Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Hot, or not?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hot, or not?
Fishyfishyfish
Neophyte
Member # 8121

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Fishyfishyfish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In school, all the time, I here he's hot or she's hot, but I don't get it, what makes someone hot or "cold" (hehehe)?

------------------
Einstien would turn over in his grave. Not only does god play dice, the dice are loaded.
-Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang
"Looking God in the Eye"

Posts: 18 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hot" as i've heard it, is just a slang term to say whether or not someone is attractive. This is another good example of why slang is bad, it's easier just to say "he's attrative" or "she's pretty".

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That doesn't follow in my opinion. "Hot" uses a single simple syllable. Therefore, it is easier to say and a lot quicker to type. Furthermore, it does not endorse any stereotypes or offend any minorities like how the misuse of the word "gay" does. The war against slang can only go so far. After all, everything was slang originally!

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somewhatanonymous
Activist
Member # 3820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for somewhatanonymous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just a matter of personal preception, although there have been numerous studies on what kind of norms our society holds as to what is attractive. They have yeilded such *extreeme sarcasm* incredibly useful tidbits of information such as:
girls - hourglass figure, waist 1/3 smaller than sholders and hips
guys - tall and broad shouldered
both - youthful and healthy

Which helps us about none considering how vauge those descriptions are, and I seriously doubt they are all that prevailant of a norm anyway.

It's a matter of personal taste really.

Posts: 141 | From: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the word "hot" to describe someone I'm attracted to, because it doesn't include a value judgement about that person, just my own opinion. I can say someone is hot even if they are nowhere near cultural norms of beauty, just because I'm attracted to them. I also often use hot to describe someone that's doing something cool, like transgressing prescribed gender roles, loving their body, or just dressed really interestingly.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I also often use hot to describe someone that's doing something cool,
[/B]

You know, its interesting, but that may be one of the few metaphors in English that doesn't fucntion properly within its model- that is, hot and cool aren't at the opposite end of the scale like they are on a thermometer. Sorry, I know thats off topic, but its really interesting.

As for me, I use the word sometimes to mean "sexually attractive"- usually when I am talking more about the physical attributes that I find attractive (which are not necessarily those of the mainstream standards), than when I am talking about being attracted to someone as a whole person.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 7 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
grrr... i HATE the term "hot"... and i'm not one to use the term hate lightly... serously... who thought of that... okay i've told all of my friends my reason for why i dont like the word hot... maybe it will make u laugh... or... maybe u'll just think i'm odd... but:
hot makes me think of food
food makes me think of chicken
people just arent chickens
therefore... people just cant be hot

wat do u think? its logical... i a way =) lol yah... but u know how if u hear something enouf u get used to it... i guess i'm kind of getting used to the term hot... altho i still cringe when i hear it used in the referance of how cute someone is

Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah no, you have ruined the word "hot" for me now! I wont be able to stop thinking of chickens whenever I hear it now!

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishyfishyfish
Neophyte
Member # 8121

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Fishyfishyfish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like this is a HOT topic(lol). I have to agree with celtic daisy, why couldn't they use a word that fits. Hot just dosen't make sense as a description of people. I've got another question. Can someone be cool & hot at the same time? From what i've heard, they can, and that <B>really</B> dosen't make any sense.

------------------
Einstien would turn over in his grave. Not only does god play dice, the dice are loaded.
-Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang
"Looking God in the Eye"

Posts: 18 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryha
Activist
Member # 7897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't be too literal with these terms. . . There really is no point. Hot, cool, they mean about as much as groovy and funky used to. I mean, if someone is hot and cool that generally means they are physically attractive (hot) and an interesting/ popular (cool) person. In any case, it's just a fun term. . . Like "steamy" or "fresh" (although, "fresh" is not one of my favorites). Since they are slang terms, you really can't think about their actual meanings, because mostly it's all in the intonation.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Touchstone
Neophyte
Member # 3659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Touchstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess 'hot' varies from person to person, but i don't think it has to do with whether or not you like the person. This kid at school, who i really dislike, i think of as incredibly hot, but i still hate her. My friend, who i have a crush on, i think of as not hot, but so?

----------------------
What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony is no more than information to the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have recieved the information, now act on it. Take control of the imput, and you shall become master of the output.
- Chairman Sheng-ji Yang
"Essays on Mind and Matter"

[This message has been edited by Touchstone (edited 05-16-2002).]

Posts: 36 | From: USA, NY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 12 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I basically agree with Touchstone...you can ask people now to define 'hot' and you'll probably come up with a million different responses. .

It's the same with how people view that type of thing...some girls get offended when they're called "chicks" while others take it to be a compliment.

------------------
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. - Sir Winston Churchill

Luv,
Dahlia @ here or here

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Maryha said, it's a pretty simple subject.

Usually people are called "hot" if someone is attracted to them. There's really no gray area, it's just that basic.

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Touchstone
Neophyte
Member # 3659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Touchstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree, there is a grey area. Someone could say "hey she's hot"(1) and i could say "hell no"(2), and a friend could say "enh, shes ok"(3).

1 & 2 being black and white, while 3 being the gray area

Posts: 36 | From: USA, NY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what Daydreamer is saying, Touchstone, is that the concept of what 'hot' means in this case, is a simple one, with no gray area. That 'hot' means that someone is attractive, without question, is I think what Daydreamer was getting at.

------------------
She's a smooth operator/It's all so calculated/She's got a calculator/She's my soft touch typewriter
-Elvis Costello

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.