Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Homophobic books, anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Homophobic books, anyone?
Shenzie2007
Activist
Member # 9027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shenzie2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other day at the library, I noticed a book on the shelf with the books on mental illnesses, titled, 'Homosexuality: a Liberty Too Far.' It treated homosexuals like they had something wrong with them, and the person who wrote it claimed that many homosexuals had been 'healed' at his clinic. This book was alone, although the library had a couple (say three or four) more books on being gay, I don't know what these books were on the homophobic-factor.
This was an opportunity to use the quote of Groucho Marx, "From the moment I picked it [the book] up to the moment I put it down, I was in fits of laughter. Someday I intend reading it."
Has anyone else found books like this? Did you read them? What are your thoughts?

------------------
When authorities warn you of the sinfulness of sex, there is an important lesson to be learned. Do not have sex with the authorities. -Matt Groening, Life In Hell

"Pope John Paul today confirmed his opposition to gay marriages. Said that they are unnatiral. Gay marriages are unnatural. Then he put on a pointy hat, his dress, and returned to never having sex at all." -- Bill Maher, Politically Incorrect

Posts: 73 | From: dallas, texas, usa | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelicmadrigal
Activist
Member # 8854

Icon 2 posted      Profile for angelicmadrigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mind telling me when this book was published? If it was in the last 40 years I'm going to be appaled.

YOu see years ago homosexuality WAS considered a mental illness even in psycology books (that has only been recently removed). The fact that you found a book like this in the library wasn't surprising.

Posts: 100 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistress_monkey
Activist
Member # 7467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mistress_monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i like your quote

from kindergarten to 8th grade, i went to a private, catholic school, so almost everyday i was blasted with some sort of homophobic propoganda. but i was always considered the heretic of the class, so no one really listened to me 'cept my friends.

one time, our priest came in to teach religion class. he had us read a section in the text book on the sin of homosexuality, then asked us if we had any questions. so i raised my hand and this was the conversation that ensued.
"so...god's against love, then?"
"of course not. but homosexuals don't love, they lust."
"so you know a lot of homosexuals personally."
"no."
"so you can't really say they're "lustfull" persay."
"well, no...but it says in the bible [story of sinful men wanting to have sex with angels]. so it's a sin."
"yeah, but the bible also says that angels are asexual. so they weren't being homosexual, just rapists."
"dear, its not polite to question your elders. any other questions?"

they like to pound discrimination in 'em young, where i come from.

------------------
Hail Eris! KaAAIXTI! All hail Discordia! 23 Skidoo!

"If you're going to be a non-conformist, you're going to have to wear the uniform."

Posts: 158 | From: grrrrr, nowhere, usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maharet
Activist
Member # 3806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maharet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This only relates to Australia really, I think, but anyway .

I think it's called "Homosexuals: Blatant and Proud" I can't remember who it's by, but it's a bit of a shame b/c the book basically goes through a timeline of Australian states describing the changes of laws for G&L ppl. (Published before the changes in 1989 in Western Australia) This would have been an excellent little resource I would have gotten so I could celebrate how far we've come here, but it's full of fundamentalist Christian rhetoric, which makes it depressing lol.

------------------
"If you don't like gays, then they're everywhere, coming out of the woodwork to corrupt little children... but if you are gay, especially if you're in high school, you're the only one in the universe..."

Posts: 66 | From: Perth, Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PixieDust
Activist
Member # 4003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PixieDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So...yeah...I just saw that True Life "I'm coming out" that was aired on MTV...I caught the repeat of it last night, but one of the stories was about a Mormon guy who was gay...and he went to BYU for "treatment" and was put in shock therapy...or they used a big word to make it sound not as bad. Really interesting...especially since they say they don't do that anymore...This guy has scars from it.
Posts: 86 | From: Las Vegas, NV, United States | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unnamed
Neophyte
Member # 8659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unnamed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just in books, there are websites that say they "help those struggling to come out of homosexuality." I think it involves a lot of prayer and self-denial. One of the people that was in a high position in this "ex-gay" movement, John Paulk, was found in a gay bar. He said he just wanted to use the bathroom.

I can't figure out how to make the links colored, but there are some links in my message!

[This message has been edited by Unnamed (edited 08-04-2002).]

Posts: 8 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shenzie2007
Activist
Member # 9027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shenzie2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, gawd... I'd forgotten about sites like those. They make my blood boil, and not in a good way.
Posts: 73 | From: dallas, texas, usa | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(just a note, unnamed: the links stay coloured until they're visited. your links are black because you've visited them. I haven't, and they look coloured to me.)

------------------
"Impress yourself!"
-Braid, Milwaukee Sky Rocket

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.