Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Too Old to Have Children?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Too Old to Have Children?
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[url=http://rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/fc/health/fertility_and_pregnancy/latest_developments/story/*http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=541&ncid=541&e=1&u=/ap/20021112/ap_ on_he_me/menopause_babies_2]Study supports post-menopausal pregnancy[/url]

We've tackled the "too young to have children" issue may times here, but here's a new one: is there such thing as being too old to bear and raise children?

Thanks to assisted reproductive technologies like in vitro fertilization, post-menopausal women are able to bear children. In 1994, a 63-year old Italian woman gave birth to a healthy infant. Since then, more and more women over 50 have given birth to children via IVF using eggs from young donors (over time, ova are more prone to genetic defects and many spontaneously abort).

So, the controversy is whether just because they could, does that mean they should? On one hand, this is an issue of a woman's right to choose. It is interfering with a person's right to determine how she wants to use her body. However, then you wind up with children whose parents are nearing the end of their lives while they (the children) are still young. Anyone who has lost a parent, esp. at a young age, can tell you how rough that is. So in this case, the issue is that the parents statistically might not live long enough to finish raising the children.

your thoughts, please.

------------------
If the shoe fits, it's probably your size.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me a lot of this discussion we had awhile back: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum8/HTML/000492.html

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.