Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Gay rights activist denied communion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gay rights activist denied communion
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Star Newspaper

"An Irish gay rights activist has been refused Holy Communion at Mass because of his sexuality.

Corkman Michael B. Kellly is the spokesman for the Rainbow Sash Movement in Australia.
The group is calling on the Catholic Church to embrace human sexuality "in all its diversity and beauty".

Mr. Kelly and a group of eight other gay and lesbian people were refused the Eucharist yesterday in St. Patricks' Cathedral in Melbourne by Archbishop Hart.

They were earing a Rainbow Sash to distiguish themselves from the rest of the congregation and to highlight their protest over the Church's anti-homosexual stance.

A seperate protest took place at St. Mary's Cathedral in Sydney where Archbishop George Pell told a group of 12 gays: "God created Adam and Eve, nit Adam and Steve"

Both groups were denied communion but received blessings from the bishop."

Comments?

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenohSetsuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, the hypocrisy of organized religion.

The funny thing about this case in particular is that the Catholic Church's official position on homosexuality is that while it's all right to be gay, it's not all right to engage in same-sex sexual activities. Not that the policy makes any sense, but it doesn't prohibit these people from taking Communion in the least. Rather, I'd say that this move was not the most clever, since the gay rights movement is historically fond of alternating between half-coping with and hating the Catholic Church.

------------------
I don't want eternity. But Arashii is mine.

"I never said I was a boy." - Tenoh Haruka, episode 92, Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon

Posts: 102 | From: SoCal | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually that strange distinction does make sense in a way. They say that homosexuals simply have a call to celibacy from what I have heard. They simply have a different calling.

tsk... organised religion...eh

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PixieDust
Activist
Member # 4003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PixieDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See, I am a Lutheran..part of the ELCA (NOT MISSOURI SYNOD!) and the only requirements to take part in communion is that you believe in Jesus as your savior. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with whether you can make a promise with God.

I love my church.

(just to let you guys know that not all religion is crap)

Posts: 86 | From: Las Vegas, NV, United States | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PixieDust:
See, I am a Lutheran..part of the ELCA (NOT MISSOURI SYNOD!)

I just had to chuckle at this. I'd know a lot of ECLA Lutherans (they get along well with us Episcopalians) and never even heard of Missouri Synod until I moved to Missouri, and boy, was that an eye-opener.

I think it's very sad that Michael Kelly can't receive communion in his church. The very fact that he's trying indicates that his religion must be very important to him.

I'm glad I live in a country with such a wide variety of denominations (and religious tolerance, for the most part) that almost anybody who choses to believe in a diety or dieties can find a form of worship that suits them.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpheliasMusing
Neophyte
Member # 8858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OpheliasMusing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ya know, i was reminded of a close friend of mine, gay & devoutly Catholic.

i think it's shameful what was denied to a parishoner who happened to practice an "alternative" lifestyle (in the eyes of the Catholic Church). however, i think on a more theological level, someone in that instance has to look at it this way:

if the instruments of God fail to deliver (in this case, a priest denying communion), then i think the real test comes in putting faith in God, and not his/her appointed leaders. maybe it's b/c i'm a Jew & we're into the whole "let's not talk through other ppl to God, we'll just do it ourselves." i think what makes Michael Kelly a devout Catholic, or any Catholic for that matter, is if he still puts his trust & faith in God to accept him as he was so created by God, despite what his priest may think.

Posts: 7 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelicmadrigal
Activist
Member # 8854

Icon 2 posted      Profile for angelicmadrigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Slayer_gurl:
Comments?[/B]

Actually I have few comments. For the record was baptized Roman Catholic and attended 12 years of Catholic school.

Yes, the Catholic church does have a teaching against homosexual acts, while homosexual desires are allowed. However, just like different people have different veiws on homosexuality different priests interpret this doctrine differently.

Some priests will refuse communion to homosexuals, while others won't even adress it.

Unfortunately, it sounds like this priest doesn't really understand the purpose of the catholic church, or the real mission it has.

And unfortunately hypocrisy, corruption, bigotry exists even with in an institution that claims to be above that, but there are a lot of organizations like that.

Sadly being left out of communion can be devastating to a devout Catholic, and if that catholic happens to be homosexual it only serves to further alienate him or her from the Church. Not a very brilliant idea on the preist's part if you ask me.

Posts: 100 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im catholic but in my parish there is a gay couple, which is amazing but they've been there forever and the recive communion all the time. one even reads the gossple and stuff all the time.

------------------
i love matt
my world

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelicmadrigal
Activist
Member # 8854

Icon 7 posted      Profile for angelicmadrigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ~jess~:
im catholic but in my parish there is a gay couple, which is amazing but they've been there forever and the recive communion all the time. one even reads the gossple and stuff all the time.

Well this couple sounds like a very lucky pair. How do the people in your parish react to them? I hope they treat them as any other couple, but I"m curious.

Kudos for them for being active in their faith.

How do they feel about the Churches stand on HOmosexual acts? again I'm just curious.

Posts: 100 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually i didnt really know they were gay but i did know. they are cool. i actually think gay people are cool. my ideas on gays, like i said they are cool but its not for me. when gay girls hit on my online i use my religon as an excuse. i dont think my parish even knows they are gay because usually only one goes but you can tell they are. ive known them since i was a baby.

------------------
i love matt
my world

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.