Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Are we all that ignorant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are we all that ignorant?
TifaStrife
Neophyte
Member # 3741

Icon 5 posted      Profile for TifaStrife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My college just had an open forum on sex and sex techniques. We started out by having the girls and the guys make lists of things they wished the opposite sex knew about sex and things they liked.
The guys aded stupid things like, "Don't make us return the favor" or "sex feels better without condoms"
The girls said equally stupid things like, "Shave your balls" or "Size DOES matter"

I'd hate to think that our generation's that...well, stupid. Granted, I'm talking about college students, but do both girls and guys really have that many unrealistic expectations of each other? It makes me uneasy...

Posts: 37 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you bring your concerns up in the open forum? because I'd say they're certainly valid.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 11 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gah.

Well, I don't know. My friends have all been Scarleteenized by now, and we all talk frankly among ourselves about sex, so I haven't heard stuff like that since high school (maybe even junior high). One thing's for certain; if I had heard that, I would have spoken up. Did you? How revolting to hear "Sex feels better without condoms." Sex feels better when you're alive than when you're dead, condoms or no. :P

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that it's not so much ignorance per se as people posturing, trying to seem worldly-wise in front of their friends. And all it takes is for one person to come out with some stupid bragging stereotype, and the other sex will start retaliating.

For example, think all those girls really care so much about the size of a guy's penis? Frankly, I doubt it (and if they do, then all I can say is that they have a sadly limited idea of what sex is about).

But it's a way they can turn things round on the guys - "yeah, your worst fears are true, we're judging you, if your penis isn't 'big enough' no-one will ever love you or have sex with you". Unfortunately, it just perpetuates the vicious circle of anxiety and stereotyping.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MiSs_Behave
Activist
Member # 8605

Icon 8 posted      Profile for MiSs_Behave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grr. People can be so stupid. Lets hope their responses were sarcastic,

------------------
Follow your inner moonlight, don't hide the MaDdNeSs...

Posts: 56 | From: Land of Oz | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think logic is likely correct: the answers weren't so much sarcastic as they were indicative of how people can behave in that sort of setting when sex is being discussed if they feel vulnerable, scared, defensive or attacked.

It's a pity that most of the world can't handle talking about sex sincerely in that sort of group setting yet, but most of them cannot. I suspect you'd have seen different responses if it wasn't such a big group, if the group was divided into much smaller groups, or if the answers weren't shared in a different way.

But I also suspect that if even one person said something about how depressing those answers were, you'll see some different behaviour next time. So, I hope someone did. Being proactive is really important.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.