Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » U.S. Army fires gay linguists

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: U.S. Army fires gay linguists
Grizabella
Activist
Member # 2014

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Grizabella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nine US army linguists, including six trained to speak Arabic, have been dismissed from the military because they are gay.

Upon reading this, I have to ask, where are the Army's priorities? "Gee, we see that you can speak Arabic, which could be very valuable in protecting our country against terrorism, but we think you're a sexual deviant so see ya later!" *grrrr....*

Maybe, though, there will be some good in this. Maybe it will make more people realize how bad it is to exclude people from the military based on their sexual orientation. They've just lost nine valuable people and done a great disservice to our country with their ridiculous policy.

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some links to what Grizabella's talking about:

------------------
"I'd rather be a fence post in Texas then the king of Tennessee!" -KKBQ

[This message has been edited by Daydreamer24 (edited 11-16-2002).]

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna play mini-devil's-advocate here.

If you read on, it says "the military has a don't-ask-don't-tell policy"
8 of these guy were fired because they told their superior they were gay, which violates the policy. Most anyone who violates a big policy is liable to face job action.
I work with the military, and a big thing is keeping your personal life out of your work (like most other places) and this didn't happen.

NOW this doesn't mean I agree with it. I do think they were wrongly terminated, and that policy needs to be reworked. BUT I can kinda see where it's coming from.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this raises an important question, for me, ultimately. As an outsider, I've always considered the miltary to be nothing more than work -- a job. Not a way of life, so therefore, your personal life and your professional life are very different things.

While I disagree with the don't-ask-don't-tell policy fundamentally because of the fact, as I understand it, that it can be "found" that you voilate the military's stance, and subsequently punished. Reall, though, I just don't understand why so many feel compelled to challange the system by coming out to a superior officer or another member of the military.

I guess that's because I've never been one to use my sexual orientation as a means to identify myself. Your sexual orientation and your work are, and should be, mutually exclusive.

------------------
Tim
Scarleteen Advocate

I am not Dr. Freud, nor is he on staff. The talking cure this ain't.

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grizabella
Activist
Member # 2014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grizabella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, sorry. I had a link, but I forgot to post it.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for the "don't ask don't tell" policy, why should people who are gay or bi have to hide their sexual orientation when people who are heterosexual do not? In violating that policy they only violated something that was unjust in the first place.

Clearly, this is a counter-productive move. If this war on terror is so imperative, a the politicians keep telling us, surely having people who can be a great deal of assistance in intelligence is more important than sexual orientation- something that shouldn't be a point of discrimination in the first place.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, i can't say i'm particularly happy about this ruling. you might say it pissed me off a *lot*

The GLBT Law club at Boalt Hall School or Law at my uni had a protest on these same lines. a group of very qualified law students and alumni interviewed with military recruiters and disclosed their homosexual orientation. the point was to prove that they would not be hired solely based on their orienation.

the only even remotely viable excuse to not allow gays in the military -- which is still disagree with -- doesn't even apply to the linguists. the excuse? in foxhole combat situations, the hetero soldiers might feel uncomfortable being in cramped quarters with a homosexual (bollocks, imho!).

now, honestly, how often are linguist, cryptographers and officers ever in foxholes???

------------------
If the shoe fits, it's probably your size.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scribbled
Neophyte
Member # 8849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scribbled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wedding rings, pictures of family, talk of weekend plans (mention of husband, wife), just things that come up in idle conversation give away a person's heterosexuality.
It really isn't fair. There is definitely a double-standard.

Posts: 17 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dude_who_writes:
As an outsider, I've always considered the miltary to be nothing more than work -- a job. Not a way of life...

And just as an aside, I think anyone who serves in the military would tend to disagree with that view. For Officers especially, it is nothing less than an entire way of life. Just thought I'd add that...

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three"

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not an issue of sexual orientation with the don't ask don't tewll policy. Same deal goes with a heterosexual linguist.

These guys weren't fired because mention of their boyfriend came up in casual conversation. They were either caught with the same sex (you'd be punished even if it was opposite sex) or they came out to their superiors.

I work with the military. Talk about my boyfriend is forbidden, because it's simply not professional. Why should someone who's gay "get away" with that? The whole issue should not have come up. Your personal life is your personal life. Your work is your work.

My officers don't ask about my weekend plans, I apply for leave, and I don't have to give a detailed reason for it. Why? Because my officers know it's none of their buisness. A don't as don't tell policy, and I'm heterosexual.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

BTW, the military IS a way of life. But you'll go nuts if you don't at least TRY and separate the two.
Alocv
Neophyte
Member # 10605

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alocv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someday, if I'm in a position, I'm firing a gay guy and refusing to hire a woman for specific jobs on the sole basis that a governmental instituion, the army, can do it, then harping the hell out of it to make a press frenzy.

Surprised no excentric types have done it already.

Posts: 8 | From: Moravia, New York | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.