Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » The "Underwear Check"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The "Underwear Check"
SurfGal
Activist
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SurfGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently heard about an incident at a highschool where the Vice Principal conducted "underwear checks" on female students. She asked them what type of underwear they were wearing, and if they answered that they were wearing a thong, she forced them to leave and return only when they were wearing appropriate underclothing. The local news even reported that she allegedly lifted up skirts of female students. What do ya'll think about this? Does a school have the right to dictate what is "appropriate", even to the degree of UNDERCLOTHING?
Posts: 81 | From: Jacksonville, FL. 32218 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to fill in the rest of the story, I don't have any real opinion about this right now --

The "underwear checks" happened at a school costume party dance. It all came about because the school officials were trying to enforce the school's dress code policies.
The school had had problems in the past at school dances with students removing their underwear, flashing their breasts, and having sexual contact on school grounds.

Just the girls wearing dresses were asked to see if they were wearing thongs. If they said no, they were not, then they were allowed to enter. If not, they were checked and sent home to change into proper attire.

Boys wearing togas were also checked by male teachers to see if they were wearing underwear at all.

Right now this case is just being investigated by school officials due to complaints from parents, not from solid evidence that this actually happened.

School District Superintendant Don Phillips said, "We are taking this seriously and want to ensure that any actions to be taken are based upon the facts."

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch, online news sources

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enforcing school dress code at a fancy dress party... interestingly crypto-facist.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure when undergarments became a part of the school dress code. I mean, when I was in high school in a ultra-conservative Christian school, they never asked about our underwear. Frankly, I think that if they were having problems with flashing and things like that, then there were much more mature ways to deal with it other than starting an undie check at the door. If the reports that they had to raise their skirts in front of other people were true, then I feel like that definately constitutes harassment.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sun Wu
Activist
Member # 7018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sun Wu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing like that has ever happened at my school... But then again, no one has every flashed other people during a themed dance either. Or, if they have, I haven't heard about it! However, I think it's easier to simply discipline the students who do that kind of stuff than humiliate all the students.
Posts: 117 | From: Where does my name remind you of? well it's wrong! | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a reason why it's underwear. Seriously. If anyone asked to check my underwear at a dance, I would either 1) slap them or 2) run for my lawyer. It's nobody's business but my own.
Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. This just screams gross invasion of privacy. My underwear is my business. There is no situation in which an underwear check is necessary or warranted. If you're worried about flashing, then you wait until there's a violation and then you take action. Against only those who actually broke rules and flashed. You do not institute blanket checks at the door to ensure that everyone is wearing underwear.

There is no justification for this.

------------------
Tim
Can You Read Further?

"Take sex for example. There's nothing funnier than the faces you people make mid-coitus." -- Metatron (Dogma)

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's horrible. I'd be pretty weirded out as well as somewhat offended if someone asked me if i was wearing underwear and what kind. Also, i hardly think that if you're wearing a thong or "regular" underwear is gonna change the flashing factor too much. Underwear is not part of the dress code (well, i guess if you're running around with it outside your clothes, hhaah, mental picture ).

Schools should not be allowed to do that, it's a serious invasion of privacy.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first thought was the same as Celtic's- how in the world is the type of underwear you are wearing going to stop you from flashing? What is to stop someone from just going into the bathroom and changing into a thong or no underwear at all? What is to stop someone from lying about it in the first place?

This can only be classed as an invasion of privacy, and honestly, I believe that its probably because the school wasn't taking the students privacy seriously enough due to the fact that they are minors.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard stories about private school girls who wear thongs with their little uniform skirts, and I can see how that would be a problem. One private school near hear is forcing girls to wear tights with their uniform skirts so that they can't show too much leg (e.g. by hitching up their skirts, and it would seem to solve the thong issue, too). Why don't they just make girls wear pants uniforms?

I know this is only semi-related, sorry.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 4 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Underwear checks? That just sounds down right nosy to me! Does it matter what kind of underwear you're wearing? No! I bet you the people doing the underwear checks are wearing snakeskin thongs ! People who think underwear is so important have their priorities wrong. I mean school is for LEARNING, not having your knickers goggled at! There are so much bigger issues in the world. *lotsa hugs from da bajjah*
Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may seem a bit weird for me to say this, but i almost see the point of this. Before anyone goes nutso on me, let me explain.

How childish and downright RUDE are those people that are flashing and involving in sexual activities at these school functions ... ? Teachers and administration at the school have to do something about it. Maybe this is not the best 'something' that should be done, but for now, for the sake of an equal sided arguement, we'll say it is. If girls are wearing no underwear under their skirts, it's a heck of a lot easier for them to be flashing themselves around than it would be if they had underwear on. Even if this is a small percentage of students, something has to be done. These small percentage of students are eventually going to stop doing it b/c their peers that aren't involved in the behavior at question here don't like having to pull their pants down for teachers, and in most cases, they WILL say so. Or they'll just give up, and these school functions will be cancelled b/c there isn't enough people ... Problem solved anyway.

It's not nice either way ... But i'm not really sure how you'd fix this, unless you had more supervision and just tossed out the first person doing anything sexual at all. But thinking like a teacher or school admin., it's easier to search underwear than get extra staff members to volunteer their after hours time to be making sure nothing unappropriate is going on.

To be completely honest, i'm not sure what i'd do if someone asked to see my underwear. Probably laugh in their face and then pull down my pants ... I have nothing to hide, and it's only underwear. I realize not everyone shares my views and that's fine. I'm in no way saying anyone here has something to hide or that people here would be involved in stuff like this. I'm just trying to play a bit of devils advocate here ...

Treat others the way you should be treated. If these people are flashing their bits around and then getting offended when someone of authority wants to see underwear ... It just doesn't make sense to me.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somekrazydude
Activist
Member # 6355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for somekrazydude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with what you are akk saying. in canada, it would be a full and total infringement of the person's rights. besides, like celtic and many others have said, underwear doesn't matter. wearing it or not, it will not stem the situations that been going on in that school. there are better ways to go about that than just lifting up a girl's skirt and lookng at her underwear. i think it's just sad and pathetic that the administrator had to resort to this kind of act. i thought we had evolved past this but obviously we haven't. there are still some lessons to be learned on manners and etiquette.

------------------
"The complexity of my heart and soul is the key to unlocking the essence of my being."

Posts: 76 | From: Winterpeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LilBlueSmurf:
If these people are flashing their bits around and then getting offended when someone of authority wants to see underwear ... It just doesn't make sense to me.

But the people flashing aren't the exact same people who are receiving underwear checks. They only come from the same group of students. If someone wants to check my underwear unannounced because John and Jane were flashing, that's going to be a problem.

------------------
Sapphire Cat
Looks won't tell who's living inside.
Artist, poet, programmer, dreamer, and crossdressing bondage kitty

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, SaphireCat, and you are most likely going to go to John and Jane and ask them what the heck they're trying to pull here, b/c YOU are now getting underwear checks and that's not cool. Peer pressure can be used in good ways too ...
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peer pressure as a method of lazy discipline always seemed like a bit of a bad idea. It's not the students' job to do what the administration should be doing, especially when that could potentially put the student in a dangerous position (not everyone's going to respond well to some classmate criticising then!).

------------------
Why scream and shout when you know it's true?
Why fall in love when there's better things to do?

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tel'kella
Neophyte
Member # 6109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tel'kella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is CNN's article on this incident. I'm not really sure what to think of it all myself, but thought I'd post this in case anyone wanted to see the details.
Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PixieDust
Activist
Member # 4003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PixieDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cuz ya know, normal underwear are sooo much harder to remove than thongs...
Posts: 86 | From: Las Vegas, NV, United States | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My lord, I just thought, what if it had been a man who was conducting those underwear checks! That would have made any law suite pretty open and shut then.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they did that to me, there would be a law suit and my school can't afford that, heck they can't even buy supplies. I think the reason they did this is because it caused all the male administers to get horny.
Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ~jess~:
I think the reason they did this is because it caused all the male administers to get horny.

eeep... that's disturbing o.O

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 9 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
underwear checks... the only way they should be checking is if the straps are coming out from the top of a pair of jeans or when the person if front of you bends down to tie their shoe and ::WHOOSH:: there are two tiny little straps edging up their sides... lol... in my school there are no such things as underwear check... and they're shouldn’t be... it is at the discretion of the person wearing whatever they want under their clothes... but I would like to mention that these people wearing thongs and g-strings be at least a little discrete about it... I mean come on, not everyone needs to know what you're wearing under your clothes. I hate looking at those things... when I wear one I at least make sure its not popping out every at least 15/20 minutes...

otherwise... if the reason for these checks is because the school can not seem to control the students... my question is: why are they even having these dances?

truthfully... if they're becoming so risque that girls are flashing people or taking off their undergarments, and students are having sexual activities everywhere... than the dances should (nice and simply) be stopped

Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

Last night at a meeting of the Poway Unified School Board, the vice principal who conducted the "thong check" was removed from her post and demoted to a teaching position at a different high school.

The Board found that while student behavior (including "freak dancing") has grown increasingly out of hand in recent years, this did not warrant the "invasive" underwear check that Vice Principal Rita Wilson decided to conduct. So the Board said that from now on they will have extra staffing at all school dances to ensure that inappropriate activity there is curtailed, and no longer will any underwear checks be conducted under any circumstances.

The vice principal can still appeal, but with a unanimous vote from the school board against her, she really doesn't have much hope.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they started doing "underwear checks" at my school events, I would quit going to anything school sponsored (although I barely go to any now )and I would bet a lot of other people would stop going too. Especially if I had to pay to get into the event. Why would anyone pay to get in somewhere and then have to show their underwear to some teacher or principal?

But at least something was done about it. Although, I'm not so sure I'd be happy having her as a teacher either.

------------------
Some days the line I walk, turns out to be straight.Other days the line tends to deviate. - Ani DiFranco

Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A link to the AP release on Salon.com:
http://www.salon.com/people/wire/2002/06/18/thong_check/index.html

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelicmadrigal
Activist
Member # 8854

Icon 10 posted      Profile for angelicmadrigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may sound terrible , but I actually find the situation semi humorous.

I can understand where the school's coming from, because when I was a student I did the same things at dances, I mean wearing g/strings, short dresses, the works to dances and stuff. However I was NEVER, I repeat NEVER caught having sex on the school grounds, EVER! School is NOT the place fot that conduct.

However, checking people's underwear?! I mean come on. Like that's going to stop anyone from taking off their panties and getting booty on school grounds. It's the person NOT the underwear that maes people sexy. Sure a pain of crothcless panties/no panties/no bra/ short skirt/etc... wuld make being sexual during/after schoool, or at a dance would be EASIER, but checking students underwear won't solve the problem. Silly administration.

Posts: 100 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phattygirl1589
Neophyte
Member # 9173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phattygirl1589     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that principal is crazy.... I think what you wear under your clothes is your buisness. she had no right to do wut she did. Please tell me how there is an appropriatness of underware. i coild understand if these were like elementary school kids walkin around in thongs but even if they were she has no right to ask them what type of underware there wearing or to pull up there skirts. I'll tell you if she pulled up my skirt she woulda got her a** kicked!!!!

------------------
PHATTY GIRL

Posts: 4 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phattygirl1589
Neophyte
Member # 9173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phattygirl1589     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that principal is crazy.... I think what you wear under your clothes is your buisness. she had no right to do wut she did. Please tell me how there is an appropriatness of underware. i could understand if these were like elementary school kids walkin around in thongs but even if they were she has no right to ask them what type of underware there wearing or to pull up there skirts. I'll tell you if she pulled up my skirt she woulda got her a** kicked!!!!

------------------
PHATTY GIRL

Posts: 4 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OoMEoO
Activist
Member # 6026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OoMEoO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think thats absolutely disgusting! I would seriously give whoever is checking my underwear a lecture and definitely slap them. That is just taking it WAY to far. Good gracious...and also cuz im a thong wearer always and take pride in it and NO ONE, i repeat, NO ONE is stopping me from wearing my thongs!
Posts: 118 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrincessDeshia
Neophyte
Member # 9131

Icon 13 posted      Profile for PrincessDeshia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about that on the radio, and I think it's wrong to look up under people skirts and everything. Besides, some people are too young to be wearing thongs anyway. Sorry if I made anyone upset.

------------------
Practice makes perfect but everyone's not perfect, are they?
~*~PrincessDeshia~*~

Posts: 2 | From: Memphis,Tenn. U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shenzie2007
Activist
Member # 9027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shenzie2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HEY! I don't think it's anybody's business what you wear under your outer clothes. If someone asked me what underwear I was wearing, I'd mutter 'perv' and slap them too.
quote:
Originally posted by PrincessDeshia:
Besides, some people are too young to be wearing thongs anyway.

I don't think that a teenager is too young to be wearing a thong. It's their own choice anyway; nobody else's beeswax.

Posts: 73 | From: dallas, texas, usa | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.