Planned Parenthood and ask whether they have planned anything for the day and offer to volunteer! - I saw from their website that they have some events planned for January, - However, their main Roe event looked like a fundraising luncheon, which i don't think a young activist could afford nor be interest in.
However, they seem to be planning a big trip of Planned Parenthood supporters to Austin to visit elected officials for February 5th, check the PP Houston website for more infos (under "Take Action")

Another option would be to contact your local chapter of NARAL, which is called "TARAL" - Texas Abortion Rights Action League. Contact them at TARAL
P.O. Box 684602, Austin, TX. 78768,Phone (512) 462-1661, info@taral.org and ask what they have planned to commemorate Roe and offer to take part and volunteer! I am sure they'd appreciate your interest and be glad to have a volunteer, even just on a one-time basis.

So in short, here are some (local) resources for you to check to get started:

feministcampus.org/
pp houston
Women's Health & family Planning of Texas
TARAL

So again, get in touch with local folks. Check feminist bookshops (if those exist in texas), get in touch with people. I am sure you'll quickly find a group and action you can join in.

Like I said, no matter where you are, you can get active for choice.

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 11-27-2002).]

sunnyside
Neophyte
Member # 10702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnyside     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a bunch for the links and info! my mom works at planned parenthood, so it shouldn't be too hard to contact them .
Posts: 18 | From: texas. boy howdy. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

quote:
Originally posted by sunnyside:
my mom works at planned parenthood, so it shouldn't be too hard to contact them .

Whee! Contact your local Planned Parenthood Contact at the family dinner table!
That PP trip to Austin could turn into a family excursion for you maybe. He.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Alocv
Neophyte
Member # 10605

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alocv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be grim, by I'd like to say something depressing for you folks.

Bush is in many "moral" organizations.
Bush hates abortion.
An "accident" tiped the scale in congress.
Bush controls the majority.
Bush controls Washington.
Bush will get whatever Bush wants, now.

It's over before it begins. He's revoting on every single issue that got turned down when he didn't have the deathgrip, and he'll get them voted every time. About the only way we might not have him wreck the US is if he pisses off enough countries they band togethor and kick him out of office with tanks and bombers, and I don't want that to happen.

Sorry I'm abit morbid, but I'm seeing the US being the villian the world makes us out to be in 6 years.

Posts: 8 | From: Moravia, New York | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alocv: This is not to say I disagree with many of your points, but they may go over better if you preface them with something like "My opinion is that..."

Now. On to your main point. There are teenagers everywhere having risky sex and drinking and driving and all kinds of other crappy things. It's happening, and we can't reach them all. But the people here at Scarleteen keep plugging away and answering the same questions from scared and worried users. Why? Because although some of the world may be going to hell in a handbasket, it's what we can do individually. And yes, it makes some of us feel a little better about the state of the world, even if it *is* going to hell.

So. Yes, ultimately, things may turn out as you described. They may not. Either way, (and this is from an atheist) hope is a good thing to have, if only 'cause it keeps us from going nuts.

And on the off chance that protesting and writing my congressman and working at Scarleteen are of any consequence, I'm going to continue them. ;]

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Alocv, lots of people here have lots of differing political opinions. Demonizing an entire group of people (namely the Republican party) doesn't help solve the problems you see. Those people were voted in because more registered voters agreed with Bush's plans than the plans you advocate. When liberal politicians had control of the American government, yes, there were a lot of right-wing people who thought society was heading to hell in a handbasket. But the truth was, the lot of us didn't all spontaneously become gay, and women didn't all line up for their mandatory abortions. What i'm saying is:

1. Don't you think you sound a little bit hysterical?
2. Grassroots efforts. Rally your cause and hit the polls.

As for pro-choice activism, I'm all for it, and always have been. However, I'm not going to be anywhere near DC for the rally unless I decide to tour some universities around that time -- which is actually a pretty good idea

------------------
Correlation does not equal causation.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In short: Civil Rights Movement.

If you think the government now is bad in terms of abortion, take a little lookie at, oh, the south in the 50's.

People can mobilize and get things accomplished, and rights preserved (or established) even when the current culture or regime is very much not supportive. It just involves a lot more action and a lot less whining and moping.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.