Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » what I am trying to discover

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what I am trying to discover
Layla
Neophyte
Member # 9179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Layla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In response to Logic Grrl's question I am about to start my third and final year of psychology before I go into medical training after which I plan to become a psychiatrist (hopefully).
I became interested in the subject of and the feelings behind sex after being in a sexually abusive relationship left me a bit scarred .
For my dissertation I hope to find out whether sex has become more casual over the years for both males and females, and then try to find why. My hypothesis is that sex had become more casual as, whereas sex and love used to be linked together relative to today's society where I feel that the act of sex and the feelings of love are not as associated. I hope that makes sense
XXX

Posts: 6 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be a good idea for your dissertation to define your terms a bit more.

For example, what do you mean by "casual"? I know some people who've had one-night stands or short-term relationships or non-monogamous relationships in which they've been very responsible and caring about the well-being of their partner. Is that "casual sex"? Some people might say it is, some people might say it isn't. And I know people in long-term monogamous relationships who have unsafe or thoughtless sex. Is that "casual"?

And there are at least two possible ways of interpreting the idea of sex and love being "associated". Are you talking about saying that they're the same thing, or about having the moral belief that they ought to go together?

I'm not trying to put you off, but I'm sure you've been told umpteen times on your psychology course that you need to define your terms for any study and be clear on what you mean by them, especially when they're potentially ambiguous ones like these. If people answering the questions interpret them in a different way from you, then you're not going to get answers to the questions you actually meant to ask.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i dunno really what you are saying, but lemme know if i got this right... ur trying to find out if love and sex are still connected in todays world...right?

well... i think it varies with the person... you cant say that it totally is connected or totally isnt... and i dont really think you can say how it is for the majority of people either.

sure i know a handfull of people who are promiscuous, but there is also my other hand that is full of people who decide that sex is ONLY for the one they love.

there are soooo many types of people... who have sex (or dont have sex) for all different types of reasons... those who are sheltered from everything, those who are full of morals and virtues, those religious, those searching for love, those who just want to have fun, those who didnt have a choice in the matter, etc etc etc.

and what about those who think they are in love, no questions asked... they may not really be... but they truly believe they are... or those who think that love comes with sex... so they connect love and sex, but in the wrong way...

some people who attach very easily to others believe they are in love in a week, even a day... what is your definition of love? and what if it differs from theirs?

there are so many different ideas of love... love of a friend... so you can have sex with friends... that is still linking love with sex...

etc etc etc... i think its an interesting idea to do a paper on... but there are so many definitions of love, and so many people in the world... so many different types of people... i dont know how you would be able to write it up without making a LOT of assumptions...

good luck tho!

Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think your thinking is pretty on target. (haha that sounded funny lol)

I think the main reason teens are having sex for the wrong reasons is a self esteem issue. Many girls have sex too early to satisfy their boyfriend because they don't have enough self-esteem to think that a guy should like them whether they have sex or not. Then they start associating sex with approval. To get a guy's approval a girl will perform oral sex or even intercourse with guys they barely know, just to feel like they are worth something.

So really, sex is still associated with love; but many teen girls assume that you have to have sex to have love...hmmm...

Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confused333
Activist
Member # 6450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confused333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by morganlh85:
but many teen girls assume that you have to have sex to have love...hmmm...

I don't think that that is true at all. I know plenty of teen girls who have boyfriends and who love them, but don't have sex with them or even think that.

------------------
Why does a rose represent love, when a rose always dies??

Friends are like condoms, they help out when things get hard.

Posts: 473 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CupcakePrincess
Neophyte
Member # 9267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CupcakePrincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I don't think that that is true at all. I know plenty of teen girls who have boyfriends and who love them, but don't have sex with them or even think that.

She Only said many girls. I think Its the Girls Who Are more Concerned about how they look. Or the Ones with low Self-esteem

------------------
When You think your life Is Horrible, ask Me about Mine... It will change your Mind.

~*~*Jen*~*~

Posts: 27 | From: crystal Lake Il US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confused333
Activist
Member # 6450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confused333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found that offensive. And maybe a few girls think like that, but to say many just offeneded me.

------------------
Why does a rose represent love, when a rose always dies??

Friends are like condoms, they help out when things get hard.

Posts: 473 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is really becoming laden with generalizations. Let's keep the guidelines in mind at all times please. Also, here are some great tips on board etiquette.

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 08-07-2002).]

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Layla
Neophyte
Member # 9179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Layla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way I would define casual sex is 'sexual intercourse with a person without particularly wanting to continue a relationship with that person'. It is a tough one to define so what would your definitions be?
Posts: 6 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The way I would define casual sex is 'sexual intercourse with a person without particularly wanting to continue a relationship with that person'.

I have a couple of questions about this definition:

Are you only asking about sexual intercourse? (What about oral sex, manual sex and so forth?)

And where would "friends who have sex" fit in? You can have sex with someone and and be very committed to continuing the friendship, but not necessarily the sexual relationship. Is that "casual sex" or not?

As you say, it's a tough one to define. But that's why it's helpful to define your terms first.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.