Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Gang rape in Pakistan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gang rape in Pakistan
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...this really sickened me. I'm sorry, but I don't see how it can be considered a practical punishment for the particular "crime" - any crime for that matter.

------------------
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. - Sir Winston Churchill

Luv,
Dahlia @ here or here

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think, in the West, this is a pretty mom-and-apple-pie-type of issue - that's to say, most people in North America and Europe are probably feeling the same way as you, Summer.

This reminds me of the case that we looked at on the boards over a year ago in which a girl in Nigeria was sentenced to 180 lashes for having been raped. As far as I'm concerned, there's no possible way to justify either of these things, or the many other similar cases that likely occur every day. I think that certain parts of the world are lacking in humanity, frankly.

------------------
"I'd like to be an astronaut, but if I can't be an astronaut, I'd like to be a coach driver."
-Neil, 7 Up

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelicmadrigal
Activist
Member # 8854

Icon 2 posted      Profile for angelicmadrigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the point of view of an International Studies Major I'm going to give you BOTH my professional AND personal oppinon.

First, my professional oppinion. Because Pakistan allows individual tribes the ability to deliver tribal punishments when tribe rules are broken they have allowed such acts to occur. Because they allow such acts, because the police can't intervene in tribal affair there is nothing anyone can really do about it. Perhaps one should begin by trying to understand the REASONING behind raping a one girl for her brother's mistake. In this particular tribe it would seem it was done as a way to exert social control, to show the entire village that the breaking of tribal laws will not be tolerated in any case. This is most likely out of fear, that many of the tribes young people are not respecting the tribe's traditions and the tribal leaders are afraid. Because of their fear they make severe, and what may seem to others as cruel punishments.

Is this morally wrong? Depends who you ask.

Now my PERSONAL oppinion. I really don't think anyone has any right to sentance another human being to be raped, period. It would seem to me that if the government of Pakistan was TRULY sorry for what happened it would be reconsidering it's "tribal law" policy.

Posts: 100 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey angelic, i'm an IS major too! pretty cool.

i think you're right. this does bring up an interesting question about sovereignty, particularly about the balance states (ie pakistan) need to maintain between semi-sovereign groups like the tribes and international human rights conventions.

when does a state need to draw the line? should states be permitted to allow human rights abuses like this (or female genital mutilation, or myriad other cases) in the name of sovereignty?

clearly, from our viewpoint, this should never have been a question at all - this sentence should never have been handed down, and it certainly not be upheld by the pakistani government. but if you're the pakistani government, there are other concerns. who gets to decide?

i think the question of who/which institution should govern human rights abuses has great relevance in the arena of international women's rights and sexual politics.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.