Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Sexually Active?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sexually Active?
Touchstone
Neophyte
Member # 3659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Touchstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum, couldn't figure out what it would go under.

At a recent summer camp visit, we had to fill out a form about ourselves. One of the questians was something like:

"Are you sexually active?"

I suspected this question ment in a 2 person relationship, so i checked "no", but was not sure. Does masturbation go under sexually active, in the context of forms and the like?

Posts: 36 | From: USA, NY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this would be a great topic for Sexual Ethics and Politics. Maybe someone could move it there, if you'd like?

-

I think that they meant with another person, because people seem to ignore or discount masturbation. But I personally think that if you're masturbating, you're sexually active.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that they meant with another person, because people seem to ignore or discount masturbation.

And if it's for medical purposes, then it would mean "with another person", since what they're trying to assess is your risk of STDs etc.

But I'm somewhat confused as to why a summer camp would need this info ...

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TXRebelGirl
Activist
Member # 9782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TXRebelGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand that either...I would be a little leary if someone other than my doctor was wanting me to answer that...I'm sure there's a reason but at this point I really can't think of what it would be...hmmm

------------------
"If Microsoft had things their way there would be no books, only comic strips..."

Posts: 61 | From: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 2 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, now that it's in this forum,

do you consider being 'sexually active' as including masturbation (sex with yourself)? why, or why not?

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. Part of me wants to say yes (for reasons stated above), but another part of me wants to say no: if masturbation makes someone sexually active, then there's virtually no distinction to be made, since almost everyone is sexually active, since almost everyone masturbates.

------------------
"I can tell by the way you take your infusion, you've spent some time in a mental institution"
-Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire, Etch-a-sketch

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, i think if you masturbate, you're sexual, yes. But for health purposes (i.e., reporting to your doctor), I don't think you should have to report yourself as sexually active because you aren't at risk for contracting/transmitting STDs.

please point out any counterexamples.

and why does the summer camp need to know???

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maharet
Activist
Member # 3806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maharet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, interesting topic. I had to sit down and think this through for a little while!

I would call masturbation a sexual activity, and sex with another person being sexually active... then again, if you're not "sexually active" regularly it doesn't sound right...
Arrrgg (Goes off to think some more!)

------------------
"If you don't like gays, then they're everywhere, coming out of the woodwork to corrupt little children... but if you are gay, especially if you're in high school, you're the only one in the universe..."

Posts: 66 | From: Perth, Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confused333
Activist
Member # 6450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confused333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that you are being sexual with yourself but your not sexually active. Hmmm does that make any sense?

------------------
Why does a rose represent love, when a rose always dies??

Friends are like condoms, they help out when things get hard.

Posts: 473 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm making an anonomous survey for school that is a "sexual education assessment survey." do you think that people will be weary about answering the question ~

which of the following have you been involved in (check all that apply):
_ Dry Sex ("dry humping," "frottage")
_ Manual Sex ("fingering," "mutual masturbation," "handjob")
_ Oral Sex ("blow jobs," "going down on someone")
_ Penis In Vagina Intercourse with One Partner
_ Penis In Vagina Intercourse with More than One Partner
_ Penis In Anus Intercourse

I am weary about whether students will answer this quewstion of the survey... even if it IS anonmous... would you? other students shouldnt be able to see the survey because it is submitted into a box at a different time than when the student recieves the survey... so they have time to answer it without any one seeing what they wrote.

the reason that I am asking this question is because we want the information for statistical reasons about what we should be teaching them in health class, and to point out how its too late to wait for teaching about contraception and how to use it correctly, etc. i will use national wide and statewide statistics, but the problem is that teachers and parents feel that since my school is for students who are above average that we are not secually active.

in fact the majority of my grade is sexually active... and my grade seems to pull in the other grades... the problem with that is that they arent all practicing safe sex!!!!!! =( grrr...

------------------
dont worrie b happie... its like a law! =)

hunt for clothes NOT for animals. =)

Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confused333
Activist
Member # 6450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confused333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it was anonomous, then yes I would fill out that survey.

There is really nothing you can do about people not practicing safe sex, but you can be sure you do!

------------------
Why does a rose represent love, when a rose always dies??

Friends are like condoms, they help out when things get hard.

Posts: 473 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 4 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie4eva:
i'm making an anonomous survey for school that is a "sexual education assessment survey..."

Yikes! Have you cleared this with your school's administration? They tend to be rather conservative in the kinds of things they'll allow to go on, and surveys that include rather graphic sexual content might be something that would set them off. Asking someone whether they are sexually active or not may even be pushing it, as far as liability is concerned. Parents tend to get riled up about such things, and that flows downhill to the administrative staff fairly quickly. So I'd be sure to check with them first, just to make sure you don't wind up with a week's worth of detention!

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BruinDan's :

Yikes! Have you cleared this with your school's administration? They tend to be rather conservative in the kinds of things they'll allow to go on, and surveys that include rather graphic sexual content might be something that would set them off. Asking someone whether they are sexually active or not may even be pushing it, as far as liability is concerned. Parents tend to get riled up about such things, and that flows downhill to the administrative staff fairly quickly. So I'd be sure to check with them first, just to make sure you don't wind up with a week's worth of detention!

lol dont worrie dont worrie! i'm making it by monday, so that the principal can look over it and see what he thinks. i proposed the idea to my student activities coordinator... and HE was actually the one who asked if i could add that question in. i'm unsure about it, but he wants to know what the students are actually doing because he was totally in the dark about it... and i believe a lot of the parents and other teachers are as well.

i'm doing this "making the survey" idea by the books... so dont worrie. i'm getting all the permission that i'm sposed to from the right people. i hope that my principal goes for it... but... hes new... =\ so the 2nd wk of school... new principal... sexual education assessment survey... all that may not come out exactly as i am hoping. lol

we'll see, and i'll let you know all about it.

not so smart me offered to make up the survey by monday... and that means i need all the background information as well. i'm swamped with 20343432 different sites with different surveys. hopefully they'll all help! lol

but anyway, thanx for the warning anyway =) good to kno people are looking out for me.

------------------

Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
_ Penis In Vagina Intercourse with More than One Partner
. . .

Right now? Ever? You might want to make clear whether you're referring to multiple partners in the same general period of time, or over a life time. And, jsut FYI, there's an actual word for penis-in-vagina-intercourse, and that's 'coitus'.

------------------
I swear I go blind every time I'm by your side . . .

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

quote:
Originally posted by Milke:
Right now? Ever? You might want to make clear whether you're referring to multiple partners in the same general period of time, or over a life time. And, jsut FYI, there's an actual word for penis-in-vagina-intercourse, and that's 'coitus'.

ooo thanx for pointing that out! i didnt realize that it was unclear, but i fixed it on the survey. =) its more than one partner at one time.

i also added the choice:
__ mouth to anus ("rimming")

just in case anyone does. my mom mentioned that she's heard of that from a conference she went to (she's a nurse), and i totally forgot about that... so i added it. =)

anywat... argh... i finished the survey, but not all the background yet. i'm still not done with my search. my friend who is working with me on the project took home a lot of the information i printed out so she can read up on what we're doing. i hope she remembers the folder tomorrow!

i dont think i'm going to ask for a meeting with my acting pricipal, he's only temporary (i just found out)... or he may be only temporary. so i think that i'm going to ask my assistance principal who is in charge of health and physical education first. see what he says about the survey with the background information and such, than if its a positive response move onto the pricipal.

if its a negative response... that might be hard... becuase i dont want him to hate me or anything lol. anywat... gotta go to bed soon, so i must go to finsh my research. i hope i finish all of this by tomorrow...!

------------------

CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

i gave my student activites coordinator the survey today after school to look over and give me his opinions about the survey and such. he read it over, and told me to delete all of the coloquial (spelling...?) terms in the question that i posted here. so i'll have to do that.

he said that the surveys were fine, but that he wanted me to have a set goal. so my friend who is doing the project with me thought we should make a mission statement and goal. this is what is next on my agenda. i'm hoping to do that by next wk or so.

my student activities coodinator feels that i'm trying to rush things too much. he asked me what the rush was, "after all we have TEN monthes left." but i want to get the beginning of things started now, as soon as possible. that was it wont be as much work as it is now, after everything is set up. because if i wait until later i have to worry about midterms and finals, projects, and papers etc etc etc. and i want to make sure i have time for this project.

anywat... thats all so far. =) i hope this all works!

------------------

Touchstone
Neophyte
Member # 3659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Touchstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input

Maharet i like the way you put it.

quote:
I would call masturbation a sexual activity, and sex with another person being sexually active... then again, if you're not "sexually active" regularly it doesn't sound right...

though i agree, it would be wierd to be called sexually active if you ave sex with another, but not alot.

Posts: 36 | From: USA, NY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While, if someone simply asked "are you sexually active" I would assume they did not mean masturbation, if it was my job to ask the question I would ask "Are you sexually active with a partner?" just to ensure that there was no confusion.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

oops... sorrie i kinda realized i never even answered ur question... sorry Touchstone!

ur post just reminded me of that question... anyway... =)

although masterbation is a sexual activity, i think that people often assume that "sexual activity" is automatically sex... thats skipping over manual sex, oral sex, and masterbation. before i came to this site i would have considered the question to mean that as well.

i suppose people just realize that sex isnt just intercourse.

ya kno what would have been funny? if u wrote:

mayb... go check out scarleteen.com if you dont kno what i mean by mayb...

or if u added in "with a partner" and than checked no...

altho that might make them think you were a bit odd... i dont think your sposed to add things to surveys, but anywat...

yah... in short... i think they expected us to assume "sexually active" was intercourse with a partner (or partners)... sillie people...

------------------

MiSs_Behave
Activist
Member # 8605

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MiSs_Behave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yeah, I do think masturbation is being sexually active.. but with yourself. Being in a sexually active relationship with another person is an entirely new issue, but they're both being sexually active just in different ways, right?

------------------
Follow your inner moonlight, don't hide the MaDdNeSs...

Posts: 56 | From: Land of Oz | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mnsouthpawjr
Activist
Member # 9384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnsouthpawjr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does the general term of sexually active imply?

My personal opinion here is that masturbation by oneself is NOT being sexually active.

Why not?
*Yes masterbation is a sexual activity (so tp speak). However, I assume masterbation in itself done solo creates little chance of STI's.
*Since many people masterbate, more people would be classified as sexually active.
*People can start masterbating at a young age. Now, if we follow this logic, many people are at a young age.
*Masterbation is a PRIVATE matter and it often falls under a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell, and Don't Care" philosophy.

[This message has been edited by mnsouthpawjr (edited 10-13-2002).]

Posts: 73 | From: Louisville, KY USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Touchstone
Neophyte
Member # 3659

Good points, southpaw.

I think the idea of masturbation being a sexual activity, but not making one sexually active, is an interesting idea. Also, it would make sense that nurses and such are asking if you are sexual active to determine the possibility of transmiting STIs, and i would think that you are right in that the odds of getting an STI from masturbation is slim to none.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.