Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Stipper's daughter kicked out of Christian school

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stipper's daughter kicked out of Christian school
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is pretty sad.

In the California city of Sacramento, a Christian, private school has told a 24-year old single mother that her daughter can no longer attend the school. The reason? Mom's a stripper.

The child is just in kindergarten, and the mother claims she took the stripping job because it would allow her to make enough money to afford the school's tuition, and only work 3 days a week, giving her more time with her daughter.

Still, the school is private, so there ain't much anyone can do about it. They decided to kick her out after receiving tips that this woman was working as a stripper. Apparently some other parent in the school went on the Web site of the strip club in question to prove that this woman was working there. My question is, what led this woman to the information that a fellow parent was working in the club?

The school is affiliated with a church, and the mother has also been told that she can only attend the church once she has left her job.

------------------
She's a smooth operator/It's all so calculated/She's got a calculator/She's my soft touch typewriter
-Elvis Costello

[This message has been edited by Dzuunmod (edited 05-20-2002).]

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I don't agree with the school's reasoning behind making the girl stop attending, I still have to stand behind their constitutional right to choose who can and cannot attend their private institution.

That's not to say, however, that I don't have a problem with basing a student upon parental actions. God, if the opinions people form of us were based on our parents actions and lifestyles, I shudder to think what my life would be like.

------------------
Tim
Can You Read Further?

"Apparently, sex is supposed to be fun. Won't Mrs. Falwell be surprised?" -- TopFive

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Activist
Member # 3426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dude_who_writes:
While I don't agree with the school's reasoning behind making the girl stop attending, I still have to stand behind their constitutional right to choose who can and cannot attend their private institution.

I don't think the situation is so clear-cut. Privately owned stores and restaurants cannot legally deny service to black people, for example. Private landlords cannot deny housing to someone on the sole basis of race or religion (or a whole lot of other things, I think - I'm a scientist, not a lawyer.)

It might be argued (though I'm not sure how) that this situation is somehow different, but my point is that just because an institution is "private," doesn't mean they have the legal right to do whatever the hell they want.

Not to mention that this is a serious perversion of Christianity - even just excluding the mother from the church based on her occupation. I don't read the Bible much, but I thought Jesus spent a lot of his time among thieves and prostitutes and the like, saying, "The people who already lead righteous lives aren't the ones that need me."

Not that I think there's anything un-righteous about being a stripper, but these people seem to think so, and they're entitled to their opinion, I guess.

------------------
Question authority, but realize that authority is often right.

Posts: 107 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Religious institutions have an exemption from laws about discrimination in the U.S. That's why my Quaker school can make whatever rules it wants to make, even though most of the students are not Quakers. It's the same in Catholic schools here.

------------------
You were never no locomotive, Sunflower, you were a sunflower!
-Allen Ginsberg

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humph...well that story is no big shocker. That's exactly what they would have done in my Christian school, and in the church affiliated with it. Unfortunately they can turn away anyone they want to because they are a religious institution. It's always disturbed me to see so many Christians acting so very un-Christian.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KittenGoddess:
Unfortunately they can turn away anyone they want to because they are a religious institution.

Yep! That's sad that just because they are a privately run school they can kick out anyone they want for any reason they want.

quote:

It's always disturbed me to see so many Christians acting so very un-Christian.

Totally! As a Christian myself, I think the system is being totally hypcritical. Isn't it a duty of Christians to be nice to everyone and forgive them of their sins? It is also the duty of a Christian that just because of a person's background you shouldn't judge them.

I think it's pretty considerate of that mother to take a job I'm sure she didn't want just for her daughter to have a better education.

That school oughta think their decision over.

------------------
like a fish needs a bicycle

"I'm a Texas woman, which means I don't need the help of a man to keep things rolling." -The Rookie

[This message has been edited by Daydreamer24 (edited 05-20-2002).]

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniLoo
Activist
Member # 7058

Icon 7 posted      Profile for JenniLoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is downright sad that these "christian" people have decided to take it upon themselves to decide what is right and wrong. I don't agree with what the mother does for a living, but it is not my place to judge. Doesn't the Bible teach us to love everyone the same?

Quote:
by:Laura
---
"The people who already lead righteous lives aren't the ones that need me."
---

I totally agree with what laura said here. Also, it is an outrage that any institution, in this day and age, when there are so many differant types of people, would discriminate against a child because of who her parents are. I believe that it contributes to giving christians such a bad name. I for one, would never want to be under the same label as such people who would act so unfairly.

------------------
~Who live in a pineapple under the sea?~

~Jenni

Posts: 43 | From: Savannah, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just an update, the mother, Christina Silvas, has reached a settlement with the school. She will stop stripping for the next three weeks to allow her child to finish kindergarten. after that, the child will either attend a different school, or her daddy will have to start pitching in money for education.

me personally, i uphold the christian school's right to be stupid. ehh, she's better off saving her pennies and sending the girl to a public school anyway, imho. then again, i had a bad experience at christian school, but am otherwise a successful product of california's public school system.

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not agree with the school's right to be stupid. However, I cannot for the life of me work out why a clearly liberal minded mother would want to sent their child to this "Christian" school. Clearly besides acedemic studies that school will also impart the same moral backwardness to the child that discriminates against the mother. No, the school should not be turning their nose up at the mother. On the contrary, the mother can maintain the true moral highground by announcing she wouldnt dream of sending her child to the school now, after all this silly fuss.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's worth mentioning, that in the States, some public school systems are just beyond substandard, and thus plenty of parents who are not religious, or who do not subscribe to the beliefs of Christian or Catholic schools send their children there because they are simply superior schools to what else is locally available.

I agree, this is a really pathetic story. However, I think coming down hard on the mother for where she deems fit to send her child to school is unecessary.

On the other hand, from what I understand, the tution at that school was very, very low comparatively (bear in mind, I worked in the private schools for years), so I do have to question the notion that she "had to strip" to pay it. My guess is, she has plenty of reasons for stripping, all of which are likely just fine, and tuition doesn't need to be an excuse to do so.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68187 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing I'd like to mention is that the "Christian" school is practicing very bad theology. Most Christian theologians, fundamentalist and liberal, feel that punishing children for the sins of the parents is a mis-reading of Exodus 20:5. Since I don't want to get into a long discussion of this here, I would like to refer all interested to http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/sbs777/vital/visiting.html . Typing "sins of the fathers" into the Google search engine will provide many more pages reinforcing this view.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 05-23-2002).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.