Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Nigerian mother faces stoning...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nigerian mother faces stoning...
Grizabella
Activist
Member # 2014

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Grizabella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...for having a child outside marriage.

quote:

An Islamic court in northern Nigeria ruled Monday that a woman must face death by stoning according to Muslim law for having a child outside marriage.

She appealed the sentence, and lost.
Yahoo story [http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020819/wl_nm/religion_nigeria_dc_2]here[/ URL]

This makes me so angry. I can't imagine how scared she must be right now, both for herself and the future of her baby.

[This message has been edited by Grizabella (edited 08-20-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Grizabella (edited 08-21-2002).]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HockeyGrl
Neophyte
Member # 9401

Icon 11 posted      Profile for HockeyGrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my gosh!!!

I did a final assignment in school on the topic of Muslim women`s rights in the middle east, and the horrifying things those women go through is terrible.

There is a site that is devoted to ending this kind of terror...go to google.com and type in R.A.W.A.

There are some disturbing things there but the whole idea of the site is good...I can`t imagine someone being put to death for that...complete terror she must be in!

Posts: 34 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i read the same article, and i have thoughts on it. but they're so hard to articulate through the sheer curtain of intense anger and disgust.

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kajego
Neophyte
Member # 9446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kajego     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one really has a right to judge any religion, or what is done because of it, but as for my opinion...wrong, sick, and terrifying. The poor woman and child...
Posts: 14 | From: Bordentown, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but that's the thing. when does moral relativism fall short? when does it actually become valid to start criticizing a religion's faults as actual faults?

I think it is fair to say that there is something wrong with the wahhibi school of islam. for those of you who aren't aware, there are varying groups and sects of islam, and wahhibi is a very strict sect that abides by the sharia or islamic law.

So what is wrong with wahhibi? well, i'd have to say their policy of sentencing a woman to death by stoning for bearing a child out of wedlock is objectionable. They also sentenced another woman to death before her, but she argued that she was raped and her sentence was appealed. The taliban were another group of wahhibi followers, and we are pretty aware of what they did to the women of afghanistan.

The Nigerian government does not uphold, endorse, or suppport sharia law. They do not agree with these women's trials and sentencings. But my question is, then why can they not do more to protect them, if after all, the villages are not being run in accordance to Nigerian federal law.

------------------

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KandyKorn17
Activist
Member # 9729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KandyKorn17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so why did she confess?
Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She "confessed" by giving birth to a child more than 9 months following a divorce from her husband.

------------------

KandyKorn17
Activist
Member # 9729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KandyKorn17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh
Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From memory, I believe there is a political divide in Nigeria between the hard-line Muslims and Christians. Islam maintains a stronger cultural position in villages while the centres of power are relatively more liberal. Attempting to exert control over the strict muslims will lead to civil unrest and possibly even civil war.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KandyKorn17
Activist
Member # 9729

America would do it
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
America would do what?

------------------
I swear I go blind every time I'm by your side . . .

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a couple notes here.

When engaging in this sort of discussion, it's really best to be in a frame of mind FOR discussion. What I mean by that is that short one-liners or a post of "oh," doesn't contribute anything and is very easily misunderstood in a serious thread as flippancy.

So, being clear and taking the time to explain your points and feelings is pretty key.

Lastly, just a reminder to keep things civil.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witch_baby
Neophyte
Member # 9911

Icon 8 posted      Profile for witch_baby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree.. that's just sick that parts of the workd are still like that. I don't mean to advertise, but the people in this board may be interested in this website for a great feminist/activist zine:
http://www.bust.com

check out the Broadcast area especially.

------------------
Once upon an time...?
What time are we upon and where do I belong?

Posts: 21 | From: Longmont, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I agree with the sentiment I feel it is also necessary to see a bigger picture behind the societies in this part of the world. It is not enough to tackle them on one issue like this but instead we must gain a deep understanding of the problems they suffer and only then to come up with the solutions. Nigeria suffers from some issues that some might regard as more pressing than this, such as endemic corruption and an untethered military.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark_Wolf
Neophyte
Member # 10024

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Dark_Wolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read about this and I have gone onto the website for her and signed a partician...You caould all try.
Posts: 37 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wall Street Journal Op/Ed about the case http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110002347

------------------
"Things are only fragile till they break."

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.