Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Virgin, or not?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Virgin, or not?
chocolateluva
Neophyte
Member # 8976

Icon 4 posted      Profile for chocolateluva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm aight this may be a lil touch y subject. first imma ask the quesitons, then imma put down my opinion

the quesiton is if someone is raped, most likely a femal but can be a male as well, and they were a virgin, did they lose their virignity? when yu make your answer, try to say what you think being a virign is so we ca see your view point better.

my facts
the definition of virgin from dictionary
girl or woman(and in recent use, man) who has not experience sexual union.

the hymen is usally broken by vaginal sex the first time(not always the case)

aight my opinion is that viringity is something you give up, like a gift to someone at marriage or your bf/gf whatever.
virginity is lost when yu have with the person you willingly give thta gift to, key word willingly.
being raped doesnt take away yur viginity even though physical yu have had sexual union with someone. viriginity is more than just physical to me, its emotional, so when someone is raped i gues they lose the phsyical part but not the other part. kinda hard to explain... but thats my opinion. any others?

i hope this the right board

------------------
Stuff Happens
Get Over It

The Chocolate Man

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! In the future please use the search function. We've had quite a few similar topics.
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/000945.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/000298.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/000447.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/000663.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/001008.html

There you go! Virginity is a touchy subject here because it can mean a different thing to every single person. I think you've got more then enough to see what i mean right here.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chocolateluva
Neophyte
Member # 8976

Icon 12 posted      Profile for chocolateluva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aight i c what yu mean and yep its touchy

------------------
Stuff Happens
Get Over It

The Chocolate Man

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Choc, could you please post with more care to spelling?
Many users here -some of whom aren't native english speakers- just can not or do not want to read net slang.

Thanks.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 07-22-2002).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OoMEoO
Activist
Member # 6026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OoMEoO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If someone is raped, most likely a female but can be a male as well, and they were a virgin, did they lose their virignity?

To me, losing your virginity is when your hymen breaks when you are having sex for the first time...its exactly that. And just that. But for some people, losing your virginity is having sex for the first time with someone you trust/love/care about etc. etc. So, in my opinion, if it was a raped girl, she would no longer be a virgin. But it could be different for other people. Everyone has their own views .

Posts: 118 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
To me, losing your virginity is when your hymen breaks when you are having sex for the first time...its exactly that.

Well, guys don't have hymens. Does that mean they aren't ever virgins? Some girls are born without hymens, or lose them through exercise or tampon use. And of course plenty of forms of sex do nothing to affect the hymen.

Obviously, as you say, everyone has their own views. But those are a few reasons why the "hymen=virginity" thing doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to many people.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, you are not a virgin if you have had intercourse. In the case of rape, you would still have lost your virginity, but since it wasn't something you did purposely or of your own will, it isn't the same thing. It's not like the girl was going around sleeping with people - you can still be a good person while not being a virgin. Losing your virginity because of rape doesn't mean you've done anything wrong or immoral or sinful, because there wasn't anything you could have done to control it.

If you want to give the gift of your virginity to someone, I think you still have that even if you are raped; just because you had a gift for a friend and someone stole it out of your hands doesn't mean you didn't intend to give that gift out of love in the first place (did that make sense?) In other words, I think that rape victims may not be physically virginal any longer, but the emotional essence of their virginity, in a religious/moral aspect, is still there.

[This message has been edited by morganlh85 (edited 08-06-2002).]

Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's not like the girl was going around sleeping with people - you can still be a good person while not being a virgin. Losing your virginity because of rape doesn't mean you've done anything wrong or immoral or sinful, because there wasn't anything you could have done to control it.

Hey now - I'm sure you don't mean to imply that people who have sex consensually are doing anything "wrong or immoral or sinful" either, do you? Or that you can't be a good person if you do "go around sleeping with people"?

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.