Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Woman has 20-year old mentally disabled son castrated

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Woman has 20-year old mentally disabled son castrated
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The paper where this story ran has ridiculously long URLs on its website, so if you want to look at the whole article, you need to copy the URL from below, and paste it into your browser. If you're too lazy for that, though, I'll give you something of a rundown.
http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/GIS.Servlets.HTMLTemplate?tf=tgam/common/FullStory.html&cf=tgam/common/FullStory.cfg&configFileLoc=tgam/config&vg=BigAdVariableGenerator&da te=20020528&dateOffset=&hub=national&title=national&cache_key=nationalĄt_row=2&start_row=2&num_rows=1

A woman from Canada's West Coast province of British Columbia had her mentally disabled son castrated when he was 20. This was in 1997. The woman, Sandra Crockett, says she doesn't regret it.

The operation, however, was performed without her son's consent. By court order, he's only known by his initials, A.R. The woman says that her son's disabilities are very severe. He can't read or write, or hold down a job. Moreover, she believes that he couldn't look after children, and if he were to have a child, and subsequently have it taken away from him, she says, it would be very traumatic for him.

She also says that the operation was meant to curb the extreme agression that he displayed at the time.

I think her actions are extreme. I wonder if she consulted anyone from the medical community before charging ahead with this. I wonder if she consulted numerous people from said community. I wonder if a vasectomy (far less invasive still somewhat bothersome to me) was considered.

Any reactions?

------------------
"...the airport's always almost empty this time of the year, so let's go play on a baggage carousel. Set our watches forward like we're just arriving here from a past we left in a place we knew too well."
-The Weakerthans

[This message has been edited by Dzuunmod (edited 05-28-2002).]

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is absolutely wrong, in my opinion. As you pointed out, a vasectomy would have served the same purpose. As for the man's aggression, surely there are medications for that, without having to resort to the extreme of castration.

[This message has been edited by Beppie (edited 05-28-2002).]

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kite
Activist
Member # 5957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an aside: http://tinyurl.com is a good place to go if you want to avoid those humongous URLs. This one reduces to:
http://tinyurl.com/87q

Cool, isn't it?

Posts: 127 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually asked some questions about this a while ago on another board...

There was a more in depth story is a Canadian mag I was reading.... Saturday nigth or something like that.

He has the mental capacity of a 4 year old. She did consult with umerous doctors, that's why she's not the only one named in the charges. She's the only one fighting it.
And he was becoming more and more violent by the day due to high testosterone levels.

S'about all I know.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that, Kite. That's pretty neat.

And cupcake, although I'm sure it's hard to deal with a developmentally disabled child, I'm equally sure that there are other ways of going about it than having him castrated. Maybe it's just that this is the first I'm hearing about it, though.

------------------
"...the airport's always almost empty this time of the year, so let's go play on a baggage carousel. Set our watches forward like we're just arriving here from a past we left in a place we knew too well."
-The Weakerthans

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me that if high levels of testosterone were to blame for behavioral probelems, a testosterone blocker should've been tried, at the very least. MtF transsexuals take testosterone blockers all the time as part of hormone therapy during reassignment, and it doesn't take much of a dose to drop the normal male levels of testosterone down to what would be a normal level for a female. It stands to reason, then, that it would be possible to at least reduce the abnormal levels.

And on top of that, I'd have to agree, it seems a very drastic step to make.

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

(edited because I can't read, evidently.)

[This message has been edited by kythryne (edited 05-29-2002).]

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm not saying it wasn't very drastic action to take!

I'm just filling in some of the facts taht weren't mentioned, s'all.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just me, but... it seems as though this mother enjoys a sense of full control over her son, and castration allows her even more so. Maybe that's just the vibe I'm getting.

------------------
Tim
Can You Read Further?

"Apparently, sex is supposed to be fun. Won't Mrs. Falwell be surprised?" -- TopFive

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.