Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » safer sex fairs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: safer sex fairs
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm pretty sure this is a good place to post this question:

i've heard a number of times about safer sex fairs and things of that nature. i was wondering where i would go about finding out where they are being held in my city.

i searched around, but i couldnt find anything that informed me about when and whre they are. i know several posters here have gone to them... so how do you find out where they are?

thanx for your help. =)

------------------
dont worrie b happie... its like a law! =)

hunt for clothes NOT for animals. =)

Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
look up local sexuality advocate groups in your area or LBGT groups. they tend to host these events. Or your local college campus (though the religious schools are far less inclined to have thene events) might have a safer sex event where they distribute health information or supplies.

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ooo ok thanx, i looked around... but i didnt see any in my area... not to mention, i dont go to college yet... so i cant really look there lol.

my high school doesnt promote doing anythings such as safer sex education fairs and such, and i know that if i said anything the idea would get turned down. the student activities coordination is not big on any such idea...

i was wondering because i was hoping to volunteer for one, i really want to help out with this type of thing. i have many friends who arent all too safe, and dont really listen to me when i tell them about being safe. so i thought if i could find out about these fairs, and volunteer i could invite them to one to prove i know about stuff... even if i do any of it.

thanx for your help though, i'll keep looking. =) argh... and you'd think you'd find tons of info about these things in NYC... well... mayb i'm just not looking in the right search engines... ehh? =\

------------------
dont worrie b happie... its like a law! =)

hunt for clothes NOT for animals. =)

Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unnamed
Neophyte
Member # 8659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unnamed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and you'd think you'd find tons of info about these things in NYC... well... mayb i'm just not looking in the right search engines... ehh? =\

Oh, you're from NYC? Well, then I can be of help. I used to volunteer (and might volunteer again) at the NYCLU (New York Civil Liberties Union) and they have a peer education program that sounds similar to what you're describing. It's where high school students go to different places in the city and give talks to other students about safe sex. I wasn't in it, so I don't know any details, but their website is www.nyclu.org, so you can email them or find their phone number there.

[This message has been edited by Unnamed (edited 09-06-2002).]

Posts: 8 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

thanx! i'll check it out tomorrow (its 3:55AM at the moment lol).

i'm going to do a service project with promoting safer sex. i want to hand out a survey to parents and students asking what they feel should be taught in a health class... than make sure that those major points are taught in health. i'm considering trying to get my school to have the health classes have a demonstration on how to use condoms properly (but i dunno if they'll go for it)...

we have a new principal, and i'm not usre how he'll take all of this. my student activities coordinator said that if i can make up the survey by monday he can promise me a meeting with principal. i need to put together a packet of information about why i'm doing this and stats, etc.

ooo i'm so excited, but worried... i have a bit of trouble talking about the topic without figiting, something i need to work on...

i'm also going to get involved with the HIV Prevention Day presentation and the AIDS Prevention Day activities. sooo many things, and not so much time to figure all of this out.

my teacher wanted me to add the question of what students are doing, but i dont really think that is proper... i mean i understand he wants to kno what is going on with teenagers today, and since the surveys are anonomous than there shouldnt be too much of a problem.

i dont think that students will seriously say things that they are doing... but mayb i will see... argh i'm so worried that i wont finish all of this by monday. if you have any ideas on helpful questions to ask please let me know!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.