Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Maternity leave

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Maternity leave
Maharet
Activist
Member # 3806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maharet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing an assignment at uni (a debate/speech) On maternity leave, specifically paid leave. In WA, Australia. The laws used to stand that a pregnant woman could take one year off without pay.
New reforms have meant that 14 paid weeks are available to some ppl, for parental leave, (ie either male or female).

In the Netherlands, they have a system for ppl who want to go backpacking for a year. You take a year off work, and unemployed person takes your position for that year, they get your wage/salary and you get their dole payments. Or, you leave your position, the person below you fills it, and the unemployed person takes their spot As far as I can see, this benifits everyone.
what do ppl think?

------------------
"If you don't like gays, then they're everywhere, coming out of the woodwork to corrupt little children... but if you are gay, especially if you're in high school, you're the only one in the universe..."

Posts: 66 | From: Perth, Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dissolvedgirl
Neophyte
Member # 9466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dissolvedgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's all pretty good. But for the maternity leave, I think they should get paid depending if they're 1)good and 2)want to come back to work. If I was pregnant and given either option, I'd take the 14 week thing. Because I need the money hehe.

------------------
"I dreamt of a man, he fed me fine foods, he gave me shiny things."

Posts: 9 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I'm a little confused as to what you're asking here. Do you want to know if we think the programs are good? What should be inproved? What are programs like where we live? Could you ellaborate a little on what you're looking for?

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maharet
Activist
Member # 3806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maharet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Opps, thanks Daisy

Mostly I'm interested in whether ppl think doing a maternity leave scheme similar to the Netherland's backpackers scheme is a good idea.

Im also curious about the maternity leave (paid or not) in ur area/country whatever.

Cheers

------------------
"If you don't like gays, then they're everywhere, coming out of the woodwork to corrupt little children... but if you are gay, especially if you're in high school, you're the only one in the universe..."

Posts: 66 | From: Perth, Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maharet,

I'm originally from Maryland (USA) and I have no idea what kind of maternity leave scheme operated in my area. However, you could check out these links:

http://www2.vhihealthe.com/topic/maternity http://www.ivillage.com/topics/family/0,10707,166339,00.html

I have recently moved to Australia, and in Queensland's "Courier-Mail" on Saturday, there was a large feature on maternity leave. Perhaps if you go to their website (accessed through this site) you may be able to find the article.

Good luck with your assignment!

Rose-Zanney

[This message has been edited by Zanney (edited 08-11-2002).]

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cherokee1696
Activist
Member # 8298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cherokee1696     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Alabama, US, six weeks is mandatory. You are required to take at least 6 weeks off of school and work after giving birth. I am a waitress at the Waffle House (a chain of 24 hour diners) and we are given 6 weeks paid maternity leave, but if we can take as much time as we want, unpaid. I will probably only take the 6 weeks, because, as dissolvedgirl said, I need the money. My father's company, however, will give up to 6 months paid maternity leave, plus any vacation time you have built up.

Posts: 59 | From: Alabama | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.